The Beehive Loop Trail

hard 1305 reviews

The Beehive Loop Trail is a 1.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Bar Harbor, Maine that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 1.4 miles Elevation Gain: 488 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

beach

A steep climb to the top of this small mountain with wonderful views out over the Atlantic and surrounding Acadia hills The Beehive Trail is a very popular moderate to difficult out and back or loop trail using iron rungs on ledges of exposed cliffs, and is very steep, offering spectacular views of Sand Beach and the surrounding area at Acadia National Park. Start just north of and across the One way loop road from the Sand Beach parking area, climbing steps and through the forest to some exposed fairly flat rocky areas and a tall cairn of rocks marking your next steps. Be sure to look for the light blue (Carolina Blue) trail markers as the trail can be quickly lost in your enthusiasm to scale the cliffs. Stay on trail as strategically placed iron rungs, bridges and hand and foot holds take the technical part out of the climb. Once at the top you can opt to go down the back side and make it a loop or go down the way you came.

Short little hike with some rungs up cliff. Lots of tourists on this hike, which can be sketchy. If someone turns around before the top, climbing the rungs can be awkward and slightly dangerous.

This trail is just fun to climb, a jungle gym for adults but do be careful. This isnt a hike for younger kids as theirs dangerious scrambles up iorn rungs but as a thrill seeker I loved every moment of it. It is hard but its not terribly long it took us about 45 minutes to finish.

Such a fun trail to hike. To me, the pictures and some reviews make the hike seem more risky than it is - I thought there were always secure footing options and didn't feel unsafe on the trail at all.

impressive, and much fun - was a faster hike than I expected based on other reviews (august 2019)

Make a larger loop which would include the Behive to the bowl, Gorham mountain,Cadillac cliffs, and the Oceanpath back to sand beach and you have a little of every thing Acadia has to offer in about a 3 hour hike.

icy

Really fun hike! I definitely expected this to be difficult based on the rating and reviews, but it wasn’t at all. I would honestly rate this on the lower scale of moderate. Not for those who are afraid of heights or ledges. The beginning is a bit rocky and then you’ll hop on the beehive trail where you actually climb up the rocky face, with some iron bars for assistance. I came equipped with micro spikes as there was a bit of ice and snow, which worked out well. I wouldn’t have attempted this without them. All in all this took me 1.5 hours, it would have probably taken less in any other season (or without any ice/snow). Nobody else was on the trail and it was totally worth it! Absolutely beautiful views and a very interesting hike.

Easily the coolest trail I’ve ever been on. Heavily trafficked but totally worth it.

Awesome!! I was a little intimidated to try this trail after reading some of the reviews, but it was not nearly as bad as described. Angel’s Landing in Zion is much scarier in comparison. That being said, it is definitely not an easy trail, and it gets scary at times. The trail demands respect and caution. The beehive is really an enjoyable hike. I would definitely do this one again if I am back in Acadia. Bonus: I did this one last weekend and the park was near empty. I saw a couple on the trail and that was it!! It was sunny and cold but no ice or snow on the trail. I would rather brave the cold then do this with a crowd. Off-season has definite perks!!

If you are looking for a quick adrenaline rush, this is it. Beautiful views. I’ve done many trails but nothing like this. I will know be looking for more trails like this. When you are on the beach you can see people like ants climbing up the rocks. This trail is like free style rock climbing with steel rungs to grab onto and a small steel bridge you cross. Highly recommend, you will not regret. Went with a friend that is scared of heights, and he definitely overcame that fear this day!

Great trail but not for the faint of heart....but the view is amazing!

This is a great tail but I would not recommend doing it as shown. we were told that the precipice trail is not safe to descend so we turned around at the top of Champlain mountain. I would also not recommend going down the ladders portion of the Beehive trail. The trail is intended to be one way. It was fairly empty in November but when it's busier it would be a real challenge to go down with all the uphill hikers (not to mention really hard). Gorgeous views the entire time. It's challenging but reasonable. I highly recommend this.

I personally love this hike! It was fun, not too long, and a fun challenge. It is steep and narrow in places, so be aware. The views at the top are stellar!

The trail itself is pretty cool, a lot of climbing up steel rungs. The day I went was incredibly busy, so climbing up Beehive felt like waiting in line for a theme park ride. I suggest going off season or during the week to try to avoid the crowds.

Loved this trail! It was so much fun and a little scary at some points but nothing you can’t handle. This was me and my fiancé’s first ever hike and we were completely fine. It definitely gets a little precarious with scrambling and iron rungs at some points but worth it when you get to the top!!

If you want the same views but are afraid of heights, do Gorham Mountain!

Don't get intimidated when you look up the mountain and see the people (ants) clamouring up the side. My 66 year old dad and I were able to complete the trail with ease. After summiting, you can finish the trip off at Sand Beach on the other side of the parking lot. Mountains and beach are within walking distance of each other in Acadia!

Really fun trail, not as bad as other reviews have mentioned. Certainly not a hike you do if you're afraid of steep drop offs. I started early and parked in the Sand Beach lot and didn't pass or see another hiker on the trail at all. The key to this one is to start early in the day to avoid the crowds.

This trail was such a blast and views are incredible. Quick hike up and not nearly as "scary" or difficult as previous reviews. Trail is very well marked with blue paint. Iron rungs are tons of fun. I am 5'3 and had no issue. Made it up in 30ish minutes on a busy day. would 100% recommend this hike to anyone visiting Acadia.

This is my new favorite trail in Acadia! It was absolutely stunning climbing up and had beautiful views the whole way! I would highly recommend wearing proper hiking boots.

Beehive was one of the coolest trails I have ever done. I’m scared of heights and this was not scary. Unmatched views. Highly recommend! We started up at 8:30am on Columbus Day and missed the big crowds.

Be prepared for ledges, rungs and ladders. Climb was a little hairy but the view was spectacular! I wouldn't recommend unless you are in good physical shape without any fear of heights

Super steep trail to the top via Beehive, do not attempt if heights make you freeze up because there’s definitely no way to go down this one, do the loop. Steel handles in most of the rocks to help along the way. It would’ve been beautiful but the fog was so thick most of the time.