Rattlesnake Mountain via Bri-Mar Trail

Rattlesnake Mountain via Bri-Mar Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Raymond, Maine that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

An easy hike, close to Portland, Maine - only about a half mile from the parking lot to the best view. The view looks over Panther lake and towards Raymond. Could be slippery in the winter as the viewing ledge has a slope to it. There is no view from the summit which is an additional 1/2 mile from the first viewpoint. This is a good hike for small children as it is short and there is a good view within a 1/2 mile from the parking lot. As you can see from the map, there is one spot where it is a little steep.

We loved this hike for an early morning blood pumping walk with a view as a reward at the end. Unfortunately, no no dogs :(, so we can't go here. It's unfortunate that so many people with dogs off leash caused the owners to implement this rule.

Fantastic Views on many cliff sides

Fun easy climb but also a very good workout. The view is fantastic. Close to my home. Fun for kids.

Rattlesnake Mountain and the Bri-Mar Trail make for an excellent hike. There's a good variety of easy walking combined with some fairly challenging climbing. As others have mentioned, this hike provides a very good workout. My wife and I climbed at a brisk pace and our hearts were pounding. There are several steep sections as you proceed to the summit, but the trail is well-maintained and clear.

Just a word of caution or two, the parking area is extremely small. I read somewhere that you can park along the road if the lot is full. There are now sign prohibiting parking outside of the small lot. There are also signs warning of possible towing, so park carefully!

We also noticed several side-trails while climbing up and down. We followed one and it led off to a dirt road, well away from the trailhead, which required some backtracking, but nothing we couldn't handle. All in all, we loved this hike.

Pretty disappointed as my husband and I used to hike this trail with our dogs all the time... We went there today for the first time this year and saw the NO DOGS sign. So sad.

I've been hiking here for years with my dog and just saw the huge NO DOGS signs. Very disappointed. Seriously, what harm can a dog do?

Just FYI, dogs ARE NOT allowed on this trail (there are several signs posted). Also, VERY small parking area. I drove all the way out to hike the trail with my dog only to find there were no parking spots and couldn't take the dog anyway. Was a huge bummer.