Parkman Mountain Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(138)
Acadia National Park

Parkman Mountain Trail is a 2.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Mount Desert, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.2 miles Elevation Gain: 748 feet Route Type: Loop

Acadia National Park P.O. Box 177 Bar Harbor, ME 04609-0177 Phone: 207-288-3338 Shipping Address Acadia National Park 20 McFarland Hill Drive Bar Harbor ME 04609-0177 More information: http://www.nps.gov/acad/contacts.htm

icy

We got as far as the rung on Parkman. There was so much ice under and around it that I couldn't safely continue without an ice axe so we turned around, took the carriage road to the Bald trail and went up that. Patchy melting ice and more bouldering than I expected so a nice challenge. Beautiful views and lots of granite.

Some scrambling near the top but nothing too difficult. Wonderful views from top. Took Great Slide trail down to lengthen the hike which was a lovely hike through woods, along brook and met with with Carriage Rd for final descent. Lovely hike! Took ~2 hrs but we added on some distance.

Very glad I decided to check this out. The hike up was worth it, although I wish I had taken other connecting trails. Next time. I did not stay for the sunset this time, but with that shorter trail on the way down, I will definitely stay longer.

Watched the beautiful sunset! We were able to reach the top within 35 minutes (1.2 miles) going at a pretty brisk pace. I would plan to leave & start hiking 45-60 mins before the sunset if you want to be sure you catch it.

Can't believe we hadn't hiked this loop before. Now one of our favorites!

We hiked up Parkman, over to Bald, and down the Bald Trail to the Carriage roads. If you’re at the Parkman parking lot take a right on the carriage road after the outhouse and follow the road up, bearing left, until you connect with the Parkman trail head on the left. I have an older dog who is a seasoned hiker. I had to lift or push him in several spots on the way up. I also let him loose a few times to free solo (scoot along at his on pace without me holding the leash). If your dog is nervous or unaccustomed to rock climbs, take your time. On the way off Parkman’s summit to Bald, one down section took some negotiating. I don’t mean to frighten you, but just be aware of the pushing, hoisting, and lifting involved with some dogs. Fun quick hike. Good views. Enjoy.

recorded Parkman Mountain Trail

we tried doing the loop counter clockwise. There are a number of trails in the area, so it can be tough to stay on track. Ended up going around Bald instead of over, but still a cool hike. Views on the top were knock your socks off

We enjoyed this trail. It was handy to have the trail cross the cinder carriage roads. Our only issue was leaving the summit. Directions for the Parkman loop were not very evident and we ended up on a different trail. Thankful for the carriage road that returned us to our car. All in all it was a great hike. Some areas were s not more challenging when climbing the rocks.

Moderate and quick hike with rewarding views. We took the suggestion of going the loop counter-clockwise and that is definitely the way to do it. Great for our 3 y/o cattle dog. Would definitely recommend.

Great quick hike to Bald peak and a jump over to Parkman. Loop trails are the only way to go

There are so many great views on this hike! It’s a relatively short hike but you get to enjoy two summits. The best part is that the trip between summits isn’t long (you don’t have to go way down an then way up again). We also enjoyed how quiet and peaceful this hike was. We visited in July and only encountered a few other hikers along the way.

Loved this trail. Bald Peak was much less crowded than Parkman, but hard on the knees (!) coming down off Bald. A great double peak hike, it was our first of the vacation and was a good “warmup” for some of the bigger mountains.

We started on Hadlock Trail to see the falls, went up the Giant Slide Trail, (not well marked by this app got us through this reallt cool trail), then climbed up to Parkman Mtn. LOVED it!! The view was amazing!! My 10-year-old wants to go back soon!

We followed advice from other reviewers and did this loop counter-clockwise. This turned out to be a good suggestion since the Bald Mtn Trail requires a lot more rock climbing. Ascending the rocks is easier than descending, especially when the rocks are wet with rain. Unfortunately we didn’t get to see the views as both summits were socked in with fog. We descended Parkman Mtn Trail and were somewhat confused by the carriage roads. We knew we had walked up a carriage road a short distance from the parking lot to the trailhead but, coming back down the Parkman, we ran in carriage roads several times and we had difficulties knowing when we were at the right carriage road. The AllTrails map helped us realize our mistakes.

Sun May 05 2019

hiked this trail last summer with wife and kids(3,6). My 6 year old is kind of awesome so she led the way while I carried my 3 year old in my carrier and wife carried lunch and beverages. It was not crowded but there were people on the trail, some light scrambling, and great views at the top. Did some kayaking on Echo lake after that. It was a great day.

Wed Mar 27 2019

Great views at the top. Encountered a few ice flows but were able to work around the huge ones.

Fri Sep 21 2018

Would rate this as a hard but amazing trail. Wonderful views most of the way. Would recommend coming off the peak to the left to avoid very steep area. Following the carriage trail to left when you come to it and then picking up the trail again.

Fri Aug 31 2018

It was relatively easy going up - and not too difficult going down, but there were long stretches of steep downhill hiking... it was the first time I had nail bed damage on my big toe from the pressure caused by the slope. We went clockwise around the loop. Next time I might try counter-clockwise. The view was great at the summit - you can see the ocean in one direction, the airport in the other direction. We could even see our campground on the other side of Somme Sound.

Thu Aug 23 2018

A longtime favorite

Wed Jul 11 2018

Did this hike with my two nephews (7 and 10 years old). We walked along a carriage trail for a bit but then once we got to the trail, it was great. Definitely a family-friendly hike with amazing views from the top!

Tue Jun 26 2018

Great place for an afternoon hike in Acadia. Didn't see a soul while we were out and made for a very peaceful journey. Nice place to connect to Bald Peak or another trail if you're up for it.

Thu Oct 26 2017

Some of the most beautiful views I've ever seen!

Mon Sep 04 2017