Sawyer Mountain Trail

Sawyer Mountain Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Limington, Maine that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Sawyer Mountain Highlands are located about 30 miles west of Portland, Maine. With some peaks over 1,000 feet, these are the highest elevations in Maine south of the Saco River and comprise a large block of undeveloped land. The Francis Small Heritage Trust, Inc. preserves about 1,400 acres. The property offers good views from the summit of Sawyer Mountain and gives access to other summits, small gorges, brooks, cascades, ponds, and wetlands. As historical points of interest it includes Estes Cemetery and the old Sawyer and Ebenezer Walker homesteads of which only the foundations remain. Moose, deer, beaver, mink, and raccoon frequent the area. The land is open for hiking, hunting, fishing, snowmobiling on existing trails, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and horseback riding. Both on-trail and off-trail exploration of the area is encouraged. Whenever traveling off-trail (and even on-trail), be sure to bring a compass and a good map and know how to use them. Trail maps are usually available at both the western trailhead in Limerick and the eastern access in Limington. In addition to these official trailheads, visitors may also park along Shaving Hill Road in order to access the property from the south.

Enjoyable hike but not much variety to it or views. Did find a bunch of different kinds of mushroom on the path and saw the occasional chipmunk and toads.

A solid hike

trail is marked well. Great wildlife.

Today’s hike in the Sawyer Mountain Highlands was wonderful! We went to the trailhead at Limington (117), got a map, and decided to go up the Sawyer Mountain Road. We saw the sign for the Sherwood Libby Trail, but most reviews we read were for the former, so we opted for that. The trail is so interesting! There are cabins and homes right on the road, as well as numerous cemeteries and side trails. We stayed on the main trail and with a few stops for breathing and water, made it to the top with no problems. The bugs (after spraying ourselves with bug spray) were minimal, although we had to reapply later in the hike. We descended via the Sherwood Libby Trail, which proved to be a beautiful, winding meander through the woods, up and down several “hills”. There are some steep areas, but nothing too taxing. Amazing rock walls for property boundaries made us appreciate the hard work the early settlers must have endured. The whole trip took us just under 3 ½ hours (4.9 miles). Lots of stops for pictures and trail mix! Saw two owls and the usual number of squirrels. Everything was well-marked and easy to follow. We understand the Sherwood Libby Trail is new…great job! We will definitely go back.

More than I thought. Wish I would have taken another way down. Will do the next time to the Limerick lookout

Very nice hike. Limited views. Good for warming up early in the year.

Nice trail for a walk in the woods, not much for views.

Tried to go last week and the trail road was like hiking up a stream. It had rained the two days beforehand, but was frustrating and the trail was not super well marked. may try again when it's been dry for longer.

Good hike, can be challenging. Not the best views but overall really nice.!

If you’re looking for an arm workout to accompany your hike then this trail is for you... because you’ll be swatting away some relentless flies for your entire journey! I’m pretty sure I’m not technically a vegetarian anymore because I swallowed at least 4 flies, gross.

I took the Sawyer Mountain Trail from Limington which was pretty decent! Make sure to wear sturdy hiking boots because the majority of the trail is very rocky, seemingly a former river bed. There were some pretty views from the summit but overall it was underwhelming. On the way down I was trying to go a little faster to seek refuge from the swarm of flies and unfortunately fell really hard on a slippery rock, so be sure to take your time and pack your insect repellent!

I live near here and hike Sawyer Mountain twice a year. Very serene with interesting rock formations. A great forest hike that is steep in some places. Get the map from the trust and look for the cascading waterfall. It's beautiful and rarely visited, though it does require some scrambling.

nice trail. Much of it is on the old Sawyer Hill Rd. We came back down on the Sherwood-Libby trail. The S-L trail is not shown here. It looked and felt like it was a new trail in the process of being built. Coming down that way extended the hike to 5.4 miles.

Loved the Sherwood Libby trail!

Up the Jeep Trail down the new Sherwood Libby Trail.Total round trip 21/2 hrs 15 minutes at the top. What a different mountain we have now, a quick jeep trail up and a very nice woods experience down. This trail will become very popular as soon as the word gets out. I plan to do this trail couple more times this year.
Highest praise for the new trail...thanks very enjoyable

Wouldn’t call it easy. Lots of loose rocks and steady climbs though I am admittedly not in top form! Beautiful forests though and a nice partial view at the summit.

Wear hiking boots! This mountain appears to be made up of mostly small- to medium-sized stones and pebbles. Many of them are loose, which makes for difficult footing. Much of the path is like a rocky riverbed without any water. The incline is steady and it's a good workout, but the views at the summit and scenic lookout are fairly limited since the forest is growing up and obscuring it. A few small old cemeteries to see, one disgruntled nearby landowner, and an old fieldstone foundation. Smaller nature trail nearby is a winding 0.7 mile loop that is well-marked but there isn't much to see.

Did this with our 6 year old, nice little hike, not a bad view at the top

Loved the side paths in the heart of the woods. This was a great hike and will definitely be doing it again!

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Interesting trail! We started at the trailhead in Limington off of 117. We saw a sign warning hikers of a deer tick habitat, but never saw any (not complaining!). We did have an ongoing battle with flies, though. We passed a couple of abandoned-looking houses and found a couple of snarky trail signs alluding to an ongoing issue between landowners and a trust. Found four cemeteries from the 1800s. Summit is an anti climatic peak through some trees but the summit area is nice. Whole trail was clean. Would hike again and try a different path. Elevation is closer to 1200 feet and I'd rate the trek as moderate. Consider wearing at least mid rise hiking boots; lots of tumbling rock paths.

Friday, June 16, 2017

Went up on the Limington side of the trail with my black lab Layla, the trail is an old road with sections of water runoff and plenty of loose rocks. The flies were thick in sections bring your hat and bug spray this time of year. There are no views along the trail on the way up. The view from the top is average at best, the openings are growing up. Climbing to the top was 55 minutes and down 50 minutes. CAUTION, when we got home, we did a tick check Layla had 4 ticks and I had 2 ticks. I will climb this trail again in the Fall.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Decent hike thats close to my house. interesting cemetaries along the walk. The town overlook was ok. The summit was uneventful with just a small opening to see the view. might be better in a season with less foliage.

Saturday, May 20, 2017

I found this a challenging hike for a beginner. I've done it twice, once from the limerick side and the from the limington side. I will definitely do this again.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Our first "official" hike. Beautiful day even though we had to battle the bugs on occasion.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

I didn't see any of the cemeteries or other landmarks as in the photos, however I went up from the Limerick side. It was a pleasant hike. Also, the activities list a river but I didn't come to a river...

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Starting from route 117, the trail is mild most of the way to the lookout point. After the lookout, it gets steeper heading toward the summit. Great hike and much to look at on the way up- an old cabin (it's boarded up), multiple cemeteries, and an old hunting lodge. Beautiful area! I would definitely hike it again :)

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Nice little hike on mostly abandoned road. Some steeps- not bad for this far south in Maine.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Not as easy as it seems if you come from the Limington side but a nice hike.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Okay hike. Many better choices for short hikes with better views.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

I hiked the 1.8mi trail from Limington with my 3 kids. 9 and 6yo boys and my 1.5yo daughter. The first .8 mile was a steady incline on even terrain. That had me inspired to finish the final mile, shortly after the 1mi to summit sign the terrain changed to uneven rocks and boulders at a steep incline. My kids and I hike a lot, I'd consider us "experienced" hikers and this was a challenge. Start to finish it took us about 4.5 hours. The first half of it my toddler daughter was on her own two feet so that accounts for time. The view at the top is amazing but limited. The air is clean and light and we put in so much hard work that we were cheering for ourselves from the top! It's an excellent hike but you need good shoes and lots of water! Hope you like our pics!

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Fun hike not too strenuous, some views.