Learn more

Popham Beach is a 1.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Phippsburg, Maine that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September.

Distance: 1.5 miles Elevation Gain: 9 feet Route Type: Out & Back

paddle sports

beach

This state park is now open again. We were there on a blustery day, so not many people. Beautiful views. Since it was low tide we walked out to the island. I had on sneakers and was glad I did. The rocks are rough and sharp on the island, but again, lovely views, including of two lighthouses. The state has done a good job of enforcing social distancing in the bathrooms and there are separate walking paths for entering and exiting the beach

Love this place it’s one of my kids favorites.Theres a fort and trail on top of the hill behind this fort as well

Out of numerous Maine beaches, this was my favorite. Fort was very interesting...go check it out.

One of the best walking beaches on the eastern seaboard.

Sun Feb 17 2019

Nice view

Thu Nov 08 2018

Was visiting family in Harpswell and couldn’t be happier we visited here. The beach was just amazing. Walking though the fort really gives you an appreciation for the history that took place. Another place I went to but isn’t pulling up on here is Fort Edgecomb. Everything was so beautiful I just didn’t want to leave!

Fri Aug 24 2018

As good as it gets.

Wed Jan 31 2018

Sat Sep 02 2017

You can walk to the Island when the water parts and find a bunch of Sand Dollars. Absolutely Beautiful. The fort at the end is something you want to adventure down towards

Wed Feb 22 2017

From Brunswick at the end of July, we took our first day-trip to Popham State Park, located at the end of the Bath peninsula, by taking a right turn just before crossing the bridge at US-1 onto 209S at Bath. After paying the $5 fee, we surveyed the pristine beach close to low tide. This is the beach where Message in a Bottle was filmed, starring Kevin Costner. We walked along the beach, which was not very crowded. The water was cold and numbed our feet. We waded a ways and noticed that as the tide went out, the rocky island was more accessible. We waded right on across and didn't get wet past our thighs. The water was refreshing, and the rocks were easy to climb (maybe will take water shoes next time as rocks are sharp).

Wed Sep 07 2016

Gorgeous and beautiful, longer beach walk. Totally different scenery at different tides. I was there at high tide so couldn't walk out to the islands, but still amazing and beautiful day. Definitely take time to explore the Fort, as well

Wed Aug 24 2016

Love going when tide is out!!! Fun for all ages! Very well kept also!!!

Mon Oct 12 2015

Popham Beach has been a favorite of mine since childhood. It's always clean, the views are breathtaking and there is a great little island that you can get to at low tide.

Mon Oct 12 2015

Vast beach to enjoy. Loved to play against the moderate river current that opens towards the ocean. Great destination!

Tue Jul 21 2015

Very clean

Sat Jul 06 2013

One of my family's favorite hikes since there's a fort for the kids to explore and lots of photography opportunities for me. I truly felt like we were at Land's End. And there's a nearby lighthouse!

recorded Popham Beach