Penobscot Mountain Trail

Penobscot Mountain Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Desert, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Bar Harbor, ME: Travel the Park Loop Road to approximately .5 mile north of Jordan Pond Gatehouse. The trail begins on the west side of the road in the Jordan House parking lot. Walk to the boat ramp and begin on the path running on the pond's southern shore.

My husband and I did this hike yesterday starting from Jordan Pond. We got a little confused at a trail crossing because it said either a left for Sargent South or straight for Spring Trail. We couldn't find Spring Trail on the map so we went the Sargent South route. We eventually turned around and went back to go the Spring Trail. The hike was very unique and we really enjoyed it. The views from the summit were incredible! The bog cotton and little pond were pretty too. We went down the opposite way toward Jordan and hiked around the pond. That was beautiful as well! I would recommend this hike for sure. Keep in mind that it can be difficult at parts so I wouldn't do this hike with my dog or with children.

This was my favorite of the hikes that we went on during our trip to Acadia National Park. It's much less crowded than Beehive Loop or Cadillac Mountain, and provides some of the most amazing views in the entire park. It's definitely challenging, but the hardest part is towards the beginning, and the climb becomes less steep as you start to move above the tree line. The summit offers 360 degree views of the park and surrounding areas - including gorgeous, unobstructed views of Jordan Pond, Cadillac Mountain, and the smaller islands off the coast.

From the summit, you can take a connecting trail down a ravine and up to the top of Sargent Mountain, which is the park's second highest mountain, behind Cadillac. This only adds about 2 or so miles to the hike, round trip, and it's totally worth it. We'd intended to take Jordan Cliffs trail back down the mountain, but this trail was closed for falcon nesting at the time of our visit.

I did this trail clockwise so Penboscot trail first which was pretty much a vertical climb/continuous staircase which was a killer workout. Then it was a slow incline up the Penboscot open face mountain with epic 360 views of Acadia. Then it was a smooth descent down the Jordan Cliffs which was a nice view/overlook of the nearby lake. Highly recommend as this has some really epic views.

We took our way up via Penobscot trail in a rainy day. It was the craziest thing I’ve ever done in my life. The rocks were so steep n slippery, there were iron rungs for you to hold onto but sometimes we just had to grip the ridge of those rocks to pass by. It was a lot challenging than Beehive n Precipce. Made it all the way up, hiked on the flat top of the mountain then took Spring trail to go back down. It was easier if you start from Spring trail then use Deer Brook to go back down. I would use the same way up if I could be back here.

beautiful views

What a hike! One of my favorites in the park! It was foggy at the summit so the view at the top was rather blocked but the way up and down was absolutely breathtaking. No traffic, calming sounds of water, beautiful staircases/bridges. 100% recommend, it's a challenge but worth it!

I hiked this with wife and my 8 and 10 yr old, starting at Jordan Pond, to the Spring Trail to Penobscot, taking to the summit then down to Jordan Pond via Deer Brook trail. 2.75 hrs total. The early ascents up the cliffs are challenging but the reward at the summit is well worth it!

Went up on a super foggy day and it was still worth it - challenging but not impossible. If you do go up in the fog, I would recommend wearing a raincoat. And don't forget tea and popovers at Jordan Pond House as a reward at the end!

We love this hike. Didn't find the southern trail so we took the "Spring Trail" to the top, quite difficult (some of our party turned back). See newest Acadia trail maps for actual trail. The route shown here includes the "Spring Trail" from the south. To the North tie into "Deer Brook" trail for a wonderful overall half day hike.

Talked to a ranger about the park and this was his personal favorite. We decided to try it along with the Spring Trail, Sargent Mt Trail, and Sargent East Cliffs Trail. The Jordan Cliffs Trail is closed due to Peregrine Falcon nesting.

This trail was rocky and steep through the forest and smooth along the bare rock face. Very beautiful view of Jordan Pond, the Bubbles, and Eagle Lake.

Stellar views! I felt like I was in another country--like the Scottish hillside because of the rockiness. Beautiful hike!

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Loved this trail. Found it by accident after realizing Jordan Cliffs was closed for the breeding Falcons. The views on this trail are outstanding. Great leg burner but not too long. Can't go wrong with choosing this hike

Thursday, December 29, 2016

Great Winter hike. Look for snowy owls on the east ledges. Saw 4!

Monday, October 24, 2016

This was a phenomenal trek which includes rocky cliff switchbacks and a few vertical climbs. Once above tree line there are several false summits but the views are stunning and keep you engaged and motivated to summit. Sunblock is highly recommended and scrambling up the vertical cliffs always felt safe...there are even a few spots with some wood railings for added safety but does not take away from the being in nature feeling. Another great thing about this trail was that despite being late September, we only saw a few other couples...a great hike to challenge you physically, mentally and dodge the touristy areas.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Very strenuous but a lot of fun. Took this up, then stopped at Sargent Pond, then took Jordan Cliffs down. It might have been one of my favorite hikes of the trip.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

This is a killer hike. Great challenge and beautiful views. The summit offers 3)0 views including Sargent mountain, Jordan pond, the ocean, and more. I was the only one on the mountain at 7:30 am on a Saturday.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Started at Jordan Pond and went up Spring Trail to the top of Penobscot. It was fairly steep at the beginning but pretty fun trail. Had to slightly boost our black lab up only one section on the trail. Views were great. Then down the other side to connect with the north end of Jordan pond. Before getting there there is a very nice and new stair action near the carriage trail. Walk along Pond is nice but more crowded.

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Hiked up via the Jordan Cliffs trail. Probably my favorite in all of Acadia.

Sunday, June 07, 2015

Fantastic! We started at Jordan's Pond and set out to do the Jordan's Cliffs. However they are closed due to falcon nesting until August 15th. So we continued to complete the Penobscot Mountain and down Spring Trail. Challenging climb and beautiful views. So happy we did it!

Friday, December 05, 2014

Beautiful hike all the way up. Rocky at the start, then halfway up you can look out over Jordon Pond and the ocean on a stone bench. Could have stayed there all day. Then the 360 views walking up towards the top are unforgettable. And yes, expect a refreshing breeze

Friday, October 18, 2013

Wonderful trail. Did not get to enjoy the views because of the fog, but it did kind of give the trail a Scottish Highlands kind of feel. Really neat terrain. Took this trail down after coming up the Jordan Cliffs Trail.

Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Worth every breath it takes to reach the summit. Awesome 360 views. One thing is to expect it to be windy here on top. Be prepared for cooler in early morning hikes. Great to combine with Sargent.

Saturday, May 12, 2012

One of my favorite trails. Awesome 360 panorama from the top.