Penobscot Mountain Trail

Penobscot Mountain Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Desert, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.9 miles Elevation Gain: 974 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Note: Trail can be CLOSED in the east sections due to bird nesting. Please check with the park page for more information.

id say its moderate not hard but over all a great view at the top.

Beautiful views of the south side of the island as you go up.

This was a lot of fun! It was tough in some spots but the fun and the views makes it worth it. It offers a little bit of everything when combined with Jordan Cliffs; steps, scrambles, boulders, scree, ladders, bridges, rungs, railings, cliffs and so on. Bring water. Take your time and breaks if not experienced or don’t like heights. Worth it!

I took spring trail up which reminded me a lot of the beehive trail, the actual Penobscot trail is very rocky with little shade but still enjoyable. I went earlier in the morning and it was practically empty with only one other family on the trail. I then took deer brook trail down which was very buggy because it follows the brook. It is however an easier way to get to and from the top of the mountain. It then connects to the Jordan pond loop. On the way down Penobscot there are many chances to join onto other trails including the sergeant mountain trail which is only a mile add on to the original hike and Jordan cliffs. It’s is more challenging but the view is definitely worth it!

Rocky at the beginning but smooth ascent to the summit. Took Deer Brook and Jordan Pond Path back to starting point at Jordan Pond House.

We did Penobscot and Sargent together then the second half of the Jordan pond look. Incredible views for only 5.3 miles. Some strenuous ascents and descents

I loved this trail. A bit of a challenge for a Florida gal, but fantastic views of MDI. I took the back side down, Deer Brook Trail back to the Carriage Road. Parking at Jordan Pond is a pain! Road around for a while to get a parking space.

hiked Penobscot to Sergeant then down Sergeant East Cliff trail. to a detour up to Jordan Cliff Trail hoping to return to Jordan Pond Parking but when we arrived at the junction of East trail we discovered it was closed for bird nesting. Followed Deer Brook trail to Jordan Pond Trail. Jordan Pond Trail was really muddy in 5he detours. great trip. A little steep at 5he beginning and a few places on the Sergeant East Cliff trail were steep, wet and slippery

We did this trail again after ~19 years with our 10year old daughter and 16yr old nephew. This is still our favorite hike in the park. With kids, I would def start from Jordan Pond House and end along the lake coming back since the beginning has lots of steep rocks to scramble up and would be easier then going down. The views are amazing along the way with 360 degree views at the top. We came down the other side and finished walking next to Jordan Pond. Our 10yr old was a little tired and it is buggy coming down by the steam so bring bug spray. The best part is sitting outside and finishing up with pop-overs and beers at the Jordan Pond House and enjoying views.

if I did this trail again I would start by going past Jordan Pond. On a clear day this would allow you to be facing the ocean on your descent from the top instead of having your back to it during the climb. The view would be much better this way. Aside from that, it was a great hike.

Awesome hike! It’s truly unique and absolutely breathtaking. The first half is harder than the second half so don’t give up early! It will take some endurance to finish but the views are well worth the climb. The incredible breeze at the peak makes it easy to cool down. There are a few iron rungs and rails, but nothing too intimidating. One of the best trails in Acadia... I’ve done it every year.

increadable views. first 29 minutes allot of stairs but so worth it

Hiked the Spring trail to Penobscot, and then down via Deer Brook to Jordan Pond on Memorial Day Weekend. Surprisingly few people; the black flies maybe played a role there. We had our beagle/cattle dog with us, and we did have to hoist him up a rock scramble twice. He usually is a great hiker, so I would definitely caution anyone hiking with a pup to be aware of their abilities. That being said, he had a blast and did fine the rest of the way! Amazing views at the top!

If you only have one or two days in Acadia I would recommend doing this trail in combination with the Sargent mountain trail as it takes you up the summit of both mountains and back around through Penobscot to spring trail and Jordan Pond. If you choose this option you'll be hiking and climbing a good 6-8 hours with exertion ranging from moderate to fairly strenuous. Wonderful views abound!

Still one of my favorite hikes, ever. I use this hike in my meditation sessions. The view at the top is spectacular

Loved this trail! The views are incredible and it’s a steep climb all the way up. We actually got to the top and then swung across to merge with the Jordan Ridge Trail which proved to be even harder (climbing stair rods and bouldering) but eventually got us back to Jordan Pond. Don’t forget to get a popover from the Jordan Pond House!

I think this is going to be my favorite in Acadia. We were even socked in with fog which made the top eerie and totally unique. We took the Spring Trail up and Penobscot Trail down. Penobscot was much more gradual down than the rocky Spring Trail- and added an additional half mile or so. Doing this in mid Fall was a plus with all foliage on the way up every color imaginable. We want to do it again on a day with a view, but even with the fog the top was amazing and almost felt we were on the moon. This one is a don’t miss. My wife who is a little scared of heights had no problems at all.

nice hike with great view up top

Take it clockwise and you get the challenging stretch out of the way early. Views from the top are close to 360 degrees. Spectacular by any definition.

Just finished this amazing trail with my boyfriend! I would definitely rate it as a moderate technical trail as there's a bit of scrambling Midway through. The views were truly breathtaking. It was minimally to moderately populated on a Friday late morning/early afternoon. Regardless, the view was truly impeccable.