The Beehive Loop Trail

The Beehive Loop Trail is a 1.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Bar Harbor, Maine that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November.

A steep climb to the top of this small mountain with wonderful views out over the Atlantic and surrounding Acadia hills The Beehive Trail is a very popular moderate to difficult out and back or loop trail using iron rungs on ledges of exposed cliffs, and is very steep, offering spectacular views of Sand Beach and the surrounding area at Acadia National Park. Start just north of and across the One way loop road from the Sand Beach parking area, climbing steps and through the forest to some exposed fairly flat rocky areas and a tall cairn of rocks marking your next steps. Be sure to look for the light blue (Carolina Blue) trail markers as the trail can be quickly lost in your enthusiasm to scale the cliffs. Stay on trail as strategically placed iron rungs, bridges and hand and foot holds take the technical part out of the climb. Once at the top you can opt to go down the back side and make it a loop or go down the way you came.

There were a few parts that were fun, maybe because of the wee ones with us. All very doable, it’s was foggy and slick when we hiked it and all made it up no problems with the rungs.
Beautiful views and pictures. Found a great painted rock ‘Kilroy was here’ left by a group from PA who paint rocks and leave them as souvenirs

great hike with some cool views

Love this trail. The other reviews can be discouraging, as someone who doesn’t particularly love heights i can handle this trail no problem. You do climb right along the edge and there is pretty much nothing stopping you from falling, but the edge is pretty wide. Just takes your time and watch your footing. The iron rungs may be difficult for some more than others and there are quite a few on the way up. But the views are totally worth it!

Fun hike! Don’t let the difficulty rating scare you off. It’s a well maintained trail and the iron rungs make the ascent very manageable.

Beautiful view and just hard enough for amateurs but not too hard.

Vraiment agréable, avec le défi de monter aux parois à l'aide des barres métalliques. Un incontournable de Acadia parc.

what a hike that will work your legs and your will.

One of my favorite hikes. I would give it 5 stars but the trail is heavily trafficked in the summer. A couple of times we had to stop because of congestion. That being said I would go again, and again!!!

Hiked with my boyfriend in late June 2017. One of our favorite trails at Acadia. I'm not a huge fan of heights so my heart raced while I white knuckled the iron rungs. Awesome hike, thoroughly enjoyed the views!

This trail was awesome. Not gonna lie, about 1/2 way through, I was pretty scared and my heart was definitely beating a little faster, but I kept thinking of what the view would be like from the top, and once my husband and I made it up- it was so worth it! I’d definitely recommend doing this with another person, and not alone. I’d say I’m still a “beginner” at hiking (haven’t hiked anything crazy) and this was pretty easy/fun aside from being scared for like 3 minutes because of the height. DO IT. You’ll be so proud of yourself.

First I'll say this hike has amazing views, and as you ascend they get even better - totally worth conquering your fear of heights for.

Second, I'll touch on the difficulty...this is not what I'd call a hard hike exactly. The steepness is probably what gives it that rating. You do need to be able to scramble and climb a bit, but nothing too difficult if you're in decent shape and flexible. I'm not a fan of heights really, but I've learned to calm myself and focus on climbs like this - there was only one part where there was no iron rungs to pull yourself up that was really exposed, but even then - just take your time, focus and it's not a problem. Having said all that, I've hiked Angel's Landing, so these heights were not quite as scary. If you're a little weary, I'd make sure you do it with a friend to assist you if needed.

Lastly, this hike is FUN! If you like climbing and a little scrambling, this is much more fun that a normal hike.

Definitely recommend for anyone in moderate shape!

Amazing view for not a lot of effort. I was a bit scared in a few spots with not much foot room to stand on and lots of people coming the opposite direction. Definitely a great hike.

Fun trail with fantastic views. As other reviews mention, this trail has narrow pathways and steep climbs. If you are not in good shape, have problems with flexibility, or are afraid of heights, you need to pass on this. I witnessed an older couple halfway up the climb and they could not go back and could not go forward. Not good.

I recommend starting with the climb first, as opposed to walking around the other side of the loop. Consider wearing shorts or hiking pants as some of the climb requires lifting your leg high for footholds. People with shorter legs may have some troubles reaching these.

Great hike.

This is probably the scariest of the three iron rung hikes that I've done, it's more "open" compared to any of the other ones though it's a lot shorter as well. The entire climb up you're pretty much overlooking parts of the island and the nearby sand beach which is quite beautiful. The summit isn't really all that, I'd say the climb up and the views while you're climbing is the best part. The walk down is fairly easy and not challenging at all, make sure to stop by "the bowl" for a nice lake view.

A difficult trail with some challenging vertical climbs but absolutely phenomenal views. Although it is short it is quite a workout. We combined with the Bowl Loop trail and enjoyed the two together for a quick hike before lunch. Would highly recommend but only if you feel fit and *flexible* enough to scale some large rocks. Real hiking boots were a necessity, would not climb otherwise.

Great hike to have on your bucket list! More like some climbing! The views are stellar and you'll feel accomplished afterwards. The hike down the other side is pretty also. I wouldn't bring little kids, and expect to use those muscles!

Great hike with beautiful views! I was a little apprehensive at first due to some other reviews I read, but I am glad I did it. There are some areas of climbing up metal rungs, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Enjoy!

Very short trail yet amazing view. Compare to Precipice, this is easier. Took us almost 3hrs to go up and down (we went down same way), stopped a lot for the views though.

Views are incredible! It's a quite quick to get to the top. It's steep on the way up(not in a tiring way but if you get nervous with heights) but as you continue the rest of the trail it will be much easier. I was nervous climbing up, but it's definitely worth it!