Saddleback Mountain and The Horn via Appalachian Trail

Saddleback Mountain and The Horn via Appalachian Trail is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Rangeley, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.3 miles Elevation Gain: 2,752 feet Route Type: Out & Back

skiing

From Route 4, 38 miles north of the town of Farmington, ME look for signs for the ski resort. Make a right on Dallas Hill Road just before you get to the town of Rangeley.

icy

Although I thought I would be walking through the woods, this trail is almost entirely up a ski mountain. Difficulty was definitely hard, but the views at the top are totally worth it. Beautiful sights on the way down. We’re in reasonably good shape but had to stop a few times. Would recommend dressing warm as it is windy.

Great hike. The initial ascent to Saddleback peak was not my favorite part, as it was straight up several ski slopes with not much in the way of visual interest or variability in terrain. This part was much prettier on the way down as you’re looking out over the Rangeley lakes and distant peaks. I’ve read several other reviews which mentioned beautiful wildflowers on this part, but perhaps I missed these as I went up in late September. The rest of the hike featured a mix of alpine/subalpine areas with gorgeous views, some light rock scrambling, and some dips into wooded regions between Saddleback and the Horn. This was a lot of fun in both directions and I could feel a smile on my face the whole time. There was some water and mud, but nothing a few short hops and careful foot placement won’t handle. On my hike it was very windy at both peaks and in some exposed areas in between. ”Very windy” meaning at times I had to lean into the wind to avoid stumbling. I saw references to high winds in some other reviews so I’ll second the recommendations to bring a fleece and windbreaker or rain jacket even if it seems warm and calm at the bottom. As far as difficulty, I generally agree with the “hard” rating. I am in reasonably good shape and made the ascent without rest, but it was challenging. I would rate the rest of the hike between Saddleback and Horn as more of a medium difficulty with a few technical spots in between. Overall, a really nice hike with great views and some fun and interesting terrain once you get above treeline. If you are second-guessing based on the “hard” rating, I suggest taking your time on the way up and enjoying the transit at the top. Stay safe and happy hiking.

Beautiful! Trail well marked. Ridge line from just before Saddleback to The Horn. Amazing views of Rangeley Lake and other mountain ranges. A bit of mud and rocks on the ridge - nothing you couldn’t manage; I’m leaving with dry feet.

Great trail and beautiful views of the high peaks of Maine. The saddle from saddleback to the horn is sandwiched between low bush blueberries that you can grub on. One section is flooded and people have made a bypass through the woods other than that smooth sailing. Go hike Maine.

We hiked from the lodge straight up to the top. very challenging, follow the uphill access signs. The view from the top is incredible.

Steep hike up the ski slopes rewarded by beautiful views all along the ridge from Saddleback to the horn. Trail is well marked and in great shape. Relatively easy for a 4k footer.

Great Hike- amazing views.

Hike up from the Base Lodge of Saddleback ski area to the AT, all above tree line once on the AT to the Horn. Beautiful views of north and south of the mountains. All dry, ski area trails can be loose gravel and mud if it rains hard.

well marked trail leads up the mountain side. lovely views almost the entire time. a really wonderful hike

My dog Rylan and I had a fantastic morning hiking this trail. A bit buggy, but we got really lucky and hiked up just as the fog moved out for some fantastic views. Quick and rewarding hike.

Fairly easy 4K. Hiking up the ski trails was pretty boring for me as I prefer trails. Besides that, it is a great hike

One of my favorite hikes in Maine. You have a view within the first five minutes of the hike and the beauty continues all throughout. The ski trail up is a calf burner, but the wildflowers make it worth it. Enjoyed my lunch at the Horn on a beautiful afternoon.

Tons of wild flowers and amazing views from the summit make this a 4. We had a hard time finding the trail o the way up so bushwhacked through the lupine. Oddly enough popped out on the way down basically right where we started. Saw 15 AT sobo through hikers, amazing. Good day in the mountains. So far the Maine 4K don’t disappoint.

wonderful hike. basically straight up a ski trail until you reach the ridge line. wonderful views all the way up/down.

quite the hike sobo up saddleback Jr and the horn. up to saddleback Sr. and back down not as bad. 1st half of day 5 miles from poplar ridge lean to was over grown. pine trees growing from both sides of trail touching each other and other shrubs made looking at rocks and roots harder. needs a full day's work with volunteers to cut some wood beams for mud crossings and clear some brush.

Beautiful views at the top. mostly easy hiking, steep on the middle section. Nice views on the way up too.

Great hike. Views awesome.