Rachel Carson and Atlantic Way Trail

Rachel Carson and Atlantic Way Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Saco, Maine that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 88 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

I didn’t have an issue with bugs as mentioned by others, but I was disappointed that 3 of the 5 miles were along fairly busy roadways- not exactly the walk through the nature preserve I had expected.

First off- if you put this into your GPS from this site, it takes you directly to someone’s house in the middle of a residential neighborhood. The actual address that you should put into your GPS is 5 Atlantic Way, Saco ME. There’s a trailhead at the end of that street. Limited parking. Second- we doused ourselves with bug spray and still were covered in bites by the end of it. The only good thing I can say is that after the mile or so trail through the ridiculously buggy woods, it spits you out right near Bayview Beach, which is totally worth it. We didn’t want to deal with bugs and walk the same path back, so we walked about 2 miles on main roads to get back to the car. I wouldn’t recommend this walk at all. If you live around here it might be a nice trial for running or taking the dog for a walk in the off season or something but I would never in a million years seek it out.

goes along coastal community rds and through the state park and beaches

Tue Aug 07 2018

BUGS BUGS BUGS! Even with bug spray!