Ragged Mountain Trail

Ragged Mountain Trail is a 4.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near West Rockport, Maine that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September.

The Loop Trail is discontinued now and they do not maintain it … The “quickest” way to get to the tower at the top (actually the trail passes just below it) is via the Route 17 trailhead, and as you will likely find, it isn’t an easy hike once you start climbing. The approaches from Thorndike Brook and Barnestown are easier (i.e. more of a gradual climb), but they result in a long hike to get all the way over to the tower. However, either of those routes is an easier experience than coming up from Route 17.

Very steep but beautiful trail.

easy, maybe slightly moderate.

A great aggressive climb with many switchbacks that help attain elevation with many scenic outlooks. The "up" worked my legs and lungs however coming down really taxed my 69 year old knees. The whole hike, with a generous 20" break at the summit, took approximately 2 1/4 hours.

One of my new favorites. A great combination of challenges and rewards. Multiple, what I called "pseudo-summits", that give you a variety of views and places to stop for a beautiful lunch. Views of area lakes, mountains, and the nearby ocean.

A few great views. Great hike

Great trail. Several steep spots but it was all worth it

Good hike and good markers

Decided to take the family for a hike. From parking area off rt 17 to radio tower its 5.69 miles round trip. Little wet and slippery on some sections of the trail but great view on top.

Absolutely amazing views! Love it!

Awesome views at the top.

Great hike, great views. Good challenge for average hiker. Well travelled, well marked.

Monday, August 15, 2016

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

I hiked the Ragged Mountain loop via Camden Snow Bowl. I found it to be an easy hike, starting out wide and clear on snow mobile trails. It slowly narrowed into a small foot path, winding through the forest, into some beautiful meadows and back down around the mountain. Halfway through the hike I wished I hadn't forgot my insect repellent! I would advise something to deter the bugs, a hat or bandana. I also noticed some poison ivy close to the trail, long pants would be a safe bet. The trails are pretty well marked and the info signs are well stocked with free maps. I hiked from blue to orange and back to blue. It was about 6 miles and took me about 2 hours. Overall a really nice walk through the woods :)

Thursday, June 23, 2016

The trail at the tip was not well marked. Ended up running into the right trial.