Rumford Whitecap Trail

Rumford Whitecap Trail is a 5.3 mile out and back trail located near Rumford, Maine and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowboarding and is best used from December until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

snowboarding

I would rate this trail as easy. There was a steady incline at the beginning, but not too steep and the terrain is basically flat the entire way to the top. Anyone, any age could do this hike. I went yesterday with my dog, and we both very much enjoyed this trail. For only a 1600 footer, the 360 degree views are incredible. What a reward for such an easy hike! The trail markers are deep orange and are very easy to follow. Once out of the tree line you're greeted with flat rock and all the blueberries you can eat (at the right time of year!) I also saw what I believed to be 3 separate, very fresh piles of bear droppings. A must-do hike with the family!

One of my new favorite trails. More on the moderate side, steady incline the entire way, all worth it for the 360 degree views at the top!

great hike with blue berries at the top, 360 lookout, a must do hike! Not a hard hike, moderate at most.

I would have rated this moderate and not difficult. Kids with hiking experience can do this one. My 3 kids and dog did it with me without any issue. It was a beautiful trail, well groomed and I would definitely do it again.

Not difficult, just a pretty steady incline. The views are 180 and AMAZING!
It's one of my favorites, and pretty easy to do for such an amazing pay off- THE VIEW

Hiked in Jan 2017. Beautiful snowy forest. The red trail was broken out and solid, which made it slightly slick but less tiring. Wonderful extended open summit, although is was very icy in spots. Winter is a great time to hike if you're prepared. A wonderful, less demanding mountain.

Amazing hike with many perfect spots for a picnic. We did the loop, red trail up, yellow trail down. Definitely should not be rated hard, more like easy/moderate.

The 360° view is worth it every time!!!

Completed for the first time and instantly one of my favorite small hikes. The stream of water close to the top made the hike more enjoyable! Dog friendly hike as well.

A fun hike with some great views. I have hiked this in the summer, fall and winter. February of 2017 was a challenging hike with deep snow and plenty of streams to cross but was beautiful. I'll be back there again and again.

I've only been on a few hikes and this was my first time snowshoeing. It was pretty intense to me being a beginner with the recent snowfall, but the view at the top was definitely worth all the hard work.

There are two trials up. One by the mail trail head sign. And one 100 ft farther up the road. I prefer the one farther up the road. It is an open hike (old four wheeling trail) about a third of the way. The second third is a trail through the woods and the last third is the steep rock to the summit. Great views. About 1/2 summit to explore. Dog friendly :)

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Saturday, August 06, 2016

Moderate hike, not very hard. Hiked orange to the summit. Tried to take the yellow trail (Star trail) back down around the other side to complete the loop but the trail markers just stop at one point...I walked around trying to find my way, stood on a ledge and tried to see if I could find the rest of the trail, was out of luck and ended up having to turn around (as you can see from my map). The yellow trail needs to be remarked REAL bad. It's semi dangerous. Just take orange up and back.

Views at the top are spectacular! It's a nice place to have a lunch and enjoy the view. This also isn't a heavily trafficked trail at all. I only saw one party returning on my ascent.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

it was a great hike with awesome views!