Pleasant Mountain via Southwest Ridge Trail

Pleasant Mountain via Southwest Ridge Trail is a 5.4 mile out and back trail located near Denmark, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

1984 feet

A very fun little day hike, great for dogs and kids. Our 8 year old daughter has been hiking this with us since she was 6. Plan on about 3-4 hours, depending on how many breaks and how long you break for. Pretty views along the way. On summit most days you get an impressive view of Mount Washington.

You’ll want bug spray.

Perfect climb to kick off the season. Views at so many points of the hike.

Awesome hike! Took my 1 year-old Brussels Griffon. He did great :)

Trail is in great condition. Fun little hike. Bring bug spray.

Hiked Pleasant Mountain via Southwest Ridge today 5/27/18. Trail. 2.9 miles up and 2.9 miles back. Took about 3 hours of hiking. I’m 58, my daughter is 28. And my dog is 4.
A great day! A terrific trail. Starts up right out of the gate. View from various ledges on the way are terrific. Maine is a special place.
My dog picked up 4 porcupine quills half way up. Glad I had my Swiss Army knife with pliers.
Harder than I thought, but agree it is moderate.
Lunch at the top. Parking lot 2.8 miles on Denmark Road, off of Route 302.
Will look for similar hike in June. Great trail and well marked. Thanks to landowner(s) who let us use it!

My husband and I hiked the Southwest Ridge Trail yesterday. It was our first hike this spring, and we probably should have worked up to it! The trail goes straight up the mountain, which means straight down at the end! There are very few flat areas for respite. It is listed as moderate, but we would also consider it strenuous, due to the steepness and rocky nature of the trail That being said, it was gorgeous. The day was perfect and the views spectacular. We will definitely go back later in the season. Do NOT forget bug spray! We met only two other hikers, but shared the trail with millions of mosquitos!

Great hike. We ended up going all the way to Bald Face from this trail and it was 8.2 out and back.

Nice little tune up for NH this year. You can see Washington still snow capped off in the distance.

Perfect 2-3 hour hike. Beautiful pics, turn-outs and enjoyable summit. Really fun to race back down.

Absolutely loved this hike. It was difficult, with periods of large grade, but absolutely doable for two out-of-hiking shape enthusiasts. Gorgeous views at every turn, and plenty of spots to rest if needed.

Hiked in April of 2016. amazing views all the way up. theres a dip in elevation between peaks so be aware. took about 2 and a half up. Great hike.

Amazing, beautiful hike! Very ICY! Take proper precautions

The views are incredible. Be advised that currently on the southwest trail it’s slabs on slabs of ice. You will want micro spikes for sure. Great challenge though. Definitely going back

Hiked it on October 13, 1992, and October 24, 2015.

Pleasant hike with lots of views near the top. There are many variations to increase or decrease the length of the hike based on time and energy available. It is a bit crowded though.

Beautiful view from the top. Great place for dogs off leash. First half is harder than the first, so don’t get discouraged!

Such an amazing hike, well marked trails, beautiful views along the way up, barely anyone on the trail, so incredible!!!!

Challenging hike. Lots of elevation. Great views.

This was a fairly challenging hike. It was more difficult than what I was anticipating. There weren't any steps in the rocks so the footing wasn't as stable as when hiking trails in Colorado or even the Alps. We had to abandon the trail midway. Nice views for the section that we saw.

Compared to the Bald Peak Trail, this trail was more challenging in my opinion. Starts off with a steady incline, but the views are fantastic all the way up. Lots of bees at the top today but nice hike as always.

Hiked this with my 3 and 7 year old. It took us several hours with lots of "chilling out," but the views and overlooks on the way made it fun and the kids really enjoyed the rock cairns. It was well marked and easy for the kids to lead.

This is a very well marked trail with more than a few fantastic off shoots and vistas, nothing too far off the trail. Though this is rated Moderate, I definitely felt like I earned it the entire hike, up and down. Great trail with varied terrain as there are lots of ups and downs on both the ascent and descent. I was racing the sun and went out and back in 3 hours. It was my first solo hike in a new place and I didn't want to be on the mountain after dark, luckily there are some spots for a bit of trail running even as the light got dimmer. The view at the top is quite stunning.

childhood favorite

I like this trail
because it's close to home and you get a cell phone signal thru most of the hike, in case of emergency.

Southwest trail has beautiful views and nature on the way up, but quite a,long hike. Be prepared. I didn't have enough water, but a group of generous hikers helped me and my dog out with water. The summit is worth the hike!!

Really fun hike, wonderful views the whole time up. A lot of people were stopping at the Southwest Summit but we went to the main summit and great views of the white mountains. Also a really cool fire tower at the top, but unfortunately is boarded up .

Great trail with some beautiful vistas along the way to the summit.

Great hike, hiked it with my dog and saw a couple other pups making the trek. So many incredible views the entire way up. Would highly recommend. Actual distance differed from the 5.4 miles listed. I tracked it as 2.85 miles each way.

Thursday, June 08, 2017

Great hike with a valley vista almost every 3/4 of a mile. It's about 2 miles to the first summit, then another mile to the "main summit" that has a sweeping view of the White Mountains including Mt Washington. On may 21, there were lots of ticks, flys, and mosquitos. Especially in the late afternoon! Round trip it took us about 6 hours. And we are slow hikers

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Took this hike all the way to the summit. great hike. steep at the beginning. great lookouts and views

Sunday, May 28, 2017