Old Speck Mountain Trail

Old Speck Mountain Trail is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Newry, Maine that features a great forest setting. The trail is only recommended for very experienced adventurers and primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Just east of the New Hampshire border this is Maine's 3rd highest peak. This is an easy mountain as it is only 4 miles from a main highway through Grafton Notch. It is part of the Mahoosuc Range. You'll want the crampons as the trail is very steep in places and gets icy. There is an old firetower on top that may or may not be accessible to climb.

I loved it! The whole trail was actually 7.6 miles round trip. Very mossy woods all the way up which was absolutely beautiful. Took us 3 hours to get to the summit. The Old Speck Trail we took was dog friendly with great cooling spots. Starts out steep at first so you get a good cardio in. At the top, I highly recommend you go up the fire tower to get THE best 360* view of Mahoosuc Range. We hiked 7.6 miles in about 7 hours, including an hour at the top. Lots of other things to see around that area as well if you're there for a couple days or a few hours.

Beautiful and somewhat challenging!

Great Hike with various environments including water falls, rock falls, and trees. Enjoyed the lookout tower but held onto ladder with white knuckles while going up and down.

The main trail is closer to 7 miles, not 4 or 6, as the description says. It is also not EASY, but it is a relatively short hike compared to other summits. For perspective, I just did a Presidential Traverse the day before. I was moving very quickly on this trail due to an approaching storm, and I was able to complete it in 2hrs50min. Close to the White Mountains, but a different feel. Hemlock trees make for more exposed roots, moss groundcover, and dark green landscape. There is a stream adjacent to the first half of the trail with little waterfall sections. Good for letting my dog cool her feet and legs off.

Took the Eyebrow trail up. Moderate usage on the main trail. Overall, good trail conditions and nice view from the tower on top.

Took eyebrow up, up to the peak, on the fire tower than down the AT. I hike a lot and thought the eyebrow was a bit of a challenge. I would recommend NOT taking dogs up the eyebrow, it's steep and lots of ladder rungs. But dogs can do great going up the AT trail. It was below freezing at the top and I did it mid October. Any later in year would require warm gear. Took me 2 hours up and 2 hours down. (But I am a pretty quick hiker) awesome view from the fire tower. An awesome 4K footer!

Sunday, October 16, 2016

took eyebrow up and the AT down. found this to be a perfect 4000' hike. lots of variety and a great mix of terrain. we had a perfect day with almost no wind, full foliage and bright sunshine. The tower was very good for 360 views. only saw a few other hikers. found the at section coming down, very steep. I recommend the eyebrow trail going up. Easier, and some really neat things including cables and rungs in the steeper sections. great trail conditions. highly recommend this hike. I have finally realized that there are no easy hikes up a 4k mountain. Always harder than I think it will be, but always well worth the effort.

Monday, October 10, 2016

We did the Eyebrow trail, 2.4 miles in and back. Steep trail...not much relief. But it's a great hike if you're looking for a quick hike with a view!