Tumbledown Mountain Trail is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Weld, Maine that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,952 feet Route Type: Loop

Note: This trail is not recommended for dogs due to the presence of a ladder and multiple sections that may require you to lift your dog.

Been hiking here since I was 11 great view and an amazing hike all around. Park at the brook trail entrance and walk up the road about a mile to the loop trail head to avoid a tedious walk at the end. The lake at the top is filled with muck you can swim in it but be prepared to be knee deep in an unknown substance. The trail recommends 64oz of water and on a hot day you might want more. I’ll continue to come here year after year for the views and the challenge.

Hiked this yesterday with a small group, including someone in their 60s. Starting at the Loop Trail and coming down the Brook Trail is what I'd recommend. The Loop Trail is challenging, with lots of steep inclines and is very rocky. You also have to climb up a waterfall and through a cave, so be prepared to work. The view at the top though is worth it, on a nice clear day you can see all the way to Mount Washington.

We took the Loop trail up which is definitely hard, vertical the whole way but beautiful views and the cave is fun! The snow had melted and the streams were flowing, just a little bit of ice left when entering the cave but otherwise all water now. Went to the peak and then to the lake before heading back on the Brook Trail. Highly recommend the Loop if you’re up for a steep climb. We wore sneakers and were fine. Loved everything except the bugs, they were really out to get us, until we reached the top and then the wind kicked in.

Still lots of ice near the summit, with fat man’s misery (the chimney at the top) nearly impassable due to ice. We had crampons and a rope (we have experience with this trail in winter) and made it through fine, but it is dangerous without the right shoes, experience, and equipment. It seems that a lot of folks attempt this trail without doing their research.. it is not a good trail for dogs, and certainly not a trail for small children or beginners, especially in winter. If you are prepared, this is one of the best hikes in the area and would highly recommend! We typically park at the bottom of the Brook trail, walk the mile up to this trailhead, and then descend on Brook back to our car.

This is one of my favorite hikes of all time. That being said I would give it a couple more weeks do thaw out the cave. Climbing through is very dangerous due to ice at the moment.

icy

I would not suggest taking this trail during the winter time. we were heading up to go camping with large packs on and found it very difficult steep and dangerous. we climbed through a small crack between two big rocks and it was completely covered in ice, with the rungs covered as well. You had to slide on your body straight up rock completely covered in ice to get through this passage. this is not a easy way up, it’s practically walking up a frozen waterfall. if you were planning to go camping at the pond I suggest doing a different trail during winter/spring melt!

icy

We parked at the brook trail lot and walked ~1.2 miles along the road to pick up the loop trail to the summit. There was a good amount of ice through Fat Man’s Misery stretch, making it borderline impassable particularly through the cave since the rungs were covered with ice, but we managed to get through. Took the brook trail down which was a breeze right to the car. Definitely recommend loop trail up; it was challenging, fun and incredible views the whole way!

icy

Always a great hike - did the loop trail - ladder was covered in ice, with a small pocket that we were able to army crawl through (don’t recommend taking this trail just yet) - being waterproof shoes - none the less, a great hike that provides a good workout with good views.

icy

Beautiful view from the top! You can see Webb lake to the east and Sunday River and the edge of the white mountains to the west! Beautiful spot definitely worth the 1 1/2 hour drive for me! Trail was a bit rocky and pretty wet until it turned to snow. Definitely wear waterproof shoes!!! Many stream crossings and the whole trail up is essentially just a run off from the pond up top so it’s pretty wet

icy

We hiked the loop trail today expecting to get to the top and take the brook trail back. However, once we got to the chimney we found that it was completely blocked by ice. We were unable to climb to the top so we had to hike back down the loop trail. This wouldn’t have been such a big deal, but it is still wicked snowy and icy which made hiking back down pretty treacherous. I would highly recommend waiting to hike this trail until later in the year, I know we’ll be back.

One of my favorite Maine hikes! Always love climbing through the Chimney part of the trail

One of my all time favorite hikes! Not easy on the knees but you can swim near the top!!