Pleasant Mountain via Southwest Ridge Trail

Pleasant Mountain via Southwest Ridge Trail is a 5.4 mile out and back trail located near Denmark, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Bad black flies. Iffy attitude. Decided to turn around. Not today. No regrets.

Awesome trail network, you can combine loops with a little creative:)

This was a great first hike of the season! In the past, we’ve done Pleasant Mountain by way of the ridges trail. This trail Is a bit longer (my Garmin measure 6.2 out and back to the main summit) and starts out with rather steep inclines. If you are not in great shape, bring poles for the descent. The views are outstanding both at the top and all along the ridge on the way up. We hiked with our two dogs (a Portuguese Water Dog and a yorkie). They both loved it. Do beware of ticks. We found several on the dogs. Go early, pack a lunch and enjoy a rest on the main summit. What a great way to spend a day!

Nice hike, great views, dog loved it. Great picnic spot at the top. Ended up with 3 ticks attached so check carefully when home. My wife's Garmin watch measured the distance as 6.24 miles and an elevation gain of 2178 feet from parking lot to the main summit so is a bit farther than shown.

Even on a rainy day, worth going for the view

Nice hike, good views.

I was the first person on the trail after the recent snow. There was 2" of crusty fresh snow on top of 6-8" at the bottom. There was 4"+ of new snow on top of 24"+ at the top. Gorgeous sunny day in low 30s to start and low 40s to end. I only hiked 3.9 miles (round trip) going to the southernmost peak, which has the radio towers. From there I had a great view of Mount Washington and the Presidentials. I met two groups of hikers on my down. There's a very good description in the book "Mountains for Mortals, scenic summits for hikers", by Ron and Nancy Chase.

Fun trail and you get a couple of overlooks on your way up. It’s doable without snowshoes at this point, but once you get past the junior summit to head to the main summit snowshoes would make it significantly easier of a hike.

my favorite of all the trails to the fire tower. Best views especially after the leaves fall. Well marked and reasonably dry 2 days after heavy rains

Nice trail, after about 40 minutes of up thru the woods ,trail opens up to ledges with beautiful views Then runs along them to the top, we stopped at the southwest ridge took about 1.45 minutes and had lunch, and headed back . Great trail we will be back

Worth the view

Great hike! A bit hard in some places, but the views were nice!!

Been hiking Pleasant Mtn for 10 years on the Fire Warden Trail and the trails off Mountain Rd, but have never done the SW Ridge Trail, for whatever reason. We have been missing out! This is now my favorite way to summit Pleasant Mtn. Many great views on the way up and a great workout. It’s rated moderate, but I would put it on the upper end of moderate. The views at the main summit are always enjoyable.

Did this one today! Wonderful hike up, great views, can’t wait to do it in the fall

What a great trail! I have hiked Pleasant Mountain via the Ledges Trail before and almost did that one again today but at the last minute decided to try something new, and I'm so glad I did! the trail goes through lots of different zones - open forest, bare rock, grassy areas, more dense forest - so there's a lot of variety to keep the hike interesting. A few spots with nice views on the way up and gorgeous views of the Whites from the top.

Watch out for porcupine my dog got jacked up at the Vet

Finally got to hiking the mountain in my hometown-we went on a hot day so it was difficult with my asthma but if we’d done this hike on a fall day I’d rate it moderate. Trail starts out steep right away! But levels out as you go. We found a BUNCH of blueberries on the trail, bushes everywhere. Overall a fun hike and pretty views.

Wonderful trail with beautiful views. It’s moderate but definitely. strenuous if you aren’t in good shape. Took my dog along. Saw a few people along the way. From Denmark road parking area it’s about 3 miles to the top. There is access from the other side of mountain that is about a mile shorter. Took about 2 1/2 hrs to reach the summit and about 1 hr 40 mins to get down. Stopped a number of times for my dog who was really struggling with the heat, and for ourselves on the way up to catch our breath. We had plenty of water. On hot humid days you will need about 3 liters of water for a person plus a dog. Trail is steep from the start until reaching about 2/3 of the way up, then there is relief as you hike the ridge. Definitely worth repeating.

The hike gets steep right from the start but that just means that you get to the great views faster. I found the views along the ridge on the way up to be just as enjoyable as the view from the top, if not even more so. This was my first time hiking alone so I was nervous about getting lost but the trail is very well marked by either yellow diamonds or cairns.

Great hike! Took about an hour and a half to get to the summit. I would say this is a moderate hike, like others have mentioned it starts right off steep right away and then levels off for a little before the last steep trek to the summit. Had great look out points throughout the whole trip. Would recommend for a quick day hike in a beautiful area!

great mountain. feels longer than it is. the summit is badly marked but the top of the mountain is so beautiful that it doesn't matter. at least 3 or 4 false summits that were all gorgeous. some rock scrambles toward the top. I wouldn't suggest folks who aren't active do this trail.

One of the best hikes in the southern Maine area! It’s steep from the very start but levels out a little bit as you get closer to the peak. I’d call the trail moderate but it was definitely a workout! Beautiful, beautiful views at the top. The abundance of blueberries as we approached the peak was a plus.

Favorite trail of all time. Definitely moderate and has tough stretches, but is a great hike with beautiful views. Get lucky and go at the right time of the year and there is also wild Maine blueberries at the top (walk into the bushes all the way to the right)!

A very fun little day hike, great for dogs and kids. Our 8 year old daughter has been hiking this with us since she was 6. Plan on about 3-4 hours, depending on how many breaks and how long you break for. Pretty views along the way. On summit most days you get an impressive view of Mount Washington. You’ll want bug spray.

Perfect climb to kick off the season. Views at so many points of the hike.

Awesome hike! Took my 1 year-old Brussels Griffon. He did great :)

Trail is in great condition. Fun little hike. Bring bug spray.

Hiked Pleasant Mountain via Southwest Ridge today 5/27/18. Trail. 2.9 miles up and 2.9 miles back. Took about 3 hours of hiking. I’m 58, my daughter is 28. And my dog is 4. A great day! A terrific trail. Starts up right out of the gate. View from various ledges on the way are terrific. Maine is a special place. My dog picked up 4 porcupine quills half way up. Glad I had my Swiss Army knife with pliers. Harder than I thought, but agree it is moderate. Lunch at the top. Parking lot 2.8 miles on Denmark Road, off of Route 302. Will look for similar hike in June. Great trail and well marked. Thanks to landowner(s) who let us use it!

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

My husband and I hiked the Southwest Ridge Trail yesterday. It was our first hike this spring, and we probably should have worked up to it! The trail goes straight up the mountain, which means straight down at the end! There are very few flat areas for respite. It is listed as moderate, but we would also consider it strenuous, due to the steepness and rocky nature of the trail That being said, it was gorgeous. The day was perfect and the views spectacular. We will definitely go back later in the season. Do NOT forget bug spray! We met only two other hikers, but shared the trail with millions of mosquitos!