Saddleback Mountain and The Horn via Appalachian Trail

Saddleback Mountain and The Horn via Appalachian Trail is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Rangeley, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

skiing

From Route 4, 38 miles north of the town of Farmington, ME look for signs for the ski resort. Make a right on Dallas Hill Road just before you get to the town of Rangeley.

Absolutely an incredible mountain range for snowshoeing! Love this spot after a classic Maine blizzard. The Saddleback ski resort may be abandoned but there's someone grooming part of the trails for past few years. 360-degree views from summits are stunning. Autumn and summer hiking up Saddleback offer a moderate to strenuous workout. There's an old warming hut just before the summit, as the trail connects to the Appalachian Trail; sources of heat have been removed from this hut but it's still a great quick shelter to grab a bite and get out of high winds.

great climb

My dad, who is an active retiree but not a hiker, and I did this hike on a partly sunny day. I was glad we did the AT from RT 4 to get to Saddleback instead of the ski trail because I love all the trail features on the AT. I felt it was more interesting even if it was longer. We didn't make it to the horn because of time. Since my dad is not a hiker, it took us nearly 8 hours (not including time at the top to have lunch) to go the total 10.5 miles. I highly recommend this hike. The views were great!

I was in Rangeley for a week, and this hike was my first priority. I was on my own schedule all week, so I purposefully chose the best forecasted weather day and went for it. It would be my first two 4,000 ft peaks, and it surely did not disappoint! 72 degrees at the base lodge of the ski area, 60 degrees at the summit and clear skies the entire day...in Northern Maine...in May. Couldn't have gotten luckier.
The trek up is steep. Very steep. Double black diamond ski trails most of the way up, which as a non-skier, I can't imagine going down with glides attached to my feet. Take the time to stop and look back at the views as you climb...just keeps getting better. There was still some significant snow patches in shady spots throughout. The scenery doesn't end with the summit of Saddleback. There are amazing vistas and outlooks across the entire ridge from Saddleback to the Horn, and back. Atop the Horn, hurricane force winds nearly blew me over a couple times as I was paying too much attention to my camera and not at keeping my balance...it came out of nowhere and was persistent my entire time on the mountain top. I planned to have lunch and a beer, but the wind was too much, so I came back down the ridge before being able to dig in and not have anything blow away. I went by myself, saw a women trail running with her dog about 15 minutes into my climb, then didn't see another human until a man walking his dog on the bunny-hills 10 minutes before I got back to my car. There were moments I definitely feel I was the only person in a 2 mile radius. I started at 10:49am, finished at 5:23pm...LOTS of pausing for pictures, a full sit-down lunch, and plenty of stops at crystal clear ponds and running snowmelt to wet my bandana. I will absolutely be back again to conquer these beasts! Maybe my favorite hike I have ever taken.

great hike. love the different array of peaks you can see when out at the horn.

my favorite place

Sunday, October 16, 2016

This is quite a hike from Main Lodge to the Summit. Decent terrain but quite a steady up hill incline up the ski trails as you can imagine, approx. a mile and a half near as I can find info on. Once at the top the views are incredible. It's then 1.7 over to the horn and 1.7 back. This section is much more difficult terrain with ledge and rock climbing. More like true hiking especially for that elevation. Took aN hour over to the horn and an hour back and we are decent hikers. The whole day took us 5 hours, stopping for lots of photos, laughing and catching our breath.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

One if the best 360° views I have seen. A steep but fast climb up from the ski lodge is highly recommended.

Tuesday, August 08, 2017