Mount Kineo

Mount Kineo is a 3.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Kineo, Maine that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until February. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Exciting cliffs on island surrounded by expansive lake A wonderful hike combining mountain vistas with a lake backdrop. Starts flat along an old road under the flint cliffs. Flint can be gathered here. Indian trail ascends along edge of cliff and provides stellar views and strong heart beats. The only view available from the summit is atop a very tall fire tower. It has stairs but they are metal slats. Those afraid of heights should avoid this hike.

This is my favorite hike in the area! There is also a trail that goes around the island, the carriage trail. Also, check out the clubhouse for a beverage or snack after your hike!

awsome views from the lookout tower. easy hike up and down with some good views of peninsula from some cliffs along climb.

It was a great hike, we did Indian Trail up and Bridle Trail down. Great views if you climb the fire tower at the top. Our three kids (9, 11, & 12) had no problem getting to the summit, it was just the right level of challenge for them.

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Saturday, August 15, 2015

The beginning of the trail has plenty of places to stop and dip your toes in the lake before the accent up the cliffs. There are some fun, challenging spots and some beautiful views on your way up. Once the trail leaves the cliffs it looses it's mojo and reverts to being in a creek bed, which is never good for erosion. No view from the top, unless you climb the firetower and if you muster the nerve.... it is quite worth it. 360 degrees of awesomeness! If you take the loop down it stays in the creek bed almost all the way, which can be a bit muddy. If I did it again, I would take the cliffs back down.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Thursday, September 18, 2014

I've done this hike a few times throughout my visits to the area. As a child we always took the bridal trail up and occasionally the little used North Trail down. This year (2014) my husband and I took the Indian trail up and bridal down. Indian trail is quite difficult at times, close to the cliff edges you see in many photos of the mountain. It also provides many rewarding views for each strenuous stretch. A hike I'd happily do again and again!

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Great place to hike. We went up the Indian Trail first which was a little more difficult. But we all made it to the Watch Tower at the top of the mountain. Great views!

Monday, July 21, 2014

Friday, September 06, 2013

Took the Indian trail up. Strenuous, hands and feet climbing at times but well worth the view and plenty of places to stop, rest and look out over the lake. Took my group about 2 hours to get up with a few 5 minute breaks. Took the Bridle trail down. Really fast. Only took about 20 minutes but no view.

Monday, July 15, 2013

Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Great experience! We took the "Bridal Trail" up and down because my wife has fear of heights and it was great with just the right amount of challenge. I climbed the fire tower for a great panoramic view of surrounding lakes and mountains. We went back down to the intersection of the "Bridal Trail" and "Indian Trail" where we followed the Indian Trail only a few yards to a beautiful open area that had a beautiful view of Moosehead Lake. We stopped had had lunch. It was great!

Tuesday, September 06, 2011

a little steep, no more than an hr or so up depends how long you stop to look around we took the "Bridal Trail" to the top and climbed the fire tower! We unfortunately got caught in a Lightning storm and it pored on us. we pretty much Ran down the Mtn.

Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Really fun! I enjoyed it.