Penobscot Mountain Trail

Penobscot Mountain Trail is a 3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Desert, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Bar Harbor, ME: Travel the Park Loop Road to approximately .5 mile north of Jordan Pond Gatehouse. The trail begins on the west side of the road in the Jordan House parking lot. Walk to the boat ramp and begin on the path running on the pond's southern shore.

I did this trail clockwise so Penboscot trail first which was pretty much a vertical climb/continuous staircase which was a killer workout. Then it was a slow incline up the Penboscot open face mountain with epic 360 views of Acadia. Then it was a smooth descent down the Jordan Cliffs which was a nice view/overlook of the nearby lake. Highly recommend as this has some really epic views.

We took our way up via Penobscot trail in a rainy day. It was the craziest thing I’ve ever done in my life. The rocks were so steep n slippery, there were iron rungs for you to hold onto but sometimes we just had to grip the ridge of those rocks to pass by. It was a lot challenging than Beehive n Precipce. Made it all the way up, hiked on the flat top of the mountain then took Spring trail to go back down. It was easier if you start from Spring trail then use Deer Brook to go back down. I would use the same way up if I could be back here.

beautiful views

What a hike! One of my favorites in the park! It was foggy at the summit so the view at the top was rather blocked but the way up and down was absolutely breathtaking. No traffic, calming sounds of water, beautiful staircases/bridges. 100% recommend, it's a challenge but worth it!

I hiked this with wife and my 8 and 10 yr old, starting at Jordan Pond, to the Spring Trail to Penobscot, taking to the summit then down to Jordan Pond via Deer Brook trail. 2.75 hrs total. The early ascents up the cliffs are challenging but the reward at the summit is well worth it!

Went up on a super foggy day and it was still worth it - challenging but not impossible. If you do go up in the fog, I would recommend wearing a raincoat. And don't forget tea and popovers at Jordan Pond House as a reward at the end!

We love this hike. Didn't find the southern trail so we took the "Spring Trail" to the top, quite difficult (some of our party turned back). See newest Acadia trail maps for actual trail. The route shown here includes the "Spring Trail" from the south. To the North tie into "Deer Brook" trail for a wonderful overall half day hike.