Sargent East Cliffs Trail

Sargent East Cliffs Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Desert, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from July until December.

Took the bubble cut through which was very rocky and difficult leading down to Jordan’s Pond. We did this portion (parking lot to pond) of the hike with 4 kids under 6 and most were okay navigating on their own or holding a hand... although it took us awhile. The Pond was gorgeous and well worth the hike. The kids continued on the east very flat easy portion of the pond with the grandparents to the Jordan House as we took the deer creek path to get onto Sargent Mountain just past the bridge. Once on Sargent Mountain trail it was very steep and large step ups onto rocks. Our quads were burning! I was very glad we did not have the children (also would take us forever). The summit was reached in 35 min (we were going VERY fast as not to take advantage of babysitter) there are many great views of the pond, Cadillac mt and surroundings along the hike. We saw maybe 3 families on this portion of the hike on the most busy week of the summer. Once at the top the view isn’t 360 unless you walk around the very large top area.. However, there seemed to be many others on the summit hanging out. We came down the same way and it was very difficult on our toes. Would recommend hiking boots (sister got blisters from Chaco’s and she’s an avid hiker). The hot tub was much needed after this hike!!! But one of our favs so far

My friends and I spent 5 straight days hiking as much of Acadia as possible and this was by far our favorite trail. It's very challenging and at sometimes feels quite dangerous. You have to be pretty deep into a hike to make it to this trail but it's way worth it. We did it going down which was a total thrill. I wish I could have taken better pictures but we didn't feel comfortable taking out any cameras. Picture a crazy winding rock staircase straight down (or up).

Monday, July 31, 2017

Very difficult coming down from Sargent Mountain summit. Giant stone steps. Knees and feet were aching.