The Beehive Loop Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(1327)
Acadia National Park

The Beehive Loop Trail is a 1.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Seal Harbor, Maine that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 1.4 miles Elevation Gain: 488 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

A steep climb to the top of this small mountain with wonderful views out over the Atlantic and surrounding Acadia hills The Beehive Trail is a very popular moderate to difficult out and back or loop trail using iron rungs on ledges of exposed cliffs, and is very steep, offering spectacular views of Sand Beach and the surrounding area at Acadia National Park. Start just north of and across the One way loop road from the Sand Beach parking area, climbing steps and through the forest to some exposed fairly flat rocky areas and a tall cairn of rocks marking your next steps. Be sure to look for the light blue (Carolina Blue) trail markers as the trail can be quickly lost in your enthusiasm to scale the cliffs. Stay on trail as strategically placed iron rungs, bridges and hand and foot holds take the technical part out of the climb. Once at the top you can opt to go down the back side and make it a loop or go down the way you came.

This is a really great hike in Acadia NP. It's basically like the little brother to the iconic Precipice Trail. Honestly, probably just as memorable. I did this as a warm-up before hitting Precipice back in September 2019

This was my first experience with a vertical hike using iron rung bars for cliff ascension and I was not disappointed! A truly stunning climb with gorgeous views and adventure the whole way up. Not for those who have a severe fear of heights or vertigo. I would highly recommend this to anyone who truly enjoys hiking/climbing (not just trail walking). Definitely go up beehive for the climb and down bowl for the lake visit during descent.

Hands down one of the best hikes I’ve ever done!! If you have a fear of heights, pass. Once in a lifetime type of hike

Beautiful hike!

This is an amazing trail if you're willing to take things slowly. The views are amazing. The trail is an uphill climb involving metal ladders driven into the rock, and narrow cliff edges. This is definitely a trail where a good sense of balance is required. I did this with a group of 4 others, all varied skill levels, and we made it to the top in one piece.

This trail is short but one of my favorites- good steep workout and the views are beautiful

Super fun trail, with a little climbing! Certainly not a trail for younger kids and dogs.

Super fun climb, and a view over sand beach!

awesome trail!

Completed 07/18/2019 While it can be a bit crowded with tourists, it's such a fun short trail with a beautiful overlook! The iron rungs are not scary, I saw plenty of young kids around 7 years old on this trail doing it with no issues at all. Even some older folks as well as people of all different shapes & sizes. ** Just make sure to go UP to "beehive" & then DOWN "the bowl" ** It is 100% a must-do if you're in the area. Don't let the other reviews scare you away from this trail!

Short little hike with some rungs up cliff. Lots of tourists on this hike, which can be sketchy. If someone turns around before the top, climbing the rungs can be awkward and slightly dangerous.

This trail is just fun to climb, a jungle gym for adults but do be careful. This isnt a hike for younger kids as theirs dangerious scrambles up iorn rungs but as a thrill seeker I loved every moment of it. It is hard but its not terribly long it took us about 45 minutes to finish.

Such a fun trail to hike. To me, the pictures and some reviews make the hike seem more risky than it is - I thought there were always secure footing options and didn't feel unsafe on the trail at all.

impressive, and much fun - was a faster hike than I expected based on other reviews (august 2019)

Make a larger loop which would include the Behive to the bowl, Gorham mountain,Cadillac cliffs, and the Oceanpath back to sand beach and you have a little of every thing Acadia has to offer in about a 3 hour hike.

icy

Really fun hike! I definitely expected this to be difficult based on the rating and reviews, but it wasn’t at all. I would honestly rate this on the lower scale of moderate. Not for those who are afraid of heights or ledges. The beginning is a bit rocky and then you’ll hop on the beehive trail where you actually climb up the rocky face, with some iron bars for assistance. I came equipped with micro spikes as there was a bit of ice and snow, which worked out well. I wouldn’t have attempted this without them. All in all this took me 1.5 hours, it would have probably taken less in any other season (or without any ice/snow). Nobody else was on the trail and it was totally worth it! Absolutely beautiful views and a very interesting hike.

Easily the coolest trail I’ve ever been on. Heavily trafficked but totally worth it.

Awesome!! I was a little intimidated to try this trail after reading some of the reviews, but it was not nearly as bad as described. Angel’s Landing in Zion is much scarier in comparison. That being said, it is definitely not an easy trail, and it gets scary at times. The trail demands respect and caution. The beehive is really an enjoyable hike. I would definitely do this one again if I am back in Acadia. Bonus: I did this one last weekend and the park was near empty. I saw a couple on the trail and that was it!! It was sunny and cold but no ice or snow on the trail. I would rather brave the cold then do this with a crowd. Off-season has definite perks!!

If you are looking for a quick adrenaline rush, this is it. Beautiful views. I’ve done many trails but nothing like this. I will know be looking for more trails like this. When you are on the beach you can see people like ants climbing up the rocks. This trail is like free style rock climbing with steel rungs to grab onto and a small steel bridge you cross. Highly recommend, you will not regret. Went with a friend that is scared of heights, and he definitely overcame that fear this day!

Great trail but not for the faint of heart....but the view is amazing!

This is a great tail but I would not recommend doing it as shown. we were told that the precipice trail is not safe to descend so we turned around at the top of Champlain mountain. I would also not recommend going down the ladders portion of the Beehive trail. The trail is intended to be one way. It was fairly empty in November but when it's busier it would be a real challenge to go down with all the uphill hikers (not to mention really hard). Gorgeous views the entire time. It's challenging but reasonable. I highly recommend this.

I personally love this hike! It was fun, not too long, and a fun challenge. It is steep and narrow in places, so be aware. The views at the top are stellar!

The trail itself is pretty cool, a lot of climbing up steel rungs. The day I went was incredibly busy, so climbing up Beehive felt like waiting in line for a theme park ride. I suggest going off season or during the week to try to avoid the crowds.

Loved this trail! It was so much fun and a little scary at some points but nothing you can’t handle. This was me and my fiancé’s first ever hike and we were completely fine. It definitely gets a little precarious with scrambling and iron rungs at some points but worth it when you get to the top!!

If you want the same views but are afraid of heights, do Gorham Mountain!