The Beehive Loop Trail

The Beehive Loop Trail is a 1.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Bar Harbor, Maine that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November.

A steep climb to the top of this small mountain with wonderful views out over the Atlantic and surrounding Acadia hills The Beehive Trail is a very popular moderate to difficult out and back or loop trail using iron rungs on ledges of exposed cliffs, and is very steep, offering spectacular views of Sand Beach and the surrounding area at Acadia National Park. Start just north of and across the One way loop road from the Sand Beach parking area, climbing steps and through the forest to some exposed fairly flat rocky areas and a tall cairn of rocks marking your next steps. Be sure to look for the light blue (Carolina Blue) trail markers as the trail can be quickly lost in your enthusiasm to scale the cliffs. Stay on trail as strategically placed iron rungs, bridges and hand and foot holds take the technical part out of the climb. Once at the top you can opt to go down the back side and make it a loop or go down the way you came.

This was a gorgeous hike with breathtaking views! I would concur with other posters and would discourage you from this one if you’re afraid of heights. I am petrified of heights and had a tough time getting past a couple of dicey spots which required some fairly big steps and/or rungs with a fair amount of exposure. The views atop the summit are worth it though!!

Not for the faint of heart. You should try to go with one other person. I made the mistake of going alone and slipped at one point. Great view at the top and along the way. Very unique climb with ladder rungs.

Cool view over the beach

Ahh, this trail was amazing! It was our first hike in Acadia and unlike anything we've done before. My knees were shaky at times because heights aren't my favorite, but the views were beautiful and worth every step. I really enjoyed using the rungs and the challenge of a ledge near by. We did end up going down the mountain a different route which was fun as well. I highly recommend this hike!

I hiked this trail over Memorial Day weekend and had so much fun, especially during the climbing portion of the trail near the top of the mountain. This was my first hike at Acadia National Park, and it definitely lived up to the hype. After reading other reviews, I was expecting the trail to be more challenging than it actually was, but this one isn't exactly easy either. I can see how someone with a fear of heights or exposure would struggle on this trail, which becomes very narrow and very steep in many spots. The climbing portion is fun and not too difficult, and I say that as someone with minimal climbing experience. The views from the top are amazing and totally worth the effort.

I'd advise going early or on a weekday if possible. We arrived at the trailhead at 8:30 AM on a Saturday and the parking lot was already packed. The traffic on the trail became backed up near the top, where the path forward becomes too narrow in most places to allow you to pass the person ahead of you. Overall, it's a beautiful hike and a totally unique experience.

My favorite thing to do at Acadia! I live in Maine and this is the trail I take any guests to that want to spend some time in Acadia. I’ve done it many times. I will say you should avoid it if you’re afraid of heights because there are some spots that are very high and you have to be pretty close to the edge.

The steep climb is no joke. Not for small kids or those afraid of heights. Gorgeous views.

We came to the beehive trail after making our way down the Champlain trail and either missed the signs saying don’t go DOWN the beehive trail or there weren’t any until at the bottom of the trail (signs at the start of the climb say to take the long hike back). Anyways...best to climb UP this beast rather than down. It was quite harrowing. Views are amazing either way though. Probably your best bet for vertical hiking with the Precipice trail being closed for most of the summer for the peregrine falcons.

Most fun hike I’ve been on in years! Makes me feel like a kid again climbing up Beehive and the views from the top are great!

By far one of the highlights of my trip to Maine. Even in the fog mist and rain this short hike to the top of beehive summit is challenging but fun for a beginner. Wonderful views on clear days at the top.

There are two ways up to beehive the adventurous and the back way. My wife and I took the back way. Still a great hike with beautiful views. A lot of ups and downs over rocks and boulders. I’ll be back to do the adventurous way!

Beautiful and fairly easy to do if you don't ming heights.

Super fun hike. I am an average hiker (only going very occasionally) and found this hike achievable as long as I took my time. The iron rings and cliff lookouts are breathtaking and hammocking on top of the mountain was the cherry on top. We didn’t go down the Bowl Trail as our descent but still fun.

Great hike with a fun twist of climbing on the iron rungs. Fairly accessible route for most people.

Gorgeous views from the top, certainly worth the short climb up. Climbing the rungs and cliffs is fairly straightforward in nice weather; that said, I would not recommend this trail if you have a fear of heights or if the weather is questionable, but barring that you will not be disappointed!

Amazing experience! Views are awesome. Do not attempt if you are afraid of heights

Loved this loop!

How is it possible for the same vista to look even more awesome only 10’ higher?! We hiked to Champlain north trail, only to find even more spectacular views.

Can’t wait to return and Eno camp sometime. My wife is a rockstar for setting this trip up for us.

Beautiful views!

It’s a great hike. Who cares if it’s short? Amazing views the whole way up and super fun to feel a little daring going up the iron rungs. Go early though to avoid other humans.

i love Beehive because you get a rungs and ladders experience that is thrilling, but it doesnt last that long. you can experience a sensation that you are really being risky without much of a risk! the tarn at the end is pretty outstanding, too. bring a picnic and a hammock and relax at the end of the hike!

Fun hike. A bit hard and scary but it was fun to do.

Fun hike; super hyped, really fast we kept hiking up to the lake near the bowl. Steep but not as challenging as we thought.

Hiked on 5/8/18, the day could not have been better. Everything that can be said about the Beehive has already been said - would do it again and again if I could.

Short but steep and technical. Not for anyone afraid of heights or not comfortable with using metal rungs.

Before hiking the trail I psyched myself out by reading too many reviews about the trail. It was honestly not bad at all. Just focus on the ladders and it’s not that hard or scary. The only part I felt any fear on the way up was when a group of teenagers decided to go backwards down the trail while I was on the rungs. Don’t go backwards down the trail you’ll be putting others lives at risk. Hit the trail early because it gets a bit easy. It’s a very quick hike to the top with awesome views the whole way.

Less hike, more climb. There is a point where you have gone far enough that it would probably be more unsafe to try and backtrack than to continue on. So go in knowing that.

Beautiful views, very exhilarating for those who don't frequently hug rock that high. Trek down after the summit a welcome break. 10/10 would climb again.

Lots of fun if you don’t mind climbing some steep sections with the help of iron rungs, and a couple of precarious sections along a cliff face. Great views all around.

Less of a hike and more of a climb. Lots of iron rungs with short horizontal ledges between. Lots of fun, but not one to do if you have a fear of heights.

the hike up was crazy, I can't say I've seen anything like it. a few moments had me pause and realize the vertical drop off the trail might be deadly but all the more excitement. the view at the top can not be beat! also the hike back is a lot easier.