EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Old Speck Mountain Trail

Old Speck Mountain Trail is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Newry, Maine that features a waterfall. The trail is only recommended for very experienced adventurers and is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and snowshoeing. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Just east of the New Hampshire border this is Maine's 3rd highest peak. This is an easy mountain as it is only 4 miles from a main highway through Grafton Notch. It is part of the Mahoosuc Range. You'll want the crampons as the trail is very steep in places and gets icy. There is an old firetower on top that may or may not be accessible to climb.

Done this twice. Each time in the winter. Very hard but perfect for a day hike. 2:15 up and 1:45 back. Skipped the eyebrow trail each time which is now a regret. Micro spikes were necessary.

Killer winter Hike. Most definitely will be going back to do more hiking there! I highly suggest this hike to anyone looking for a solid day hike with great views at the top!

Enjoy!

Andrew V

Great hike up to enjoy the fall colors. Went up eye brow and down the AT, eyebrow wasn’t a must do and wouldn’t be a good trail to descend. Clear day up top on the fire tower, views were stellar- snow on top made it even better. Took longer than expected due to icy conditions but beautiful hike, another great 4ker.

Solo hike on 9/6. Went up the eyebrow trail to Appalacian and the to firetower on summit. Returned via Appalachian trail to parking lot. Would not want to descend on the eyebrow trail if trail is wet. Had a great time even though I got drenched. Only met 6 folks, all solo. Two were thru hikers.

This is a great hike but people need to be aware that this is not a 6.6 miles, nor is the description above accurate when it says its an easy mountain (this seems to relate to finding the trail). As people note, its more like 3.8 in (so closer to 8 total), and a fairly challenging hike, though the trail is well maintained. Top is not totally clear, which is disappointing, but there are nice views on the way up, and from the fire tower at the top (if you are ready to climb a 40 foot ladder). As many note, if you can handle a steep initial climb its nice to do the eyebrow trail up, and the AT down. Some good views on the last part of the eyebrow trail. Overall a nice hike! Maybe not my favorite ever, but nice.

more like 7.6 miles as the signage says 3.8 from trailhead. hike was challenging but overall i’d say just OK as far as payoff for level of effort. the 360 views are great but this was not my favorite trail. only a few views on the way up otherwise you’re covered in the trees

great hike! we did the eyebrow up and the at down. challenging enough without being a killer. views were ebautiful in several spots, and the view was incredible from the fire tower.

This is a nice trail right on the Maine/New Hampshire border, it gains a fair amount of elevation over a short distance, so it is a decent workout. The view from the tower is great, and there are several spots along the way up with very nice views. I enjoyed being able to see the White Mountains at the same time as Maine's western peaks.

Challenging and fun trail - I did the Eyebrow Trail up and the AT Down. I did this trail years ago when it was foggy. I still loved the fun trail features like the steel cable and ladder rungs that are necessary when the trail is wet. I hiked this July 4 with my dog. There were only a couple spots that I had to help my golden retriever up, but the rest was easily done by her. I definitely would NOT recommend going down the Eyebrow trail as other have said, especially with a dog. The views from the fire tower give you a great 360 of the mountains! I was so glad my hike this time was clear. It was well worth the effort to see the amazing view! Screw Auger Falls a few miles from the parking lot on RT 26 is a great post-hike stop to walk in the stream and cool off!

I am out of shape but made it to the top and it was worth the view. Bring plenty of water and maybe some snacks for the top.

Very, very beautiful

Challenging trail with beautiful views! Couldn't imagine doing this trail and not going up the Fire tower. Breathtaking views!

Did a winter hike yesterday before the big nor'eastern came in today. I started at the parking area for old speck/eyebrow and Appalachian trails which is labeled hiking trail parking on the west side of Maine Route 26. Took the Appalachian trail for 3.5 miles, then came to Old Speck trail on the left and followed that .3 miles to summit. (I logged 7.6 miles...not sure why 6.6 miles is listed above) Hike can be steep at times (specially with over a foot of snow) crampons are a must. Some decent over looks during the first section of the hike. Summiting took about 2 hours in the snow. Not great views because the storm had made its way in, however the trees were gorgeous covered in snow.

Check out and follow Instagram.com/gregszymbor for photos and other hikes!

Thursday, September 21, 2017

I loved it! The whole trail was actually 7.6 miles round trip. Very mossy woods all the way up which was absolutely beautiful. Took us 3 hours to get to the summit. The Old Speck Trail we took was dog friendly with great cooling spots. Starts out steep at first so you get a good cardio in. At the top, I highly recommend you go up the fire tower to get THE best 360* view of Mahoosuc Range. We hiked 7.6 miles in about 7 hours, including an hour at the top. Lots of other things to see around that area as well if you're there for a couple days or a few hours.

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Beautiful and somewhat challenging!

Monday, July 31, 2017

Great Hike with various environments including water falls, rock falls, and trees. Enjoyed the lookout tower but held onto ladder with white knuckles while going up and down.

Monday, July 17, 2017

The main trail is closer to 7 miles, not 4 or 6, as the description says. It is also not EASY, but it is a relatively short hike compared to other summits. For perspective, I just did a Presidential Traverse the day before. I was moving very quickly on this trail due to an approaching storm, and I was able to complete it in 2hrs50min. Close to the White Mountains, but a different feel. Hemlock trees make for more exposed roots, moss groundcover, and dark green landscape. There is a stream adjacent to the first half of the trail with little waterfall sections. Good for letting my dog cool her feet and legs off.

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Took the Eyebrow trail up. Moderate usage on the main trail. Overall, good trail conditions and nice view from the tower on top.

Friday, October 21, 2016

Took eyebrow up, up to the peak, on the fire tower than down the AT. I hike a lot and thought the eyebrow was a bit of a challenge. I would recommend NOT taking dogs up the eyebrow, it's steep and lots of ladder rungs. But dogs can do great going up the AT trail. It was below freezing at the top and I did it mid October. Any later in year would require warm gear. Took me 2 hours up and 2 hours down. (But I am a pretty quick hiker) awesome view from the fire tower. An awesome 4K footer!

Sunday, October 16, 2016

took eyebrow up and the AT down. found this to be a perfect 4000' hike. lots of variety and a great mix of terrain. we had a perfect day with almost no wind, full foliage and bright sunshine. The tower was very good for 360 views. only saw a few other hikers. found the at section coming down, very steep. I recommend the eyebrow trail going up. Easier, and some really neat things including cables and rungs in the steeper sections. great trail conditions. highly recommend this hike. I have finally realized that there are no easy hikes up a 4k mountain. Always harder than I think it will be, but always well worth the effort.

Monday, October 10, 2016

We did the Eyebrow trail, 2.4 miles in and back. Steep trail...not much relief. But it's a great hike if you're looking for a quick hike with a view!

Monday, September 19, 2016

Did the Eyebrow Trail up, AT back down. Eyebrow is steep with ladders and ropes required at some spots - very well maintained when I went. Awesome views all the way up, thick boreal sub alpine forests from about 2900' up to the summit. Not much trail traffic. First of my Maine 4000'ers, third of the NE 67.

Friday, August 19, 2016

Great hike! Bummed we did it on a cloudy day, the views would have been amazing on a sunny day. It was great to chat with the Appalachian Trail hikers we met along the way, though! Lots of interesting stories.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

I was surprised how challenging this hike was, I took the eyebrow trail up which is a little bit longer. I recommend bringing bug spray because it was awful today. It's a pretty steady climb up for about 4 miles. Once at the top there is a watchtower to get a much better view. First hike by myself took me about 3 and a half hours.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Great hike. Challenging but the views are definitely worth the sweat. Look out for poison sumac. It's not friendly!

Sunday, May 22, 2016

We enjoyed our hike up Old Speck this weekend and it was very beautiful on the way up. took us about 7 hours up and down. Always filled with nice scenery changing from rocky little water ways to small green trees to ice covering some of the path but the view is all worth it at the top with a large welded fire tower structure to climb with beautiful views of Sunday River, the Whites, Berlin, and Lake Umbagog.

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Just hiked this trail and it's a ways filled with nice scenery changing from rocky little water ways to small green trees to ice covering some of the path but the view is all worth it at the top with a large welded structure to climb

Monday, February 29, 2016

Very beautiful on the way up. took me about 7 hours. well marked. Was a bit surprised at the top there is not a view due to trees unless you climb this tower. It was too icy this time of year to do that but it was still a fun hike. will

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

It was a beautiful trail along the AT. Well maintained, great views.