The Beehive Loop Trail

The Beehive Loop Trail is a 1.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Bar Harbor, Maine that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November.

A steep climb to the top of this small mountain with wonderful views out over the Atlantic and surrounding Acadia hills The Beehive Trail is a very popular moderate to difficult out and back or loop trail using iron rungs on ledges of exposed cliffs, and is very steep, offering spectacular views of Sand Beach and the surrounding area at Acadia National Park. Start just north of and across the One way loop road from the Sand Beach parking area, climbing steps and through the forest to some exposed fairly flat rocky areas and a tall cairn of rocks marking your next steps. Be sure to look for the light blue (Carolina Blue) trail markers as the trail can be quickly lost in your enthusiasm to scale the cliffs. Stay on trail as strategically placed iron rungs, bridges and hand and foot holds take the technical part out of the climb. Once at the top you can opt to go down the back side and make it a loop or go down the way you came.

Hiked with my boyfriend in late June 2017. One of our favorite trails at Acadia. I'm not a huge fan of heights so my heart raced while I white knuckled the iron rungs. Awesome hike, thoroughly enjoyed the views!

This trail was awesome. Not gonna lie, about 1/2 way through, I was pretty scared and my heart was definitely beating a little faster, but I kept thinking of what the view would be like from the top, and once my husband and I made it up- it was so worth it! I’d definitely recommend doing this with another person, and not alone. I’d say I’m still a “beginner” at hiking (haven’t hiked anything crazy) and this was pretty easy/fun aside from being scared for like 3 minutes because of the height. DO IT. You’ll be so proud of yourself.

First I'll say this hike has amazing views, and as you ascend they get even better - totally worth conquering your fear of heights for.

Second, I'll touch on the difficulty...this is not what I'd call a hard hike exactly. The steepness is probably what gives it that rating. You do need to be able to scramble and climb a bit, but nothing too difficult if you're in decent shape and flexible. I'm not a fan of heights really, but I've learned to calm myself and focus on climbs like this - there was only one part where there was no iron rungs to pull yourself up that was really exposed, but even then - just take your time, focus and it's not a problem. Having said all that, I've hiked Angel's Landing, so these heights were not quite as scary. If you're a little weary, I'd make sure you do it with a friend to assist you if needed.

Lastly, this hike is FUN! If you like climbing and a little scrambling, this is much more fun that a normal hike.

Definitely recommend for anyone in moderate shape!

Amazing view for not a lot of effort. I was a bit scared in a few spots with not much foot room to stand on and lots of people coming the opposite direction. Definitely a great hike.

Fun trail with fantastic views. As other reviews mention, this trail has narrow pathways and steep climbs. If you are not in good shape, have problems with flexibility, or are afraid of heights, you need to pass on this. I witnessed an older couple halfway up the climb and they could not go back and could not go forward. Not good.

I recommend starting with the climb first, as opposed to walking around the other side of the loop. Consider wearing shorts or hiking pants as some of the climb requires lifting your leg high for footholds. People with shorter legs may have some troubles reaching these.

Great hike.

This is probably the scariest of the three iron rung hikes that I've done, it's more "open" compared to any of the other ones though it's a lot shorter as well. The entire climb up you're pretty much overlooking parts of the island and the nearby sand beach which is quite beautiful. The summit isn't really all that, I'd say the climb up and the views while you're climbing is the best part. The walk down is fairly easy and not challenging at all, make sure to stop by "the bowl" for a nice lake view.

A difficult trail with some challenging vertical climbs but absolutely phenomenal views. Although it is short it is quite a workout. We combined with the Bowl Loop trail and enjoyed the two together for a quick hike before lunch. Would highly recommend but only if you feel fit and *flexible* enough to scale some large rocks. Real hiking boots were a necessity, would not climb otherwise.

Great hike to have on your bucket list! More like some climbing! The views are stellar and you'll feel accomplished afterwards. The hike down the other side is pretty also. I wouldn't bring little kids, and expect to use those muscles!

Great hike with beautiful views! I was a little apprehensive at first due to some other reviews I read, but I am glad I did it. There are some areas of climbing up metal rungs, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Enjoy!