Rumford Whitecap Trail

Rumford Whitecap Trail is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Rumford, Maine and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, downhill skiing, and snowboarding and is best used from December until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

This was my first time up & as a fairly out of shape new hiker, it was a great workout. I took the star/yellow trail up and the orange/red trail down. The star/yellow trail is not as well maintained as the orange/red, but well worth the bushwhacking for the scenic overlooks along the way. Didn’t see anyone else at all, but did see cars at the trailhead. The views were incredible & the summit is big and open allowing lots of exploration up top. I will definitely be coming back for a fall hike :)

Not a bad hike, has some good views. Only problem I had with it is all the black flies and I had 11 ticks on me, so bring bug repellent.

Awesome! The view is spectacular and the hike is pretty easy going. I would recommend bringing a long sleeve shirt or a sweatshirt for when you get to the top, as it was quite windy and chilly. We brought our Cavalier King Charles spaniel who is 4, and he had a blast.

I can't wait to go back with the family when the snow melts. Nice, well marked trail. Mid April is not the time to hike this trail as the main trail is the snow run off route. Many times the trail was under 6"+ of water.

Super pretty summit! Amazing views all around. There was still lots of snow on the ground (early April). The orange trail was pretty packed down- we didn't need micro-spikes or snowshoes. There were a couple of steep spots and mini stream crossings. The trail was easy to find and follow.

LOVE this moderate hike, have done it many times with my kids as they grew. Endless granite ledges at the top carpeted with blueberry bushes. The locals come up here with blueberry rakes in mid-August. Views are staggering. I have seldom found so great a payoff and never with such an easy climb. My all-time favorite hike.

skiing

The trailhead is located on East Andover Street. There is a sand pit/clearing on the right side of the road about .2 miles from the East Andover Street intersection. Just before that clearing, about a hundred yards, is a trailhead marked by several boulders (this is the trail to take up next time). We arrived at about 8:00 a.m. and by the time we got our equipment ready, it was 8:15 a.m. or so before we began the hike. We took the trail up from within the sand pit/clearing. We lost the trail and ended up following a snowmobile trail. There was some apparent foot traffic going off to the right at about 1300 feet which we should have taken, but we did not. We ended up having to bushwhack through the woods by going off the snowmobile trail and eventually connected with the foot trail we passed earlier. We had our snowshoes but did not need them, despite the volume of snow. There are two “peaks,” and we came up the smaller one first, only to see that the taller one was off in the distance. By the time we reached the true “top” where the U.S.G.S. pin was, it was about 10:00 a.m. The skiable slopes were the SE, NE, and SW facing side of the mountain. The snow on the SE slope softens up quickly and was too soft by about 11:00 a.m. The other two slopes were good for the rest of the time we were up there. Probably good to let the NE slope soften while skiing the SE slope. The SE side is the steeper of the slopes, and is the shorter, as well; it is a blue or
borderline black slope; we skied this slope twice. The NE side is a green/blue, but is long and is fun because it requires some navigation through the trees, which hide more open and skiable slopes beyond them; we skied this slope once. The SW side is the side we hiked up to the top; it is a blue with a lot of trees, dips, and streams to navigate, but not steep at all. We were able to ski the entire footpath down to the roadway, because we followed the trail marked by the boulders; we might have been able to ski the trial we took up. We arrived at the boulders about a hundred yards from the car and had to turn right to get to the car. We were down the mountain and at the car by about 1:00 p.m.

It was the perfect fall day hike! An easy incline up with a terrain mix of gravel, leaves, stone stairs, and cairns. As everyone said, the 360 views at the top were amazing! So colorful and close to the wind turbines. No bathroom at the trailhead so plan accordingly in town.

Pro tip: “Take the yellow blazed trail up and the orange blazed trail down. Great mountain side views on the way up.” - the friendly greeters who maintain the trail

love this hike, try to do it weekly. not sure why its rated difficult or hard, is say moderate at best.

A well marked and maintained easy to modrrate trail based on your fitness level. We made it up (orange trail) and down in two hours. Lots of rough rock surface on the last 1/3 which is very to climb even when wet. The 360° view is a beauty!

I would rate this trail as easy. There was a steady incline at the beginning, but not too steep and the terrain is basically flat the entire way to the top. Anyone, any age could do this hike. I went yesterday with my dog, and we both very much enjoyed this trail. For only a 1600 footer, the 360 degree views are incredible. What a reward for such an easy hike! The trail markers are deep orange and are very easy to follow. Once out of the tree line you're greeted with flat rock and all the blueberries you can eat (at the right time of year!) I also saw what I believed to be 3 separate, very fresh piles of bear droppings. A must-do hike with the family!

One of my new favorite trails. More on the moderate side, steady incline the entire way, all worth it for the 360 degree views at the top!

great hike with blue berries at the top, 360 lookout, a must do hike! Not a hard hike, moderate at most.

I would have rated this moderate and not difficult. Kids with hiking experience can do this one. My 3 kids and dog did it with me without any issue. It was a beautiful trail, well groomed and I would definitely do it again.

Not difficult, just a pretty steady incline. The views are 180 and AMAZING!
It's one of my favorites, and pretty easy to do for such an amazing pay off- THE VIEW

Hiked in Jan 2017. Beautiful snowy forest. The red trail was broken out and solid, which made it slightly slick but less tiring. Wonderful extended open summit, although is was very icy in spots. Winter is a great time to hike if you're prepared. A wonderful, less demanding mountain.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Amazing hike with many perfect spots for a picnic. We did the loop, red trail up, yellow trail down. Definitely should not be rated hard, more like easy/moderate.

Thursday, May 04, 2017

The 360° view is worth it every time!!!

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Completed for the first time and instantly one of my favorite small hikes. The stream of water close to the top made the hike more enjoyable! Dog friendly hike as well.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

A fun hike with some great views. I have hiked this in the summer, fall and winter. February of 2017 was a challenging hike with deep snow and plenty of streams to cross but was beautiful. I'll be back there again and again.

Sunday, January 01, 2017

I've only been on a few hikes and this was my first time snowshoeing. It was pretty intense to me being a beginner with the recent snowfall, but the view at the top was definitely worth all the hard work.

Monday, October 17, 2016

There are two trials up. One by the mail trail head sign. And one 100 ft farther up the road. I prefer the one farther up the road. It is an open hike (old four wheeling trail) about a third of the way. The second third is a trail through the woods and the last third is the steep rock to the summit. Great views. About 1/2 summit to explore. Dog friendly :)

Saturday, August 06, 2016

Moderate hike, not very hard. Hiked orange to the summit. Tried to take the yellow trail (Star trail) back down around the other side to complete the loop but the trail markers just stop at one point...I walked around trying to find my way, stood on a ledge and tried to see if I could find the rest of the trail, was out of luck and ended up having to turn around (as you can see from my map). The yellow trail needs to be remarked REAL bad. It's semi dangerous. Just take orange up and back.

Views at the top are spectacular! It's a nice place to have a lunch and enjoy the view. This also isn't a heavily trafficked trail at all. I only saw one party returning on my ascent.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

it was a great hike with awesome views!

Friday, April 15, 2016

great view

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The trail is rated as difficult but I would say it was more on the moderate-hard side. There's a parking lot across the street from the trailhead with maps and the trail is clearly marked with flags and blazes. We went in July and there was an abundance of wild blueberry bushes along the hike. The peak had fantastic panaramic views of the surrounding mountains. It's definitely not a high traffic hike but beautiful and worth while, especially if you like blueberries.