South Bubble Mountain and Jordan Pond Loop

South Bubble Mountain and Jordan Pond Loop is a 1.3 mile loop trail located near Mt Desert, Maine that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A short loop hike to the top of Bubble Mountain and the teetering boulder then return via Jordan Pond. A fun loop hike up to the top of a rocky mountain called South Bubble which has a very cool large glacial erratic left over from the last ice age. It is perched on the very edge of the steep cliff face and looks like it could be pushed off. The trail then descends to the north end of Jordan Pond for some great views. Unfortunately there is no swimming here. Then you'll follow a nice carriage road back to the trailhead.

8 minutes ago

Views! A bit crowded. Definitely plenty of kids, and we brought our dogs who navigated just fine.

Beautiful views! The one very steep part on the side facing Jordan Pond was scary for me, someone scared of heights. Tricky to get up through the crevice on the ledge- but doable if you have experience with rock scrambles/climbing and probably easier for taller people (prob 5’6 and over).

Pretty good trail with some decent views. Relatively crowded for my taste as a bunch of folks come from the loop or the parking lot. The south side bubble is nice, but the vistas are pretty blocked with trees. The north side is much better and you get an incredible view of all of Jordan Pond.

We hiked up after doing North Bubble. Beautiful summit area and cool to see the “bubble” rock. We wandered around but couldn’t find our way over to the more difficult section of the trail to complete the loop, and ended up going back the way we came, so I definitely recommend that if you are looking for a less strenuous hike. Amazing views of the interior of the park from the top. Our dog did great on the hike too! Parking was limited mid-afternoon when we arrived so be prepared for that.

The side facing Jordan pond is very steep with a lot of boulders and rocks. Very fun but much more challenging than the other side which was a much more gradual incline.

We loved this trail. My mother had a difficult time in the way down going towards Jordan Pond. We should have went up that way, and taken the easier Bubble trail down. Awesome hike!

My first Acadia hike and it was glorious! Mostly an easy hike , but as many people have said, it gets a bit tricky at the steep part. We went down that way, but coming up looks more difficult. Beautiful views of Jordan Pond. The loop around the pond itself is a nice easy walk with lots to look at.

We used this trail to get us up to the South Bubble and then continued to summit Pemetic and Cadillac. Amazing scenery of Jordan Pond from the start and at the Bubbles. Very fun!

Easy hike with great views. A must-do while at Acadia

A quick, easy hike up one of the bubbles suitable for any age hiker visiting Acadia. Well worth it for the amazing view from the top!

Nice hike. Gets steep in the beginning otherwise a pleasant walk with amazing views of Jordan and Eagle ponds.

Great views

Walked up the Divide trail from the parking area to the top of South Bubble, then down the Bubbles Trail to Jordan pond. The descent from the Bubble is a little intimidating, but not overly difficult, and the views are well worth it (I can definitely see that having shorter legs might make it more difficult though).

A fairly challenging climb, I thought it was more difficult than The Beehive. Lots of short vertical climbs between horizontal ledges. Once you get to the top, the view is awesome, and there are a couple ledges you can have your picture taken sitting on that makes it look like you're dangling your legs over the edge.

I started at Jordan pond and ascended up south bubble to north bubble to Conor’s nubble and then started back via eagle lake trail and Jordan pond carry back to Jordan pond for a loop. Going up south bubble is pretty much straight up and for someone not use to hiking can be pretty challenging but after that summit the others are fairly easy. Great views of Jordan pond and eagle lake. I thought eagle lake trail would be more like Jordan pond trail but I was wrong. Definitely more rugged. But overall great hike

Would recommend adding North Bubble to the plan and going in that direction. Great trail and views. Steep descent down south Bubble trail overlooking Jordan Pond.

Terrific vertical gain for a real butt burner. Amazing views at summit with the token tourist attraction of a balancing rock. Rock, nbd... views, spectacular

My mother and I hiked from Jordan Pond House around the west side of the lake, up the Bubbles Divide trail to the summit of South Bubble, and then back down the north face of the mountain to the pond. Some people at the top told us we came up "the hard way" but we enjoyed the challenge. If you don't mind a bit of a climb & you want to explore all of Jordan Pond, I'd suggest the long route. It's worth it!

Just as cool as it gets! Hike was moderately light, depending on how fit a person is. Seeing that giant rock at the top was so worth it!

My DH and I hiked this combo celebrating our seven year anniversary (June 26, 2017). It was our first time to Acadia National Park so it was nice to not have missed this! South Bubble Pond served to be a bit steep but not too difficult if you've ever climbed a mountain. It was nice to have "built in stairs". The hike was peaceful, filled with wildflowers, and quiet. As for Jordan Pond Loop, It was nice to get different angles of the water/surrounding mountains and experience two different trails, so to speak. One side is very flat and plain while the other is rocky and narrow, but not too difficult by any means. Loved seeing the locals working to keep the trails clean! :-)

Can be easy or challenging. Went left from Bubbles lot, up the South face, left at the divide down to Jordan Pond and back up to lot. The divide trail to the left was steep, dusty, tough. But definitely go UP the south face. Suggestions here to park at Jordan Pond are smart. Loved the views and the south face up was fun!

If you begin from the bottom of South Bubble from the Jordan Pond Trail, it's an elevated rock scramble almost to the top. I'm not sure if the South Bubble ascent/descent is kid friendly as a few hikers with small children did turn around on my way up prior to getting to the wedge. The views at the top though are incredible and you can see down to the Cranberry Islands.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Easy but cool! Bubble rock is iconic and it was fun to check off of my essentials of Acadia list.

Monday, July 10, 2017

We took the short route and it was very easy and pleasant. We also found blueberries along the way for an extra sweet surprise.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

One of my favorite hikes so far in Acadia!. We went early in the morning and there was a Misty fog that was rolling in. it was very peaceful. The trail does have some steep rock sections you need to either climb or go down. If you would like to climb that section, take a left to Jordan pond from the trailhead then from Jordan pond go up the hill. The bubble rock itself is pretty cool.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Definitely come up the south side of South Bubble from Jordan Pond. We went up the north side and came down the south side and it's a lot more challenging to come down that side, especially the wedge. Beautiful views from the top!

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Thursday, June 22, 2017

fun trail with a great view. would recommend parking at jordan pond and hiking up from there rather than the bubble parking lot. the trail from jordan pond had some climbing and scrambling and was a lot of fun but would be more difficult/ less fun going down that direction. well worth doing!

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Great trail. I'd recommend from the parking lot, up to bubble rock, then take the south face down to Jordan Pond. Fun scrambling.