Mount Megunticook Trail

Mount Megunticook Trail is a 2.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Camden, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The moderate to strenuous Mount Megunticook Trail provides the most direct route to Camden State Park's best views, gaining nearly 1,000 vertical feet. From ledges at Ocean Lookout you can see the summit of Mount Battie, the town of Camden, and Penobscot Bay from Acadia to Monhegan Island, including Vinalhaven, Isleboro, Deer Isle and Acadia. On a clear day, you can see Mount Washington far off to the west.

One of my favorites.

There was only one trail sign to Mount Megunticook and that was at the beginning. We thougth we were on the wrong trail because when we followed it we were no where near the All Trails location. Turned back to check signs and there was no mention of Mount Megunticook at the last signage. We continued on and the summit is actually the X with an elevation of 1312. There is no view but if you go about another half mile there is a gorgeous lookout over the harbor. Trail was mostly in the woods with a few outlooks.

Great day. Great hike!

The effort to views ratio is quite favorable here.
Somewhat crowded on the trail itself, but there are so many exposed ledges up top that you're sure to find a place of your own to relax and enjoy the views.

Absolutely gorgeous. But I wouldn't have rated it easy. Easy to moderate. Couple of really steep spots but gorgeous!!

Great hike! Walked there from the campground where I was staying. Definitely more of a moderate hike; there were some very steep sections. The only thing that I would caution people about is that *all* of the trails are marked with a blue blaze. Due to that, I wound up taking the wrong trail down, and had to hike it back on the road for about a mile, which was frustrating. But besides that, the views are gorgeous! And the hike itself is great. Good luck finding the right trail back.....

Just went camping with my dog. Decided to spend the day hiking. We hiked from the campground up ocean lookout. Continued on to maiden cliff, did a loop and continues back via jack Williams trail. Down through Adams lookout and back to the camp ground. Great day. Met a lot of dogs and people. The jack Williams trail was nice. No people and forested. Easy hike all around.

Nice hike up. There was fog when we got to the lookouts, but it was still a fun hike. I'd rate this more at moderate than easy since some of the climbs are fairly steep and there was some slippery rock manuvering.

Gorgeous trail. Very rocky and almost lost the blue markers on the way down. Not sure why this is rated easy...I'd put it as a moderate skill level. Def got the heart rate up and I was a little banged up not using poles on the way down. Lots of beautiful streams and great views of lake and ocean if you do the full trail.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Perfect length hike in my opinion! Not too hard but definitely makes you sweat. Beautiful view.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Excellent hike for most abilities, nice steady incline. Well marked. Some hikers looking for bigger challenge use this to trail run. Amazing views. Well travelled.

Friday, September 02, 2016

Not many wildflowers. Not sure where that hiker wondered, but nice fern covered, mature forests.

Friday, August 26, 2016

great hike!

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Great hike with amazing views overlooking the ocean and town of Camden. Rocky portions of the trail with some level switch backs up the descent. I recommend hiking poles if you are a beginner hiker.

Monday, August 08, 2016

Little steep but the payoff is well worth it

Thursday, August 04, 2016

Great hike with amaing views to Megunticook Lake and the Maine coast

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

great views

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Great view

Friday, June 03, 2016

such a nice hike. all of Camden hills is awesome. we cut off trail and found so much cool stuff. we brought my 14 year old niece and she loved it.