Pleasant Mountain via Southwest Ridge Trail

Pleasant Mountain via Southwest Ridge Trail is a 5.4 mile out and back trail located near Denmark, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

1984 feet

Amazing, beautiful hike! Very ICY! Take proper precautions

The views are incredible. Be advised that currently on the southwest trail it’s slabs on slabs of ice. You will want micro spikes for sure. Great challenge though. Definitely going back

Hiked it on October 13, 1992, and October 24, 2015.

Pleasant hike with lots of views near the top. There are many variations to increase or decrease the length of the hike based on time and energy available. It is a bit crowded though.

Beautiful view from the top. Great place for dogs off leash. First half is harder than the first, so don’t get discouraged!

Such an amazing hike, well marked trails, beautiful views along the way up, barely anyone on the trail, so incredible!!!!

Challenging hike. Lots of elevation. Great views.

This was a fairly challenging hike. It was more difficult than what I was anticipating. There weren't any steps in the rocks so the footing wasn't as stable as when hiking trails in Colorado or even the Alps. We had to abandon the trail midway. Nice views for the section that we saw.

Compared to the Bald Peak Trail, this trail was more challenging in my opinion. Starts off with a steady incline, but the views are fantastic all the way up. Lots of bees at the top today but nice hike as always.

Hiked this with my 3 and 7 year old. It took us several hours with lots of "chilling out," but the views and overlooks on the way made it fun and the kids really enjoyed the rock cairns. It was well marked and easy for the kids to lead.

This is a very well marked trail with more than a few fantastic off shoots and vistas, nothing too far off the trail. Though this is rated Moderate, I definitely felt like I earned it the entire hike, up and down. Great trail with varied terrain as there are lots of ups and downs on both the ascent and descent. I was racing the sun and went out and back in 3 hours. It was my first solo hike in a new place and I didn't want to be on the mountain after dark, luckily there are some spots for a bit of trail running even as the light got dimmer. The view at the top is quite stunning.

childhood favorite

I like this trail
because it's close to home and you get a cell phone signal thru most of the hike, in case of emergency.

Southwest trail has beautiful views and nature on the way up, but quite a,long hike. Be prepared. I didn't have enough water, but a group of generous hikers helped me and my dog out with water. The summit is worth the hike!!

Really fun hike, wonderful views the whole time up. A lot of people were stopping at the Southwest Summit but we went to the main summit and great views of the white mountains. Also a really cool fire tower at the top, but unfortunately is boarded up .

Great trail with some beautiful vistas along the way to the summit.

Great hike, hiked it with my dog and saw a couple other pups making the trek. So many incredible views the entire way up. Would highly recommend. Actual distance differed from the 5.4 miles listed. I tracked it as 2.85 miles each way.

Great hike with a valley vista almost every 3/4 of a mile. It's about 2 miles to the first summit, then another mile to the "main summit" that has a sweeping view of the White Mountains including Mt Washington. On may 21, there were lots of ticks, flys, and mosquitos. Especially in the late afternoon! Round trip it took us about 6 hours. And we are slow hikers

Took this hike all the way to the summit. great hike. steep at the beginning. great lookouts and views