Tumbledown Mountain Trail

Tumbledown Mountain Trail is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Weld, Maine that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

There are two parking lots next to each trailhead. Coming from Weld, you will run into the Brook Trail parking lot on your left with the trail head on your right. About 1.2 miles down, you will run into the parking lot for Loop Trail.

While this app is helpful, the Maine Mountain Guide should be everyone’s go to for info before this hike to avoid any surprises. The Loop Trail is very strenuous and dangerous if wet. Having said that, my son and I did Loop Trail up, then the Brook Trail down, only because of the “Chimney” portion, and I think climbing up the metal rungs is easier than coming down. I would advise no dogs on the Loop Trail because of this spot, but that just my opinion.
Once you reach the Tumbledown Boulder (which you can’t miss) you start to gain most of your elevation. This is were it starts to get strenuous. It stays that way until you reach the “Chimney “ The blue blazes in spots were sometimes hard to locate but the beaten path helped guide us. Once past the Chimney, it levels off shortly, then it opens up to the metamorphic rock that you can see at the top, then eventually you can look down on Tumbledown Pond. This hike can get very crowded so we left the parking lot by 8:30 am, and were at the top by 11:30, seeing only 3 others. At the top there were a few people scattered about but didn’t feel crowded. After 1/2 hour or so taking in the beautiful views, we came down the Brook Trail. A lot of boulder scrambling at first, followed by some rocky and muddy spots, then what looked to be like a dry riverbed. Then it eventually turned into a tote road. We made it back by 1:10. 4 1/2 hrs round trip. Once back on the road, it was evident at how busy it can get with the amount of cars along the road.
Don’t let the elevation fool you. This is a very strenuous hike no matter the trail to the top. Read the guide, plan accordingly. Don’t just rely on this app as evidenced by others who were “surprised” at what they encountered. Also, have fun! This hike has amazing views!

Great Hike! We took Parker Ridge Trail up and came down Brook trail. Lots of cars at the parking lot, but only saw one group of hikers on Parker Ridge as they were coming down. Got to top, lots of people and dogs. Beautiful views. Roundtrip mileage with these two trails came out to 6.29 miles which is longer than the mileage noted on any trail info we had seen. It was a bit challenging at times because we had our dog with us. He did great and we've renamed him Mountain Goat!

Super tough
Great hike
Wasn’t expecting the ‘chimney’ with my dog
Carrying a 70 lb. lab up that wasn’t fun
He made it
Not super dog friendly unless you have a harness and a sling for your 4 legged friend
We used a sweatshirt as a sling. Loved the pond at summit - did this with two kids, 11∧13, and my husband. Will def go back

Loved this trail! Such a good hike but definately would not bring my dog again! we had to carry her up several spots, especially through the chimney section.

We went on a seemingly nice day but about a mile and a half up (which felt like so much longer due to the steep trail up) it started thundering, lightening and raining so we felt best to turn around and try again another day. From what I experienced, it was a great hike but pretty challenging with the incline. Can't wait to try it again soon!! P.s. If you find yourself having to turn around make sure you have good shoes to grip the rocks, it is very steep and slippery when wet!

DID THIS AS AN OVERNIGHT WITH MY DAUGHTER ABI. WE LOVED IT. GREAT VIEWS TRAIL POND. A MUST DO.

I found getting to the top challenging. Definitely worth the trip

This trail was more challenging than I had expected. I hiked it alone and wish I had someone with me. I lost the trail twice near the top due to fewer blazes. The chimney was more of a challenge than I had anticipated as well. Again if I had someone with me it would have been easier. I would not recommend kids or dogs on this trail. Still a great hike though.

Very memorable hike with my son and grandson. Tough in spots. Awesome views.

By far one of my favorite challenging trails in Maine.

This was a fantastic hike, but very challenging. You will see some amazing views and trails full of variety (stone, plant life, mushrooms, etc). But it was a difficult climb, sometimes almost vertical - and dangerous in places. Leave kids and pets at home and be very careful - I nearly bit it a couple times. The chimney is fun, but difficult to maneuver at 6' tall and 47 year old bones :)
The pond is very rewarding - so peaceful and beautiful. The trip down Brook trail was a little dull after the exciting ascent up Loop and the beauty of the pond, but still worth it. So be careful, but give this one a try.

Read the trail description before deciding on bringing dogs and kids. The trail is not well marked, but easy to follow. Even the most agile dogs will need help climbing the metal rungs in the chimney section. The difficult section is not very long but could be dangerous for children. With those caveats in mind it is a phenomenally fun hike with rewarding views, blueberries(in season) and a cool mountain lake for swimming or just viewing. The last 1.5 miles is just a dirt road walk from The Brook Trailhead back to the Loop trailhead so stash a bike or a car if you can.

Hiked this a few times but last one was in July. Rigorous hike up the loop but so much fun. Love squeezing through the chimney. The views at the top are incredible! Plan to go again this fall and camp.

Awesome hike! Went up Loop and down Brook trail. Did some exploring at the top near West Peak. Loop definitely has a steep ascent - I wouldn’t recommend it for dogs, children, or inexperienced hikers. For three athletic people it took us about 4 hours.

Best hike I’ve done so far this summer! Definitely worth the hard rating. There were lots of rocks to scramble over and many views along the way. I had so much fun doing this trail. The first 3/4 of a mile is relatively flat and then it turns into a rock climb. It levels out after a bit with gorgeous views of the peak. After that the trail goes straight up again. Close to the top you reach a spot that looks like you have to climb sheer rock face but there is a crevice to scramble through with iron rungs inside. Difficult for a shorter person like me to maneuver but doable! We hiked up to the west peak first (much less busy) and then went to the lower of the two. The views at the top are unreal and not too far from the lower peak the pond is great to cool down in (albeit a little crowded). The one con for me was the road - beware if you have two wheel drive - the road is dirt approaching the trailhead and very steep in some spots. If it had been wet at all, my car wouldn’t have made it. If you plan to come down the Brook Trail (which I'd suggest), I’d recommend parking by the Brook Trail and walking the 1.5 miles to the Loop trailhead first. I'll be back for sure! 10/10

After spending so many summers here growing up, and my kids being fifth generation to love Weld, I finally joined them for the second year in a row on this amazing climb. Take the Loop up and the Brook Trail down. Yes, it’s hard. But yes, it’s rewarding beyond belief. Don’t let your age or fitness level discourage you. Do it. Push yourself. The timing is never right, you make it right. Know you can do it. Once at the top, savor it. Listen, feel the air and smell the freshest air ever. Pick sweet blueberries all the way down to Crater Lake and feel how cold the water is! The fish are mesmerizing. You’ll be sore, your knees will ache on the way down, you may strain an ankle, but do it. Then you’re hooked.

Wonderful, Actually did the Brook Trail instead of the loop. Still very peaceful first thing in the morning. It got busy in the afternoon.

Great hike! Feels a bit longer on the loop trail on the way up. Brought my parents and my dog—not sure it was suitable for either of them. Went down brook trail. May try another way up next time, my dog still isn’t looking me in the eyes after I had to pick her up by her backpack...awesome hike, awesome views. Saw a frog, toad, snake and fish. Not many people which I like!

Awesome hike. The top of the loop trail is pretty intense but so worth it.
Views are spectacular from the top.

This was a stunning hike heading up the mountain trail and down Brook. We nearly lost our way at the chimney because the blue markers become difficult to find. Just keep heading up and you’ll find your way.
Difficult is an accurate description; you’ll find yourself huffing and puffing as you climb up all of the rocks to make it to the summit. But boy was it worth it!
Brook had far too many people on it, and was overcrowded for my taste. But the pond you walk by is quite lovely!

Tricky and rocky hike for sure! Wouldn't recommend going during/right after rain storms, or bringing small kids. The views are breathtaking and the pond at the top is incredible. 10/10 will do again.

Went up Brook trail and down Loop trail. Perfect weather on a mild July day. We were originally planning on doing an out and back on the Brook trail but after reaching the pond a group with small kids said we should check out the Loop trail. Boy were they right! Very cool experience climbing through the chimney using the iron rungs. Many near vertical sections at the top end of the trail. Channel your inner mountain goat! Not for the faint of heart. Beautiful views on the way down. The descent took quite awhile. Most folks come up Loop and descend Brook. However, no matter which direction you travel Loop trail is a challenge. Not sure I would attempt this climb if it were raining. If the weather is warm make sure you bring your bathing suit and take a dip in the pond at the top!

At age 66 and a novice this was a challenge. Took the Brook trail in and out. The views on the way up were great but to icing on the cake was the pond, was larger than I expected and beautiful as were the views of the surrounding landscape. Well worth the effort.

incredible hike. very challenging. did the whole loop barefoot and the views on a clear day are amazing

Great hike. Very steep and rocky with some rock climbing. Great views from top. Very nice pond to swim at top of brook trail.

Loop trail is hard, lots of rock climbing, and if you go when it's raining as I did, it's slippery. I wouldn't bring children along on the loop. Rock chimney was fun, trail blazes are few and far between at the top, not that there's many options to choose from. View were incredible! The brook trail down was mostly rocks until turned to a tote road.

A difficult hike if you take the Loop Trail up, but was a lot of fun. If you like climbing rocks, this is for you. The views were incredible, and there is a pond near the summit people swim and camp by. I would not recommend bringing children or dogs on this hike. It took about 4.5 hours round trip.

If you're looking for a challenging hike, this is the trail for you. it's well kept and very rugged. There are lots of tall stones and some climbing involved. I started on the loop trail to reach the summit and spent the night at the pond in a tent. The "chimney" is kind of like a tight, small cave you have to climb up 3 staples in large stones to get through. It's impossible to climb through with your backpack on your back so I'd advise to hike with a friend and have them reach over to pull the backpacks up and then climb up yourself. We parked and started at the loop trail and came back out through the Brook trail.

Must love boulders!

We parked at the Brook Trail trailhead parking lot and walked along the road and took the Loop Trail to summit. It’s pretty steep right from the start so you get a good cardio workout in. You quickly start bouldering, which in our opinion is super fun. I’ve seen people take their kids up but I’d encourage you to re-consider if your child is not an experienced hiker. Fat Man’s Misery is certainly a challenge. I’m personally very short and find it difficult to get my leg up to the first big step so I can hoist myself up to reach the iron rungs. There is a perfect little pocket to reach your left hand up towards but you can’t see it at first. I just kind of reached around and when I noticed it, it made things much easier for me. Also, if you have poles attached to your pack be careful not to get stuck once you’re going through. My husbands have gotten him pretty badly wedged up in there and was difficult to figure that out as they were on his back. We have never gone down the Loop and probably never will. It’s do-able for sure but will be a challenge and make for a very slow descent. We really enjoy following the brook down the Brook Trail. The pond at the summit is super pretty and the views are amazing. Happy trails!

Great hike... challenging but rewarding... fat man's misery gave us a run for our money(we had 2 kids with us) but we made it and I'm so glad we did this hike!