Old Speck Mountain Trail

Old Speck Mountain Trail is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Newry, Maine that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Just east of the New Hampshire border this is Maine's 3rd highest peak. This is an easy mountain as it is only 4 miles from a main highway through Grafton Notch. It is part of the Mahoosuc Range. You'll want the crampons as the trail is very steep in places and gets icy. There is an old firetower on top that may or may not be accessible to climb.

Took eyebrow up, up to the peak, on the fire tower than down the AT. I hike a lot and thought the eyebrow was a bit of a challenge. I would recommend NOT taking dogs up the eyebrow, it's steep and lots of ladder rungs. But dogs can do great going up the AT trail. It was below freezing at the top and I did it mid October. Any later in year would require warm gear. Took me 2 hours up and 2 hours down. (But I am a pretty quick hiker) awesome view from the fire tower. An awesome 4K footer!

took eyebrow up and the AT down. found this to be a perfect 4000' hike. lots of variety and a great mix of terrain. we had a perfect day with almost no wind, full foliage and bright sunshine. The tower was very good for 360 views. only saw a few other hikers. found the at section coming down, very steep. I recommend the eyebrow trail going up. Easier, and some really neat things including cables and rungs in the steeper sections. great trail conditions. highly recommend this hike. I have finally realized that there are no easy hikes up a 4k mountain. Always harder than I think it will be, but always well worth the effort.

We did the Eyebrow trail, 2.4 miles in and back. Steep trail...not much relief. But it's a great hike if you're looking for a quick hike with a view!

Did the Eyebrow Trail up, AT back down. Eyebrow is steep with ladders and ropes required at some spots - very well maintained when I went. Awesome views all the way up, thick boreal sub alpine forests from about 2900' up to the summit. Not much trail traffic. First of my Maine 4000'ers, third of the NE 67.

Great hike! Bummed we did it on a cloudy day, the views would have been amazing on a sunny day. It was great to chat with the Appalachian Trail hikers we met along the way, though! Lots of interesting stories.

I was surprised how challenging this hike was, I took the eyebrow trail up which is a little bit longer. I recommend bringing bug spray because it was awful today. It's a pretty steady climb up for about 4 miles. Once at the top there is a watchtower to get a much better view. First hike by myself took me about 3 and a half hours.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Great hike. Challenging but the views are definitely worth the sweat. Look out for poison sumac. It's not friendly!

Sunday, May 22, 2016

We enjoyed our hike up Old Speck this weekend and it was very beautiful on the way up. took us about 7 hours up and down. Always filled with nice scenery changing from rocky little water ways to small green trees to ice covering some of the path but the view is all worth it at the top with a large welded fire tower structure to climb with beautiful views of Sunday River, the Whites, Berlin, and Lake Umbagog.