North and South Peaks Loop

North and South Peaks Loop is a 2.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Presque Isle, Maine that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This was a great hike for us and the dog, it provides great views of The County. We went up the North Peak trail first, across the Ridge trail to the South Peak then went down using the Notch trail as an easier alternative to get back to the truck. All the trails were marked really well, the only time we struggled was when we got off the Notch trail we had to walk through the campground pretty much on our own to find the parking lot. When we got back to the parking lot we were able to take the dog swimming in Echo Lake to cool down.

Great hike with beautiful views. There are a few different trails ranging in difficulty. South Peak Trail offers some great elevation and a little rock climbing which is fun. Notch Trail is beautiful...less strenuous...lots of rock steps. The trail to North Peak is steep and not great footing. Ridge Trail which connects North and South Peak is a nice hike and not too strenuous. All trails are marked really well. I return often!!

I loved this trail! Beautiful views with camping along the ridge and at the south peak. South peak trail is very steep.

only about 3 miles but beautiful views from peaks

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

This was a great hike with some incredible views. There is two different ways to get to the peaks. One is called the Notch Trail, it is a gentle and gradual climb to the Ridge Trail. I took the South Peak Trail up. I have a German Shepherd and he did very well but that being said this is a very steep trail. There are several areas where you are climbing. It is relatively easy if you have had experience with it. The views are amazing at both peaks. There is a cell tower by the south peak. The Ridge Trail is between the South and North Peak trails. The North Peak trail is where I went back through. This trail is also steep but fairly easy to navigate with experience on those types of trails. It mellows out as you come down. Overall it was a fantastic hike with wonderful views. The dog loved it. I would recommend only bringing a dog up the South Peak if it has gone on hikes like this before.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Nice lake. Trail is well-marked. While it has some significant elevations initially, it branches into options for even more stringent elevation or relatively easy passage. My Mastiff is elderly, so at the split we chose the easier trail. Very pleasant. Take bug repellent.

Monday, November 16, 2015

Great trail! Scenic views, beautiful.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014