Peary Mountain

Peary Mountain is a 1.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Brownfield, Maine that features a great forest setting. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, cross country skiing, and snowshoeing.

This is an out-and-back hike to two peaks of Peary Mountain from which there are outstanding views within Maine as well as to the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

Sorry that the trail has been logged. I did it a couple of times last year 2016.

We have hiked this trail many times and it has always been great. We decided to hike again this Memorial Day weekend and we're unfortunately disappointed. They are logging in the area and the entire trail almost all the way up is ruined. We got lost a few times and had to cut through the woods to get back on the "trail" because it is almost unrecognizable due to the logging. There are big ruts from the trucks and mud and standing water everywhere. We almost turned around but knew how nice the view is at the top so decided to keep going. Normally I would say this is great trail for kids but not so much anymore. Definitely disappointed as this was one of our favorites in the area. Hopefully whatever they are doing will be to eventually fix the trail.

Nice views, easy hike. Great place to relax.

Trailhead not marked well & trail itself not too well marked but very easy if you take the right path. Great views!

I was looking for a short hike that was not hard to find. A little tricky to find the start of the hike. Sign in the parking lot across the street Just a tree farm sign and gate at the entrance so I guessed right that this was it. Easy hike thru logging road then snow machine trail then finally a sign on tree pointing to the last part of the hike. Flagged tree directs you to the summit. Excellent views. Best bang for a 30 minute one way hike I've ever been on. Going to bring a book and relax awhile next time.

Monday, February 29, 2016

The directions did not take me to the correct location. Its on farnsworth road. Trail is a bit hard to see when you first get there. Its on the opposite side of the road from where you park. I posted a picture of my car with the entrance to the right on the other side of the road. Once you find the trail it is well marked and a nice trail with a pretty view.

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Short, easy hike with beautiful views at the summit. Great for kids as well. Will definitely do again!

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Typo..parking lot is on the rt, trailhead is on the left...sorry.

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Nice hike, not overlong with good views, fairly easy incline. Parking lot is on Farnsworth Rd, on left just before Little Saco River...trail head on right about 50' from lot. After about a 1/2 mile or so (just guessing) look for a stone firepit & 2 makeshift stone benches on your right...youll want to take a left here. After taking the left, I took the immediate right (about 100' after turning left) up a fairly well defined foot trail...this took me up to the "south summit" which had the best views...which were outstanding. If youd prefer to save the best views until last, then instead of taking the immediate right that I did...proceed straight after turning left at the firepit/etc and take the 2nd right...(if you dont turn rt here ive been told its private property & they dont want you there.) In short time youll come to a fork, bear left to get to the relatively bland "main summit" with view of Mt Tom & the back of Pleasant Mountain...retrace your steps back to the fork but continue straight to the summit with the best views!

Tuesday, September 08, 2015

Marvelous hike! Plenty of views atop the summit.

Sunday, July 26, 2015

excellent views atop the open ledge summit, short walk to more views just beyond! easy accent, under an hour. small brook along the way. good for kids and dogs too.

Monday, December 29, 2014

Great hike for winter with gradual and steady incline. Once you get close to the peak the incline gets greater over open ledge. Wonderful view of Mt Washington from the summit. Several geocaches along the way with one of them at the top.

Saturday, August 17, 2013

This is a great climb for children. The views were amazing. This is one of my favorites for this area.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The views are fantastic! I will come back in the fall. The hike is short but great exercise. There was a ton of blueberries that I picked. They were all over the place on the way up and even a bunch on the summit.