Table Rock Trail

Table Rock Trail is a 1.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Newry, Maine that features a cave and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and rock climbing and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.8 miles Elevation Gain: 869 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

cave

closed

We did this as a family of 6 today, my husband and I, our two kids (6 and 4 yr olds), and my in-laws. My kids are very active but we’re able to complete the entire hike with only minor assistance! It was awesome. The summit offered a clear amazing view.

A well marked trail with a good scramble up. Would be nice views if clear. Nice fall foliage, but was misty today.

Great sunrise hike!

This was our second time hiking here first time we stuck to the white trail. this time we decided to challenge ourselves and went up the orange and down the white. great hike.

Great trail. Well maintained and well marked (yes well marked). I see that many people have had confusion over the "blue to white" trail markings. Do your homework before hiking. The trail is concurrent with the AT and diverges toward the 1/2 way point. Love this trail !!!!

Not sure how this trail is rated hard compared to a trail like Mt Crawford that is rated moderate. I did this trail with my 7 & 13 year old and was easy in my opinion. Very nice hike for families - and has a great view!!

Trail was well marked and clean. I strongly suggested for up the red trail to come down the blue trail.

did this hike with a friend and our 5 kids (ages 8, 8, 8, 7, 5). Decent scrambling on the way up (orange trail), blue (which turned to white) trail on the way down. strong kids (used to physical activity) did fine, plan to make this an annual hike on the moms and kids weekend in ME! I loved the up part the best, a great scramble, and about 2 mi round trip, making it do-able with the young-ins:-)

took this hike solo today, though there was plenty of other people on the trail too so i deffinitly was not lonely. lol took orange up and blue down. the orange trail involves a lot of rock stairs and climbing over boulders, very fun trail though. found the blue trail to be kinda boring but it was a nice relaxing way to come back down. the view from the top is absolutely beautiful! totally worth the hike!

Harder than I remembered. I split this trail into 4 sections. 1. moderate 2. easy (just after the intersection of blue trail for table rock) 3. very steep (just after leanto) 4. uhg... west to east peak Still a beautiful hike and would do it again! Bugs were horrible during the "easy" section. and after the lean to, there isnt much for water. so fill up there or bring enough to last

This was a really fun trail. Definitely underestimated the orange trail: Pretty physically challenging for a novice hiker in “ok” physical shape and would only recommend bringing kids who are well rested and are up for a physical challenge. I’d recommend the blue trail for a less challenging climb. Blue trail can be a little muddy in spots. Also, trail markings turn from blue to white (on the hike down). Trail is well marked but pay close attention as you near the end of the orange trail. You can complete this trail in a couple of hours with a couple of short breaks and a decent stop at the top.

I recently hiked this trail with my two large dogs. Blue is significantly easier than Orange. Orange was steep in areas and very rocky. There were many boulders to climb over, but trust me, it was so fun! If taking dogs, be sure to have a harness with a handle on it to help lift them up over the rocks. There were only 2 my dogs needed help with. We came down on blue, but the color changed to white halfway down making it seem like we were off course. It took us about 2 hours to get up, but that was with multiple breaks for my older dog. It only took us 45 min to get down. Great views at the top! Just knocked one star off for the fact that the color changes which led to a ton of confusion and worry!

Great trek! Family travels back to Maine every summer for a couple weeks and this is a must do every year. Amazing view up top. Would recommend going up the AT trail way and if experienced down the Table Rock trail at some places kinda steep.

This trail was a good hike but if taking your dog I would recommend having another person with you as some parts of the trail are inaccessible to dogs. We traveled with 3 larger dogs and at times had to lift them up to each other in the rocky sections. On the way down the trail starts blue and changes to white which was a little confusing and we thought we were on the wrong path.

Great views for a short hike. I would recommend going up the orange trail and down the blue. Blue is significantly easier but doesn’t have as great views and caves. At this time of year microspikes or snowshoes are a must have. Beautiful and well marked trail

Mon Sep 03 2018

Quick and fun hike with lots of parking at the trailhead. I went up the AT portion to the top, but I hear the full loop is fun if you're game for scrambling. Did the hike with a 4 year old who walked the whole way (with several breaks).

Mon Sep 03 2018

I am in no means fit. I took some breaks, picture breaks and took my time. My boyfriend and I went of Orange and came down blue. It wasn’t necessarily hard except for the steepness. Don’t wear non-ankle supporting shoes. Get actual hiking boots or supportive sneakers. I would do it again! ⛰

Mon Aug 20 2018

Rolled my ankle but still had a blast!

Mon Jul 23 2018

Went up the orange trail. Was defently a good hike. pretty steep and aloat of bolders. Great views from the top. recomend orange up and blue down

Sat Jul 21 2018

We hiked up the orange trail. It was a lot of stairs and bouldering. Great views on top. The hike down blue trail was a walk in the woods

Mon Jul 09 2018

The parking area for hiking this trail and the ones near by was beautiful, to start! Once you cross the street there’s a path with with wooden boards, the last of which is over a cute little stream that leads to two paths, orange and blue. We did the orange even though I’m wildly out of shape atm. With that said, it was worth every wheezy, sweaty, strenuous step I took!  The path was steep but very gorgeous! Those who get vertigo easily should probably avoid this one due to how steep some parts are! We lost track of the trail a couple of times but it was only a couple of minutes before we found it again and kept truckin along. There’s this cool little “cave area” that I truly convinced myself was the top in hopes I wouldn’t have to go any further at that time, but it does take a pretty sharp right to continue the path. From there thankfully it truly wasn’t much further, and again, completely worth it! After a good rest, I made my way down with wobbly legs that still carried me through with enough energy to go to screw auger falls right down the way. Overall a very challenging and demanding trail, but worth the effort for the priceless view.

Thu Jun 21 2018

This trail is definitely strenuous and VERY steep. If you start out on the AT/white blaze, and then turn right at the orange blaze where the sign says ‘extraordinary views’, you’re in for a beautiful overlook and a nearly indiscernible trail on the hike back to the lot. It is very challenging-take your time and enjoy it. Not for beginners in either direction. All this aside, I loved it! We combined it with Baldpate East, for a total of 7.4 very challenging miles. View at Baldpate is spectacular. Plenty of water along the trail if you have a filter. Need bug spray. Privy at the lean-to at Baldpate.