Tumbledown Brook Trail

Tumbledown Brook Trail is a 4.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Weld, Maine that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and rock climbing. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Perfect weather for our first attempt of this trail, 76 degrees and no humidity! The bottom part of the trail showcased typical Maine woodlands. Squirrels and chipmunks could be seen scurrying about. As the trail continued the ascent began. Gentle at first, hardly noticeable even. The last 1 or 2 tenths of a mile the incline became decidedly...aggressive. However, once over the hump you are greeted by a beautiful mountain pond straight out of a postcard! Unfortunately on this day once you crested the trail the wind become quite prominent which dulled our desire to take a dip (that and we didn't have a bathing suits or towels). Great hike. Will definitely repeat when we camp at Mount Blue State Park again. For the way down we chose the Loop trail.

Took about 1.5 hr up and had the pond mostly to ourselves until around noon. Went for a swim and dried up on land before a quick decent. Great hike on a nice warm day.

My favorite hike! My husband proposed to me here and it was my first ever hike! Plan on packing a lunch and bathing suit to go swimming at the top and enjoy the afternoon at the summit. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!!

Broke trail after 4-5 inches of fresh powder. Beautiful day with everything coated in white. Trekked up the brook trail and brewed some coffee at the pond using mountain snow as the water. Pressed on to the peak to face 30-40mph gusts. Amazing. Tried to come down the loop trail but the chimney was frozen in so we backtracked and came down the brook trail. A+ day with good people.

Very well marked. Great hike. Lots of rock /boulder climbing. The pup enjoyed it. Had to lift her up at only one spot (French bulldog). Was icy and slippery with the dusting of snow on it.

to pond at top.. rocky, well marked worth the effort

Really well sign posted (maybe they got the memo from previous posters) and was a fun scramble towards the end. Took us about 2hrs 20min r/t with a bit of a stop on top for photos and whatnot! It's windy up there so wear layers!

Awesome trail! Starts out easy and gradually builds on rocky surfaces as you progress. Beautiful waterfalls and what awaits at the end is just unbelievable. First time on this mountain. ♥️

Loved this hike! It was extremely challenging for me, but I'm also a beginner. Lots of scrambling, so be prepared for that! The pond is beautiful, and the summit is gorgeous. Use caution coming down in between the pond and the summit - the blue blazes can be hard to follow. I went off trail a couple of times. Otherwise, great hike!

This is the first time my two kids and my dog hiked this trail. This was my favorite hike so far! The trail was moderate level. Started with dirt and loose rocks and at the top it was more rocks and bigger boulders. My dog enjoyed playing fetch in the lake at the top. Tumbledown has beautiful views,lake at top ,wide spans of rock so you can picnic. Amazing!

We loved it, particularly our 14-month puppy Luna loved the pond on the top of the mountain the most. We were not brave enough to try to swim after we touched the water and it was quite cold. The view is definitely breathtaking! We were lucky to meet a lovely family at the entrance who kindly offered bug spray because we did not know the bug season is still on in late August.

Great ! A little challenging for ages 6-7 towards the top but we all completed it !

Awesome! This was very difficult for me, but I am just starting out on my hiking journey. There was a lot of scrambling. Like other reviews, I will say that the pond is *gorgeous* and the view if you continue on to the summit is breathtaking.

Probably my favorite hike in Maine. It's challenging, but nowhere near impossible. The views and lake are extraordinary. We didn't see a single hiker on the trail over Labor Day weekend 2016. Love u, Maine.

As someone who's mostly hiked in the Midwest, this experience really caught me off guard. I've hiked some challenging sections of The Long Trail and the AT, but neither prepared me for this MODERATE rated trail. Still it was a lot of fun.

In a group of 10 people of various experience levels -- including my girlfriend and our two dogs (one pointer and one Boston Terrier), we completed the trail. I carried a daypack with supplies. The trail is steep and rocky and littered with small streams. Most of the trail is exposed rock, loose rock and large boulders. I feel comfortable describing some of the moments along the trail as dangerous and best suited for people prepared to do a little bouldering.

The view at the top is absolutely worth the challenge of the trail.

Went with my 5 children ages 11 to 16. Took us 1 hour and 45 min up and 1 hour 45 min down, with many little breaks for drinks and taking turns carrying the packs of our water and lunch. The trail is very rocky, and coming down was a little tricky on the footing. The last quarter of the way up was a little challenging, but it was hot that day, and that added to it. Once up, it was most absolutely beautiful. The pond was refreshing for the kids to cool off in, and we went a little further to the top for a most spectacular view. I will definitely be coming back in the fall! I recommend to wear a good pair of hiking shoes and bring more than enough water, and don't forget your camera and bug spray.

Thursday, June 29, 2017

I just want to say this trail is NOT hard at all. It's moderate at best. If you're looking for a challenge hike the Loop trail up Tumbledown. It goes to the lake as well, but the trail is much more diverse, very steep in places and has a hole in a rock near the top with metal rungs you have to climb through.

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Nice hike, pond is serene. Reminded me of Chimney pond and Katahdin. Go all the way to top for sure, not much longer after the pond. Beautiful views. More traffic than I was expecting, a lot of college kids because of nearby school. Most people hangout at the pond, but the top was quiet enough. The trail was harder than I expected. Walking on small rocks most of the way, much better when it was a scramble about 3/4 way up.

Thursday, November 17, 2016

Started at 7am and took an hour up and hour back. It had rained the night before so the brooks were flowing. Made a very nice, if wet hike. Very windy and cold this time of year and I'll wait till later in the day next time so the sun can burn off the clouds a little.

Monday, November 14, 2016

11.11.16 Snowflakes and wind for the 2 hour out-and-back hike. Hunters along the road so orange is a good ideas. Pond was choppy and the view was cloudy but cleared a bit in the 10 minutes we stayed at the top . No swimming this time of year, but I wonder if people ever bring skates in the winter? Footing near the top can be tricky with roots and rocks and it being a bit steep. In fact, I went to get a better pair of hiking boots after this hike and would like to return in the summer and do the whole loop and summit.

Monday, October 24, 2016

Great hike. Worth the hike to enjoy lunch.

Monday, October 17, 2016

Diverse trail! Dog friendly! Summits at the pond! Great swimming!

Thursday, October 06, 2016

The trail began on a pleasant moderate slope, but became filled with potato sized and larger rocks that made it slow going. About half way up, it got steep and hair pinned back and forth on large boulders and lots of roots. The last few hundred yards was very steep and filled with large boulders. But the beautiful pond at the top and amazing view of Webb Lake and surrounding mountains was SOOO worth it! Another half hour past the pond was the 3000'summit, reached on smooth ledge, not easy but doable. We are 60 years olds in decent physical condition.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

It was much harder than I expected a lot of rock/Boulder climbing. But the lake at the top was amazing.

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Awesome trail but it's called the "loop trail"