Fire Warden Trail

Fire Warden Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Stratton, Maine that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and nature trips and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The Appalachian Mountain Club makes a nice map that covers the Rangeley/Stratton Region(includingBigelow Range), Gulf Hagas & Baxter State Park/Katahdin - it is worth every penny. Bring a camera - this is a beautiful hike Poles are recommended for the descent Plenty of water available for filtration Great overnight options I've seen dogs up there - your call

What a hike! After reading reviews I knew it was difficult, and the hard part was the hike down! Close to 40 years of age, my knees have never ached so bad on a hike before... was it worth it? ABSOLUTELY! The 360 views were literally breathtaking, but, it will take some convincing to get me back, only because of the harsh knee terrain.
It's wet, steep, and when you think your almost at the top- you're not! Haha
I recommend it for sure, but next time I'll buy and use trekking poles so save wear on my knees....
Enjoy! Bring plenty of water!

I consider myself to be a fairly experienced hiker and this was by far the hardest climb I've ever done but if you are willing to push yourself the reward of the summit is well worth it. the first 3 miles of the trail is some rough yet relatively level terrain, it's the last Mile to the summit that gets you. it's pretty much straight up on a narrow trail with loose rocks, down trees and water run off. it took us a little over an hour to cover that last Mile. my advice for anyone going to this trail: get there early, bring plenty of water and snacks, a good pair of hiking shoes (waterproof if you can) and pace yourself. the trail says dog friendly but I don't recommend it. Certainly a challenging hike but well worth it once you get to the top!

Great hike, well-marked, steep finish into the col.

Tuesday, June 02, 2015