Mount Kineo

Mount Kineo is a 3.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Kineo, Maine that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until February. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Exciting cliffs on island surrounded by expansive lake A wonderful hike combining mountain vistas with a lake backdrop. Starts flat along an old road under the flint cliffs. Flint can be gathered here. Indian trail ascends along edge of cliff and provides stellar views and strong heart beats. The only view available from the summit is atop a very tall fire tower. It has stairs but they are metal slats. Those afraid of heights should avoid this hike.

If you go up on Indian Trail, be prepared for it's high level of steepness. But it's worth it! Be sure to climb the fire tower for the best view. Going down the Bridle Trail is much easier, steep-wise, but a longer distance. One of my favorite hikes!

One of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

This is my favorite hike in the area! There is also a trail that goes around the island, the carriage trail. Also, check out the clubhouse for a beverage or snack after your hike!

awsome views from the lookout tower. easy hike up and down with some good views of peninsula from some cliffs along climb.

It was a great hike, we did Indian Trail up and Bridle Trail down. Great views if you climb the fire tower at the top. Our three kids (9, 11, & 12) had no problem getting to the summit, it was just the right level of challenge for them.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Monday, July 04, 2016

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Saturday, August 15, 2015

The beginning of the trail has plenty of places to stop and dip your toes in the lake before the accent up the cliffs. There are some fun, challenging spots and some beautiful views on your way up. Once the trail leaves the cliffs it looses it's mojo and reverts to being in a creek bed, which is never good for erosion. No view from the top, unless you climb the firetower and if you muster the nerve.... it is quite worth it. 360 degrees of awesomeness! If you take the loop down it stays in the creek bed almost all the way, which can be a bit muddy. If I did it again, I would take the cliffs back down.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Thursday, September 18, 2014

I've done this hike a few times throughout my visits to the area. As a child we always took the bridal trail up and occasionally the little used North Trail down. This year (2014) my husband and I took the Indian trail up and bridal down. Indian trail is quite difficult at times, close to the cliff edges you see in many photos of the mountain. It also provides many rewarding views for each strenuous stretch. A hike I'd happily do again and again!

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Great place to hike. We went up the Indian Trail first which was a little more difficult. But we all made it to the Watch Tower at the top of the mountain. Great views!

Monday, July 21, 2014