South Bubble Mountain and Jordan Pond Loop

South Bubble Mountain and Jordan Pond Loop is a 1.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Mount Desert, Maine that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and nature trips and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.4 miles Elevation Gain: 492 feet Route Type: Loop

A short loop hike to the top of Bubble Mountain and the teetering boulder then return via Jordan Pond. A fun loop hike up to the top of a rocky mountain called South Bubble which has a very cool large glacial erratic left over from the last ice age. It is perched on the very edge of the steep cliff face and looks like it could be pushed off. The trail then descends to the north end of Jordan Pond for some great views. Unfortunately there is no swimming here. Then you'll follow a nice carriage road back to the trailhead. Please note: while it is dog friendly, there are some rock faces and sections of this trail that are fairly tricky for dogs.

I walked around Jordan Pond to South Bubble. An exhilarating climb with a stunning view at the top. I tried to hike the NW trail up Pemetic Mountain but encountered some bad ice that made the trail too dangerous to climb and turned back. All around an amazing hike. Would recommend trying to climb Pemetic and looping down the southern ridge trail to Jordan Pond in the warmer months.

Easy short hike with great views

Very nice short trail, just takes about 20 -30 minutes one way. Neither steep nor too much stones and worth the nice view. Definitely recommended. Even so it was raining the stones were not too slippery.

Fabulous views. Take a picture where you start and when you summit South Bubble!

Fun, rather short hike. Only took maybe 30 minutes to get to the top and see Bubble Rock. Summit is a nice place for a snack with good views. The path down if completing the loop taking the Bubble Divide trail is quite steep with lots of decent scrambling. Parking lot isn't very big so you may get stuck waiting for a spot.

We did this trail early morning of oct 15. Took us about 2.5 hours counterclockwise. Awesome hike with beautiful views! however, if I knew how steep the trail was coming down to the pond I never would have brought my dog. The climb down was so difficult for our 90lb German Shepard we were afraid he or my husband would fall off the cliff. By that point we were too far to turn around. Luckily we made it down safely! Definitely worth doing this hike but if you are bringing a large dog that cannot be carried be cautious!

Great way to add some adventure to the Jordan pond loop! Very fun, moderately challenging scramble on the way up with a nice easy trip on the way back down. Unfortunately clouds covered up the view but it was still fun.

Beautiful foliage!

Made a great loop including the bubble rock!

Fun seeing that huge rock sitting precariously on the ledge like that.

Hiked with 55lb Viszla. Crevice and rungs at top too much for pup so backtracked to Bubble Divide trail further north on pond. Much better for doggies.

We started at the south parking lot and went clockwise up the rocky section from Jordan Pond. The section from Jordan pond to the top of South Bubbles can be strenuous with lots of rock scrambles and a few metal ladders. The view from South Bubbles across Jordan Pond to the Ocean was one of the best in Acadia.. Make sure you see the hanging South Bubble Rock and add the 0.6 mile out and back to the top of North Bubble. We actually saw a Peregrine on that section. In all the whole trail with South and North Bubble was less than 2-miles

Fairly steep and rocky path up off Jordan pond. Enjoyable climb but not for everyone. Got to the point where you climb up through a narrow opening and decided to turn around. In my opinion, this is well beyond moderate difficulty and not appropriate for children or casual hikers. I did climb past the narrow opening but decided the risk was too high for the rest of my party so we turned around.

Fun, short moderate hike. While it is dog friendly there are some rock faces towards the top that are fairly tricky for our 4-legged friends.

Good for kids, some big steps. Dog friendly I’d say. Epic rock.

A little steep, but not as much as North Bubble. We had fun posing for pictures with the legendary Bubble Rock (be prepared to possibly wait in line for an op!)

This was a quick fun trail with beautiful views almost all the way up! I went clockwise around the loop and would not recommend descending South Bubble from the other direction unless you’re comfortable with a few blind spots you’ll have to either drop from or feel your way down...but I’m also 5’3”. Super fun going up, though, and North Bubble was easy by comparison!

Usually I drive by Bubble Rock, because it is usually packed. However, since I went after 6 pm, there were maybe five groups of people and plenty parking spaces. The views at the summit are beautiful, especially either looking down on Jordan Pond or looking towards the ocean. On the way back, there's a connecting trail heading towards Jordan Pond, which is less than a half mile. I should have gone around the whole pond again, but I spent too much time watching the loon in the dusk and the beaver munching away. You will definitely enjoy these trails.

If you park in the little lot below the South Bubble, and hike to where the trails split to go to the summit of the North or South Bubble, neither hike is difficult. You just have to be on the lookout for the next trail marker so you don’t wander off course.

My recording is faulty as my phone battery died once we sumitted South Bubble! We did a reverse loop and took a left at Bubbles Divide and did the opposite side of the Pond. Jordan pons is lovely and great for families. The scramble up to South Bubble was a bruiser. Super fun and super exposed. If you are afraid of heights push through like I did! There are good finger grips and crevices to get you through but it is hard! A family brought a large black lab and he could get to the top. Def not a climb for the little kids.l and def would not recommend going back down the way you came- much harder. Coming down the back side of South bubble is better- still wicked rocky but much more feasible. Falling Rock is great- tons of ppl around but don’t forget to take a photo with the Summit market:) Get to a parking lot EARLY or you will walk s half mile from a side spot like we DID! HREAT HIKE AMAZING VIEWS!