Saddle Trail to Baxter Peak

Saddle Trail to Baxter Peak is a 10.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Northeast Piscataquis, Maine that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September.

This peak is more like something you’d expect to find in the rock mountains than in Maine. If you’ve visited Katahdin and Hamlin Peak, you need no explanation of how amazing this place is. If not, let the pictures do the talking. I have hiked many places in my life, from Grand Teton National Park to the Andes Mountains. But Katahdin is still my favorite, truly beautiful terrain and absolutely worth the effort. We took Hamlin Ridge up, which was a much more fun option than Saddle since it stays above treeline longer.

My very first summit in the Appalachians, this trail took us about 11 hours with lots of stops for photos and snacks. It has one rough scrambling area but in general it's one of the most gradual and forgiving of the Katahdin trails, good for beginners looking for a challenge!

This is the most popular route up Katahdin. Great hike. Took us 10 hours on the dot. Hit the trail at 7:20 am, checked out at 5:20 pm. Amazing views from the top. The weather changes quickly - be ready for anything!