Tumbledown Brook Trail

Tumbledown Brook Trail is a 4.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Weld, Maine that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and rock climbing. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

to pond at top.. rocky, well marked worth the effort

Really well sign posted (maybe they got the memo from previous posters) and was a fun scramble towards the end. Took us about 2hrs 20min r/t with a bit of a stop on top for photos and whatnot! It's windy up there so wear layers!

Awesome trail! Starts out easy and gradually builds on rocky surfaces as you progress. Beautiful waterfalls and what awaits at the end is just unbelievable. First time on this mountain. ♥️

Loved this hike! It was extremely challenging for me, but I'm also a beginner. Lots of scrambling, so be prepared for that! The pond is beautiful, and the summit is gorgeous. Use caution coming down in between the pond and the summit - the blue blazes can be hard to follow. I went off trail a couple of times. Otherwise, great hike!

This is the first time my two kids and my dog hiked this trail. This was my favorite hike so far! The trail was moderate level. Started with dirt and loose rocks and at the top it was more rocks and bigger boulders. My dog enjoyed playing fetch in the lake at the top. Tumbledown has beautiful views,lake at top ,wide spans of rock so you can picnic. Amazing!

We loved it, particularly our 14-month puppy Luna loved the pond on the top of the mountain the most. We were not brave enough to try to swim after we touched the water and it was quite cold. The view is definitely breathtaking! We were lucky to meet a lovely family at the entrance who kindly offered bug spray because we did not know the bug season is still on in late August.

Great ! A little challenging for ages 6-7 towards the top but we all completed it !

Awesome! This was very difficult for me, but I am just starting out on my hiking journey. There was a lot of scrambling. Like other reviews, I will say that the pond is *gorgeous* and the view if you continue on to the summit is breathtaking.

Probably my favorite hike in Maine. It's challenging, but nowhere near impossible. The views and lake are extraordinary. We didn't see a single hiker on the trail over Labor Day weekend 2016. Love u, Maine.

As someone who's mostly hiked in the Midwest, this experience really caught me off guard. I've hiked some challenging sections of The Long Trail and the AT, but neither prepared me for this MODERATE rated trail. Still it was a lot of fun.

In a group of 10 people of various experience levels -- including my girlfriend and our two dogs (one pointer and one Boston Terrier), we completed the trail. I carried a daypack with supplies. The trail is steep and rocky and littered with small streams. Most of the trail is exposed rock, loose rock and large boulders. I feel comfortable describing some of the moments along the trail as dangerous and best suited for people prepared to do a little bouldering.

The view at the top is absolutely worth the challenge of the trail.

Went with my 5 children ages 11 to 16. Took us 1 hour and 45 min up and 1 hour 45 min down, with many little breaks for drinks and taking turns carrying the packs of our water and lunch. The trail is very rocky, and coming down was a little tricky on the footing. The last quarter of the way up was a little challenging, but it was hot that day, and that added to it. Once up, it was most absolutely beautiful. The pond was refreshing for the kids to cool off in, and we went a little further to the top for a most spectacular view. I will definitely be coming back in the fall! I recommend to wear a good pair of hiking shoes and bring more than enough water, and don't forget your camera and bug spray.

I just want to say this trail is NOT hard at all. It's moderate at best. If you're looking for a challenge hike the Loop trail up Tumbledown. It goes to the lake as well, but the trail is much more diverse, very steep in places and has a hole in a rock near the top with metal rungs you have to climb through.