The Beehive Loop Trail

The Beehive Loop Trail is a 1.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Bar Harbor, Maine that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October.

beach

A steep climb to the top of this small mountain with wonderful views out over the Atlantic and surrounding Acadia hills The Beehive Trail is a very popular moderate to difficult out and back or loop trail using iron rungs on ledges of exposed cliffs, and is very steep, offering spectacular views of Sand Beach and the surrounding area at Acadia National Park. Start just north of and across the One way loop road from the Sand Beach parking area, climbing steps and through the forest to some exposed fairly flat rocky areas and a tall cairn of rocks marking your next steps. Be sure to look for the light blue (Carolina Blue) trail markers as the trail can be quickly lost in your enthusiasm to scale the cliffs. Stay on trail as strategically placed iron rungs, bridges and hand and foot holds take the technical part out of the climb. Once at the top you can opt to go down the back side and make it a loop or go down the way you came.

Great hike!

Loved it!

Very steep!!!! You’re basically scouring the cliff by using thin metal bars to help you up. If you’re bad with heights this is not the trail for you

Love it!

Really great views from the top. Although I agree this deserves a "hard" designation due to the steapness and iron rungs, it is quite a short loop. It took us under 20 minutes to reach the summit from the parking lot so we had to add a couple other peaks to our route to fill our time. A fun short hike.

The beginning of this trail is terrifying for someone afraid of heights! I froze on a ledge at one point, which was such a strange thing to happen to me. I wouldn’t do the hike again, but give it 5 stars for the challenge and the amazing view.

great trail, too many people

Beautiful views during this hike, especially if you go during autumn. I would highly recommend. Foggy days you can’t see too much when you get high enough, but a neat experience!

Wild blueberrys everywhere

Wonderful views on this hike! I would call it rock climbing or bouldering instead! Such a thrill and adrenaline rush being on the edge of a cliff climbing high up. Some of the rocks and iron rungs were icy, so I would not advise this during the end of fall season. Dangerous but worth it! Would definitely do again in the summer time!

My favorite of Acadia. A fun trail with the ladders and so beautiful.

A great hike with fantastic views and a fun climb. Just make sure you wear appropriate shoes and follow the instructions at the trail-head and do the hike in a counterclockwise direction, otherwise you end up blocking sections of the trail for people that are going up.
I would stay away if you're afraid of heights but, otherwise, this is a must-do in Acadia!

Great trail with amazing views like others have said, however I'd note that it's best to take the trail up from the Loop Route, then up to Beehive Summit. With the ledges and iron rungs, It could be challenging to descend the eastern face from the summit

Incredible hike with and incredible views. Towards the top you have to hold on to rails that have been put in the rocks. I don't recommend this trail for people who are afraid of heights

Incredible views. Nice cardio getting to the top. Had to use a few metal rungs here and there.

amazing trail..

This hike will get your heart racing...but it is worth the amazing views and the pride you have for yourself for completing it! Must do this if visiting Acadia!

Some reviews make this sound way scarier than it is. I also get queasy with heights. Yes you need to watch your footing and climb some rungs but it is a fun, short trail. We went as the sun began to rise, it was totally empty (week of Oct 14), took us about half hr to get to the top and we had time to settle before the sun peaked out above the ocean. Definitely recommend this over the crowds on Cadillac Mountain (which we also did) for a sunrise!!!

This was such a fun hike. We took about an hour to reach the summit but this was only because we stopped to take a lot of amazing pics. The colors during autumn made it so much better. Definitely worth it.

Nice and short, not too strenuous. We hit the summit in a half hour. Several of great photo opps with the fall colors

This was a phenomenal experience. The views on this trail are beautiful. Paradise!

A little scary but super fun! Beautiful colors in October

I love how fast you get amazing views on this hike! Some scary parts for sure but they just add to the fun!

Beautiful, adrenaline pumping climb.

Went during the summer it was super crowded but still tons of fun. Just don’t look down.

This is strenuous, and if you’re afraid of heights be full warned that there are points of cliff exposure! But it is so worth it for the views! We hiked this immediately after watching the sunrise on Cadillac Mountain, and the trail was very quiet and not many people were on it! You should walk the beach when you’re done! Beautiful views and so worth it!!

Great little hike

Perfectly marked. Do not climb if you are afraid of heights. I have never heard such gasps of awe of the scenery from my wife. Absolutely perfect (hard) hike.

We did this trail right after Precipice and found it actually fairly easy in comparison. There’s a mix of rock scramble and a short iron rung climb but you get to the top if 30 minutes (maybe less, it was raining for us). The views here are absolutely incredible. If you do this hike during peak foliage I think you get the best views. If you go down the Bowl Trail there’s a fun little pond which people go for a dip in the summer.

Amazing views and a great climb.