Swan Island Loop

Swan Island Loop is a 7.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Perkins, Maine that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

paddle sports

beach

historic site

Please note that you need to take a ferry to get onto and off of the island. Please see ferry schedule in advance. Camping space is limited and requires a reservation.

Cute place to go for a simple trip or to test new gear! The island has a few miles of easy trails, would be a great place to bring kids.

I went here for a spontaneous day of hiking, but was surprised to find that I needed to make reservations for the ferry to cross the river to the island. It was simple enough to make reservations, but I had just missed the first trip across so I had to come back. After getting to the island I found there were pleasant and easy to navigate walking trails. Definitely nothing too steep or strenuous. It’s a lovely walk in the woods. I’m eager to go back and try staying at the campground they have on the island.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

My daughter and I did and overnight on the Island after kayaking out to it. There are 10 lean-to's in a large field with a nice beach along the river. Nesting eagles, deer all over the wooded trail parts. The place is managed by Maine IF&W. PHONE # 207-547-5322. There is a ranger on duty all the time. Great get away.