Rattlesnake Mountain via Bri-Mar Trail

Rattlesnake Mountain via Bri-Mar Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Raymond, Maine that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 623 feet Route Type: Out & Back

An easy hike, close to Portland, Maine - only about a half mile from the parking lot to the best view. The view looks over Panther lake and towards Raymond. Could be slippery in the winter as the viewing ledge has a slope to it. There is no view from the summit which is an additional 1/2 mile from the first viewpoint. This is a good hike for small children. As you can see from the map, there is one spot where it is a little steep.

It's a fantastic cardio workout pretty steep patches to get the heart rate up. There are some places with some downed trees but the views just shy of the summit are beautiful. We're using it to work our way up to some bigger hikes.

A nice hike. Trees down across the trail in more than one spot. Pretty views. Bugs were aplenty.

Not a bad hike. Somewhat more difficult than Sabbatus but easier than Pleasant Mountain. Trail not well marked or maintained (numerous downed trees across trail). Beware of ticks - my friend and I each picked one off after the hike.

It's a steep climb, but well worth it for the view. It's not always marked well, so you have to pay attention.

Great established trail. Lots of bugs! Beautiful views of the lakes. Rocky in some parts but totally awesome.

bring deet.

This was a ton of fun. The leaves made going down the steep part a little precarious and as others said the top was lackluster, but midpoint views were beautiful.

The steep part of trail was covered in leaves making it slippery so it would probably be tough for a toddler to hike. The scenic view was pretty and there was a small stream/waterfall at the start of the trail that my kids enjoyed.

Great quick hike, perfect for hikers building their stamina for bigger trails.

The views make it worthwhile.

This is a good last minute hike destination to choose since it is fairly quick. I wasn't blown away by the view at the summit but still worth the trek up for a few hours of outdoor enjoyment! We went on the first day of fall and the colorful leaves on the ground were a highlight for sure. There were a few places where the path was a little uncertain so look for the red signs on the rocks and trees as you go!

A simple hike with enough elevation gain to be strenuous for me. I like to do a slightly shorter version of the trail (1.7 miles). . I turn around at the second and last outlook and don’t continue to the end. If you do that you’ll get a little more distance but almost no extra elevation and no more views. You’ll just walk a little further along the wooded ridge and I’m not usually interested in that.

I was turned off by the no dog thing- but on my way up- someone had a dog anyway- rebels... but seriously- a good hike- good views- but nothing to really look at except that scenic overlook- summit was very disappointing. It was ok, tho. Definitely good exercise! Just kinda boring.

Short and sweet. Awesome view of lakes from the top.

We loved this trail and the view were spectacular.

Good sandwiches at the local deli nearby.

This hike starts out by walking through a field of beautiful wild flowers. Once you pass through the tree line the trail steadily gets steeper and steeper. Once you get to the second viewpoint and take in the scenery the hike levels out but doesn’t really lead to anything

We hike this one quite a bit. Its got a steep section near the beginning that is a good work out and the view from the top is decent. There are a couple spots where it's not completely clear where to go, but nothing too bad and overall its not too hard to find your way.

Monday, June 04, 2018

Very steep trail and not the best views at the top. It was also really buggy so bring bug spray if the bugs bother you. No dogs allowed for some reason. I did this hike with a 3 year old who has done many hikes and would rate it as hard for such a little person. The footing was also difficult do to the rocks and leaves making everything feel loose.

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Nice hike with plenty of wildflowers and a nice view partway up. However, the trail is not always marked, and there are a few confusing side trails that may lead you astray. When you get to the large uprooted tree in the trail, go around to the LEFT of it to stay on the trail to the summit. There's a well-marked trail on the right that will take you down to a gravel road, so avoid it if you're heading to the top. If you find yourself heading down, you need to turn around!

Friday, May 18, 2018

a beautiful and peaceful hike. I do it as a loop in about 70 minutes. spend time at the first "summit" to take in those gorgeous views. parking is tricky.

Friday, May 18, 2018

I love the trail. I hiked it 7 months pregnant with 4 kids! its steep but fun and worth the view once your at the top.

Wednesday, May 09, 2018

Disappointed this trail is no longer dog friendly. I grew up in the area and used this trail often, many good memories. Not anymore though if my well behaved pup can't join. I'm sure there is good reason for this, but too bad nonetheless.

Monday, May 07, 2018

Close to home. Quick and beautiful.

Monday, April 30, 2018

I live less than 10 minutes from Rattlesnake. I think it is a great quick hike as it is short and steep. There are two viewpoints and as others have said past the second view point the actual "summit" doesn't actually have a view.

Sunday, April 01, 2018

FYI trail is closed . April 1st - May either 1st or 31st , we drove over and hour and 1/2 to find this out. We were there yesterday which was March 31st and it was closed !

Monday, March 05, 2018

This is great hike for kids & adults. Views are awesome! Parking can be tricky on busy days. Kasey Marsters Foxtrickadventures.com

Monday, October 23, 2017

Followed the Maine Mountain Guide, page 114, after the directions in Fifty Hikes in Southern Maine, page 29, let us down. We took the northern approach, heading southwesterly to the top from Route 11, just as the Guide described. The trail head, as it were, is across from an unpainted barn and at a “Tamarack Trl Pvt” road sign. When the book describes the trail and “overgrown,” that is an understatement. When the book describes the trail and “blue blazed,” that is an overstatement. In the beginning, after finding the trial, we had no problems because the trial is really wide enough to be a carriage road from years ago. We lost the “trail” several times, however, because the blazes are faint to non-existent and the trial positively disappears. Were it not for the gravel road to our left, we may have gotten lost. We did manage to bushwack our way to the top taking a southwesterly path. The ledges we found at 940 ft. gave us a gorgeous view of lakes, rivers, and marshes. We ate lunch there, and I’m not sure it was truly the top, but we headed northerly on a well trodden trail with faint blue blazes from the ledges. (We did not come up that way, however.) Sure enough, we lost the trial again when it intersected the gravel road. I cut an arrow into electric pole N0. 16/26 at about 720 ft. noting how to get to the trial from the road. We generally followed that road until I could see the trail (wide enough to be a carriage road) near the bottom and then took it to the car. We left the car at 12:40 p.m., made it to the ledges at 1:20 p.m., and made it back to the car at 2:20 p.m. The hike was very easy except where we bushwacked up a steep section to get to the ledges. If we stay to the road instead, this hike would be a cake walk with great rewards at the ledges in terms of views. We passed at least one other trail to the top which was in a field that we’ll have to try next time, as we saw a number of others parked there and hiked.

Thursday, September 21, 2017

We loved this hike for an early morning blood pumping walk with a view as a reward at the end. Unfortunately, no no dogs :(, so we can't go here. It's unfortunate that so many people with dogs off leash caused the owners to implement this rule.