EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Old Speck Mountain Trail

Old Speck Mountain Trail is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Newry, Maine that features a waterfall. The trail is only recommended for very experienced adventurers and is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and snowshoeing. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.6 miles Elevation Gain: 2,847 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Just east of the New Hampshire border this is Maine's 3rd highest peak. This is an easy mountain as it is only 4 miles from a main highway through Grafton Notch. It is part of the Mahoosuc Range. You'll want the crampons as the trail is very steep in places and gets icy. There is an old firetower on top that may or may not be accessible to climb.

absolutely fabulous. this trail is consistantly up. a few valleys aside it's a blood pumper. my son and I reached the summit by noon. and relaxed and watched the gray Jays hop around in the scrub trees. awesome descent down the AT. thank you maine.

Really great hike with a wonderful 360 degree view from the lookout at the summit. Went up the eyebrow trail and down the AT trail this morning and there were a few muddy patches but no snow or ice. Definitely a few slippery rocks but nothing too risky.

If you use the Eyebrow Trail, hike up NOT down. Too dangerous to go down when you get to the rungs and ladders, especially with the rain and snow melt. The AT was muddy. Within the last mile before the summit there was still a decent amount of snow on the trail. 360 views from the tower were breathtaking. Grey jays were at the top!

Great hike. Did the AT side up, with my wife and two kids (7&9). We started at 10:40am and made it to the fire tower in 3hrs 20 mins. Stayed at the summit for about 20 mins and made our way down. Took about 3hrs and 30 mins down. So plan accordingly of doing with family. Came down the AT side as well. We did eyebrow loop the day before and didn’t want to do that coming down. Was a lot of fun. Got some snow during the last 45 mins or so to summit. Needed spikes.

First time on the mountain. Hiked via AT, will try the Eyebrow next time. Average wet and muddy spring hike until 2,800ft (as of 5/15/19) where conditions became compatible for snow, which gradually built up to >3ft deep. At 3,200ft+ snowshoes are a necessity. I ran out of daylight to safely reach the summit and descend before dark. With the slippery conditions (and being alone), it was not wise for me to continue. I turned back at 3,600ft. Excited to return in June for the summit!

Started off on the Eyebrow Trail which is steep and a bit challenging with cords, rungs, and ladders. No snow until you meet up onto the Appalachian Trail going up to Old Speck. This time of year it is muddy, slippery, wet, and snowy. About 3 feet of snow. Highly recommend spikes and/or poles. Beautiful view though!

Done this twice. Each time in the winter. Very hard but perfect for a day hike. 2:15 up and 1:45 back. Skipped the eyebrow trail each time which is now a regret. Micro spikes were necessary.

Great hike up to enjoy the fall colors. Went up eye brow and down the AT, eyebrow wasn’t a must do and wouldn’t be a good trail to descend. Clear day up top on the fire tower, views were stellar- snow on top made it even better. Took longer than expected due to icy conditions but beautiful hike, another great 4ker.

Solo hike on 9/6. Went up the eyebrow trail to Appalacian and the to firetower on summit. Returned via Appalachian trail to parking lot. Would not want to descend on the eyebrow trail if trail is wet. Had a great time even though I got drenched. Only met 6 folks, all solo. Two were thru hikers.

This is a great hike but people need to be aware that this is not a 6.6 miles, nor is the description above accurate when it says its an easy mountain (this seems to relate to finding the trail). As people note, its more like 3.8 in (so closer to 8 total), and a fairly challenging hike, though the trail is well maintained. Top is not totally clear, which is disappointing, but there are nice views on the way up, and from the fire tower at the top (if you are ready to climb a 40 foot ladder). As many note, if you can handle a steep initial climb its nice to do the eyebrow trail up, and the AT down. Some good views on the last part of the eyebrow trail. Overall a nice hike! Maybe not my favorite ever, but nice.

more like 7.6 miles as the signage says 3.8 from trailhead. hike was challenging but overall i’d say just OK as far as payoff for level of effort. the 360 views are great but this was not my favorite trail. only a few views on the way up otherwise you’re covered in the trees

great hike! we did the eyebrow up and the at down. challenging enough without being a killer. views were ebautiful in several spots, and the view was incredible from the fire tower.

This is a nice trail right on the Maine/New Hampshire border, it gains a fair amount of elevation over a short distance, so it is a decent workout. The view from the tower is great, and there are several spots along the way up with very nice views. I enjoyed being able to see the White Mountains at the same time as Maine's western peaks.

Challenging and fun trail - I did the Eyebrow Trail up and the AT Down. I did this trail years ago when it was foggy. I still loved the fun trail features like the steel cable and ladder rungs that are necessary when the trail is wet. I hiked this July 4 with my dog. There were only a couple spots that I had to help my golden retriever up, but the rest was easily done by her. I definitely would NOT recommend going down the Eyebrow trail as other have said, especially with a dog. The views from the fire tower give you a great 360 of the mountains! I was so glad my hike this time was clear. It was well worth the effort to see the amazing view! Screw Auger Falls a few miles from the parking lot on RT 26 is a great post-hike stop to walk in the stream and cool off!

I am out of shape but made it to the top and it was worth the view. Bring plenty of water and maybe some snacks for the top.

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Very, very beautiful

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Challenging trail with beautiful views! Couldn't imagine doing this trail and not going up the Fire tower. Breathtaking views!

Thursday, March 08, 2018

Did a winter hike yesterday before the big nor'eastern came in today. I started at the parking area for old speck/eyebrow and Appalachian trails which is labeled hiking trail parking on the west side of Maine Route 26. Took the Appalachian trail for 3.5 miles, then came to Old Speck trail on the left and followed that .3 miles to summit. (I logged 7.6 miles...not sure why 6.6 miles is listed above) Hike can be steep at times (specially with over a foot of snow) crampons are a must. Some decent over looks during the first section of the hike. Summiting took about 2 hours in the snow. Not great views because the storm had made its way in, however the trees were gorgeous covered in snow. Check out and follow Instagram.com/gregszymbor for photos and other hikes!

Thursday, September 21, 2017

I loved it! The whole trail was actually 7.6 miles round trip. Very mossy woods all the way up which was absolutely beautiful. Took us 3 hours to get to the summit. The Old Speck Trail we took was dog friendly with great cooling spots. Starts out steep at first so you get a good cardio in. At the top, I highly recommend you go up the fire tower to get THE best 360* view of Mahoosuc Range. We hiked 7.6 miles in about 7 hours, including an hour at the top. Lots of other things to see around that area as well if you're there for a couple days or a few hours.

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Beautiful and somewhat challenging!

Monday, July 31, 2017

Great Hike with various environments including water falls, rock falls, and trees. Enjoyed the lookout tower but held onto ladder with white knuckles while going up and down.

Monday, July 17, 2017

The main trail is closer to 7 miles, not 4 or 6, as the description says. It is also not EASY, but it is a relatively short hike compared to other summits. For perspective, I just did a Presidential Traverse the day before. I was moving very quickly on this trail due to an approaching storm, and I was able to complete it in 2hrs50min. Close to the White Mountains, but a different feel. Hemlock trees make for more exposed roots, moss groundcover, and dark green landscape. There is a stream adjacent to the first half of the trail with little waterfall sections. Good for letting my dog cool her feet and legs off.

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Took the Eyebrow trail up. Moderate usage on the main trail. Overall, good trail conditions and nice view from the tower on top.

Friday, October 21, 2016

Took eyebrow up, up to the peak, on the fire tower than down the AT. I hike a lot and thought the eyebrow was a bit of a challenge. I would recommend NOT taking dogs up the eyebrow, it's steep and lots of ladder rungs. But dogs can do great going up the AT trail. It was below freezing at the top and I did it mid October. Any later in year would require warm gear. Took me 2 hours up and 2 hours down. (But I am a pretty quick hiker) awesome view from the fire tower. An awesome 4K footer!

Sunday, October 16, 2016

took eyebrow up and the AT down. found this to be a perfect 4000' hike. lots of variety and a great mix of terrain. we had a perfect day with almost no wind, full foliage and bright sunshine. The tower was very good for 360 views. only saw a few other hikers. found the at section coming down, very steep. I recommend the eyebrow trail going up. Easier, and some really neat things including cables and rungs in the steeper sections. great trail conditions. highly recommend this hike. I have finally realized that there are no easy hikes up a 4k mountain. Always harder than I think it will be, but always well worth the effort.

Monday, October 10, 2016

We did the Eyebrow trail, 2.4 miles in and back. Steep trail...not much relief. But it's a great hike if you're looking for a quick hike with a view!

Monday, September 19, 2016

Did the Eyebrow Trail up, AT back down. Eyebrow is steep with ladders and ropes required at some spots - very well maintained when I went. Awesome views all the way up, thick boreal sub alpine forests from about 2900' up to the summit. Not much trail traffic. First of my Maine 4000'ers, third of the NE 67.

Friday, August 19, 2016

Great hike! Bummed we did it on a cloudy day, the views would have been amazing on a sunny day. It was great to chat with the Appalachian Trail hikers we met along the way, though! Lots of interesting stories.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

I was surprised how challenging this hike was, I took the eyebrow trail up which is a little bit longer. I recommend bringing bug spray because it was awful today. It's a pretty steady climb up for about 4 miles. Once at the top there is a watchtower to get a much better view. First hike by myself took me about 3 and a half hours.