Learn more

Trail of the Senses, Pushaw, and Pond Loop

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(24)
Hirundo Wildlife Refuge

Trail of the Senses, Pushaw, and Pond Loop is a 1.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Old Town, Maine that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 1.6 miles Elevation Gain: 52 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

As a lifelong Mainer, I should have known better but I tried to take my toddler along Pushaw Stream and we were eaten alive by mosquitoes. Great for kids in the fall and winter I am sure, we will be back at a less buggy time of year.

One tree down but could easily go over it. Still wet in lower spots but there were plenty of logs and rocks to go on to get around muddy spots.

flooded

I'm torn. I want to say 2 stars, but am saying 4 stars. It was beautiful, lots of paths there, and great signs. the mosquitos are HORRIBLE. We were going crazy trying to get out as soon as possible. I've never experienced bugs that bad. Also, it is a pretty muddy trail, are feet were all soaked. We will go back in the fall, when bugs aren't an issue.

White Pine trail and Wabinaki after the archeological dig site are overgrown and have been taken back by the forest. I hiked Pond, to White Pine, to Thornberry, and then did the Wabinaki loop.

Wed Jul 03 2019

Lots to explore. Saw a Heron fly across the pond. Many types of wild mushrooms. Plenty of shade and spots to rest.

Tue Jul 02 2019

Lots to explore. Saw a Heron on the pond. Many types of mushrooms. Plenty of shade and spots to rest.

Tue Jun 25 2019

I was here in the middle of winter and have yet to have a chance to return unfortunately. I hiked through the snow so its hard telling if i was actually on a trail but I had fun either way. i like the area and the pond. I also liked the interactive pit stops for kids. (Also leave your puppers home because they do not allow pets)

Wed Jun 19 2019

Unfortunately the trail is not dog-friendly as it says here on All Trails. I had to leave because dogs are absolutely not permitted, so I’d update it.

Fri Aug 03 2018

This city slicker forgot her bug spray and was covered with mosquitoes almost immediately. I turned around after 5 minutes and drove to Hudson to buy some Off. I returned fully shielded from those suckers and enjoyed a quick hike from Gate 1 to the pond via the dirt road and returned via Pond Trail. Stopped at the latrine which was clean and stocked with TP and hand sanitizer. A nice variety of well-marked paved, gravel, and rugged trails. It was a weekday morning and I didn’t see another person. Peaceful and easy to get around.

Sun Jun 24 2018

Great place to go for a hike. Always something cool to see. Don't forget your bug spray!

Tue Mar 27 2018

Love this place. There's always wildlife of some sort. The trails are easy. I used to babysit and the kids loved coming here.

Sun Oct 15 2017

Flat and very quiet. I watched a beaver swimming around for quite awhile along the river. Will be great to snowshoe in winter.

Sat Sep 16 2017

a very relaxing walk. we did not see another person on the trail. easy hike but watch the rocks and roots.

Fri May 11 2012

Really nice area, views of the river and some beautiful little spots. Not a strenuous journey by any means. Trails are pretty well marked and maintained. Definitely a nice little place to check out and walk around. It's entirely maintained through volunteers and contributions, a great place to support. I was just saying to myself the other day that I never see Hirundo mentioned anywhere for walking, birding, wildlife viewing, I think maybe even fishing. There is a small store where they sell bird feeders and other things of that nature.

recorded Hurondo hike from Gate 3