Speckled Mountain Loop

Speckled Mountain Loop is a 8.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lovell, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Maine Bureau of Parks and Land: (207) 827-5936

Went in after a lot of rain and water level in Bicknell brook was high. Missed the trail to Blueberry because we were upstream a bit for an easier crossing. Also were areas where it was difficult to tell if we were on the tea or just if it was where water was running. Until you get on the ridge there are very few trail markers. Ones that were there just said trail. Other than that issue not is a fantastic hike. Views from the top of Speckled are phenominal

Typically spectacular Evans Notch hike. First hiked on September 1, 1991, with parents using Blueberry Ridge Trail from Brickett Place lot to top of Speckled Mountain. Took about 5 hours. Cleared tent space in trees with fire rings. Last hiked on July 8, 2006, and was a lot tougher going up Blueberry Ridge Trail than I remembered (aging is a bitch). Ran out of water earlier and expected springs were dry. Tented at the top. Hike down Bickford Brook Trial was easy with nice river stops.

I went up Bickford Brook trail and barely broke a sweat on it, very gradual. Blueberry Ridge on the way down, killed my knees, but seeing the views from the front was awesome and absolutely beautiful. It rained the night/day before and a lot was still wet and slippery even in the early afternoon. If you want more cardio, go up Blueberry, if you dont want to miss a view, go down it haha.

This mountain kicked my butt!!! It took us 2.5 hours to get to the top, but the views are beautiful. Remember bug spray!!

this absolutely gorgeous - the hike up is fine, speckled mountain is spectacular and blueberry ridge just gorgeous - loads of view points on slab after slab. there's no snow left.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Point to point. Had to spot a car at Brickett Place. Went up Spruce Hill to Speckled Mountain. Went across Blueberry Ridge to meet Bickford Brook trail, then down to Brickett Place.
Beautiful views at Sp Mtn Summit, and all along Blueberry Ridge. Very friendly Canadian Jay.

Ascent on Spr Hill starts steep right out of parking lot. Might wanna do a few jumping jacks after car ride. :)
Descent: Steep, somewhat tough descent down Bl Rdg trail. Initially lots of open ledges. Then gets into long stretch of steep rock steps. No scrambling, but just tough on the knees and slow going. Bi Brk part very easy down from waterfall junction with Bl Rdg.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Climbed via Spruce Hill and Bickford Brook trails, Spruce hill climbs steadily from the start, the the Bickford Brook trail slabs the contours. before slight climbs up a couple of bumps before descending a couple hundred feet and then climbing to the summit of Speckled Mtn. Nice views from the open ledges at the top and had a lot of fun feeding the Grey Jays. Had a nice surprise on the way up when a bear crossed the trail about 20 yards away!

Thursday, August 11, 2016

fun hike..beautiful views on the blueberry maintain trail..only one really challenging section coming down blueberry but otherwise moderate with reasonable uphill climbing

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Parts were a little too rugged for my taste, but still enjoyable. Unfortunately the day I hiked, storms came in so I did not reach the summit, not wanting to risk lightning.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

A great hike if you are looking for something that doesn't take all day. With amazing panoramic views!

Monday, April 25, 2016

Took the Speckled Mt trail to the top. Great trail but no views until the summit, once there it is breath taking! As you defend down there will be the BlueBerry Mt trail to the left, take it! The trail is awesome. You hike all along the ridge and keep coming out to phenomenal 360* overlooks. It is just perfect. you will get to a section that is very steep and rocky and drops you right into Bickford slides. There's very little trail markings, you follow the Cairins. Very highly recommend this hike. Took us about 5 hrs and we move at a decent pace but nothing crazy.

Wednesday, December 02, 2015

Amzing hike. See below for pictures

Friday, August 21, 2015

Awesome hike! We hiked up the Blueberry Ridge trail, took a side trip on the Loop Trail just beyond the cutoff for the Cairn Trail, & hiked down the Bickford Brook trail. The hike took about 5 hours 15 minutes including rests along the way. We hike 8.6 miles total. Will most definitely hike it again! The views are breathtaking!

Friday, May 16, 2014

Great trail. Good amount of uphill at the beginning, but then you walk along the ridgeline for a good deal of the rest of the hike. Waterfall trail had some beautiful spots for a quick dip and a bite to eat, but the trail was really poorly marked, so we got lost and had to go back the way we came. That said, the rest of the trails are well marked with cairns, so it's only the small waterfall trail that had any issues. Snow still present in spots at the top of the mountain (mid-May), and lots of fresh moose dung.

Thursday, March 06, 2014

I helped construct the stairs and bigs here in 95, glad y'all enjoyed it , took us 2 months

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

I will elaborate to help others. My boyfriend and I did this trail in full. Started by going up Blueberry Ridge Trail (steep), did the lookout add on at the top, went over to Speckled summit and went down Bickford Brook Trail, did the Waterfall trail too. Will say that the waterfall trail is NOT well marked, but worth the views. We got lost for 10mins since the trail connect back was nowhere to be found. In total it took us 4.5-5hrs total. Has parking and bathrooms. Small parking fee so bring cash.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Great hike! Full trail not for beginners.

Monday, August 27, 2012

I hiked this in 1995 if I remember correctly. Was a nice hike. The pillars at the top are a cool feature.

Friday, March 23, 2012

I hiked Speckled Mt. in early October, beautiful day with temps in the 90's. I started off from the Evergreen Valley Inn and took the link trail to cold brook trail. The first mile was easy going on a tote road, not steep at all. Once on the Cold Brook trail the path climbed for about a mile and then broke out onto big open ledges with great views of Kezar lake and points south. From this point on to the summit the hiking is mostly on open ledge with occasional trips thru the trees. All the open hiking the last mile makes this my preferred route for speckled. Met lots (14) of folks at the summit but only one on the ascent. The Canada jays were happy to eat right out of my hand when I had lunch at the top.