Rumford Whitecap Trail

Rumford Whitecap Trail is a 5.3 mile out and back trail located near Rumford, Maine and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowboarding and is best used from December until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

snowboarding

It was the perfect fall day hike! An easy incline up with a terrain mix of gravel, leaves, stone stairs, and cairns. As everyone said, the 360 views at the top were amazing! So colorful and close to the wind turbines. No bathroom at the trailhead so plan accordingly in town.

Pro tip: “Take the yellow blazed trail up and the orange blazed trail down. Great mountain side views on the way up.” - the friendly greeters who maintain the trail

love this hike, try to do it weekly. not sure why its rated difficult or hard, is say moderate at best.

A well marked and maintained easy to modrrate trail based on your fitness level. We made it up (orange trail) and down in two hours. Lots of rough rock surface on the last 1/3 which is very to climb even when wet. The 360° view is a beauty!

I would rate this trail as easy. There was a steady incline at the beginning, but not too steep and the terrain is basically flat the entire way to the top. Anyone, any age could do this hike. I went yesterday with my dog, and we both very much enjoyed this trail. For only a 1600 footer, the 360 degree views are incredible. What a reward for such an easy hike! The trail markers are deep orange and are very easy to follow. Once out of the tree line you're greeted with flat rock and all the blueberries you can eat (at the right time of year!) I also saw what I believed to be 3 separate, very fresh piles of bear droppings. A must-do hike with the family!

One of my new favorite trails. More on the moderate side, steady incline the entire way, all worth it for the 360 degree views at the top!

great hike with blue berries at the top, 360 lookout, a must do hike! Not a hard hike, moderate at most.

I would have rated this moderate and not difficult. Kids with hiking experience can do this one. My 3 kids and dog did it with me without any issue. It was a beautiful trail, well groomed and I would definitely do it again.

Not difficult, just a pretty steady incline. The views are 180 and AMAZING!
It's one of my favorites, and pretty easy to do for such an amazing pay off- THE VIEW

Hiked in Jan 2017. Beautiful snowy forest. The red trail was broken out and solid, which made it slightly slick but less tiring. Wonderful extended open summit, although is was very icy in spots. Winter is a great time to hike if you're prepared. A wonderful, less demanding mountain.

Amazing hike with many perfect spots for a picnic. We did the loop, red trail up, yellow trail down. Definitely should not be rated hard, more like easy/moderate.

The 360° view is worth it every time!!!