South Turner Mountain Via Sandy Stream Pond Trail

South Turner Mountain Via Sandy Stream Pond Trail is a 3.5 mile out and back trail located near Millinocket, Maine that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and trail running.

Distance: 3.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,597 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The climb is worth the view. My 11 year old did this hike with us and we are not the best hikers but we made it to the summit and the view is amazing!

4.5 hike today. Doable but difficult. We were rewarded with AMAZING views from the top. The first third of the trail was root and rock filled, so I had to watch my step. The next 2/3's went UP, and at the tippy top went UP over a rock scramble to the summit. Very enjoyable. Would do again. OH - did I mention that all the blueberry bushes were sharing their bounty. Refreshing to pause and pick on the way up and a great reason to go slower heading down!

I cannot wait to go back, especially during the fall. There are so beautiful areas to see, paths to wonder, and fellow hikers to share experiences. Every time I go to Baxter, I ask the guides on duty which is the best trail for the day, and they have never disappointed me.

A great day hike in Baxter State Park with great views and beautiful wildlife.

Thu Oct 11 2018

Well worth the effort to accomplish that hike. Lots of boulder climbing to the top. It was foggy but as the sun moved in and out of the clouds after we reached the top, we could make out views of Katadhin in the distance. It was pretty magical.

Wed Sep 05 2018

If you want a tough hike with a great view at the end, but you don't have time for Katahdin (and you'd like to SEE Katahdin at its fullest), South Turner is the Baxter Trail for you! Starting from the Roaring Brook parking lot, I was at the summit in 1.5 hours, with short stops at each of the three Sandy Stream Pond overlooks. However, I was treating the ST Trail itself like a workout, with few breaks. And wow, it did not disappoint! Once you get on the ST trail itself, you're basically ascending a 1.3 mile-long rock/boulder staircase--little in the way of switchback, just straight up the mountain. The final .2-mile jaunt above the treeline is less strenuous than the first part, but more strategic, as it's more of a sustained, true scramble. The views up top are spectacular. I went the morning after Labor Day, and the Roaring Brook lot was full of hikers, but once I left the lot, I had the whole trail to myself, out and back. My sense is that people who come to Baxter either want the reward of climbing Katahdin if they're going to climb a mountain (and they have the time), or they want the reward of wildlife and do lighter hikes on the lower trails, around the ponds, streams, and such. Do you want solitude in this vast, beautiful space, an unparalleled vista, and a workout--all in a morning? South Turner!

Mon Aug 27 2018

I got a late start on this trail, so I rushed it a bit on the way to the peak. I had to stop a few times due to the steep incline. Suggested time, if I remember correctly, is between 4 and 5 hours. This is generous. The view from the top was spectacular, even though it was a foggy morning. I recommend packing an extra layer for when you do reach the top. It got significantly colder and windy. I highly recommend this hike for someone who isn't sure they can complete the estimated 10 hour hike of Mt. Katahdin.

Fri Jun 08 2018

Tough hike! Took our 6 year old son and was able to do it with lots of breaks! Definitely worth it though! We’ve done bunches of hikes and this is probably our favorite!

Thu Oct 27 2016

Tough when there's 6" of snow above the tree line. Gotta have the right gear to stay warm and not slip.

Sat Sep 17 2016

Sitting on peak now and it's amazing!!!

Mon Jul 25 2016

Lots of big rocks to navigate through with kids

Mon May 30 2016

Amazing trail! My first hike in the Katahdin Region and it opened my eyes to the wildlife, beauty and grandeur of this terrain.

Tue Jun 09 2015

Great hike. Well worth the effort. We made it to the peak and got to watch a local artist painting a pic of Katahdin. The views were amazing.

Tue Jul 29 2014

Great hike with awesome views at summit! Not for beginners!

Sun Jul 06 2014

This is a challenging hike, but it is easier and less popular than some of the other hikes in Baxter State Park. The only other hikers that we saw on the trail were park rangers. The view of Mt. Katahdin from the peak of South Turner is excellent, and it makes the rugged trek worthwhile. This is a difficult hike though, so make sure you're ready for it.

recorded Recording - Oct 08, 03:29 PM