Mount Kineo

Mount Kineo is a 3.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Kineo, Maine that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until February. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Exciting cliffs on island surrounded by expansive lake A wonderful hike combining mountain vistas with a lake backdrop. Starts flat along an old road under the flint cliffs. Flint can be gathered here. Indian trail ascends along edge of cliff and provides stellar views and strong heart beats. The only view available from the summit is atop a very tall fire tower. It has stairs but they are metal slats. Those afraid of heights should avoid this hike.

Took the bridal trail up and down but regret it and wish we took Indian up and bridal down. There are a few vistas along the trail which offer views as well as a fire tower up top. The fire tower looked very sketchy and I’ve been up 4 or 5 of them in New York. Also taking the ferry is required to get to the island so make sure you plan around that.

Challenging climb up Indian Ridge but a must for the amazing views! A few challenging steep areas but manageable. You must climb the tower! The view is spectacular!! Bridle path back down a little washed out. Some cool wood walkways. Beautiful walk along carriage path along the lake!
3rd time taking this hike and look forward to doing it again! Oh and the ride across the lake in the shuttle is fun! The boat master is great! Ask to read the info he has about Mt Kineo!

I hiked this mountain in the winter with a group - the Northwoods Wellness Collective. We had hikers of all ages with us, kids as low as 11 and adults as high as late 60s! We parked at the dock and walked across a frozen Moosehead Lake to the trail. There's a nice spot near the summit for views, and I highly recommend heading up the fire tower for epic views.

Love the Kineo Hike! This is a very quick hike but the views are wonderful for a majority of the hike, the tower at the top is great. Make a day of it, take the ferry out there and spend the day.

If you go up on Indian Trail, be prepared for it's high level of steepness. But it's worth it! Be sure to climb the fire tower for the best view. Going down the Bridle Trail is much easier, steep-wise, but a longer distance. One of my favorite hikes!

Sunday, July 02, 2017

One of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

Saturday, April 01, 2017

This is my favorite hike in the area! There is also a trail that goes around the island, the carriage trail. Also, check out the clubhouse for a beverage or snack after your hike!

Sunday, January 01, 2017

awsome views from the lookout tower. easy hike up and down with some good views of peninsula from some cliffs along climb.

Monday, October 10, 2016

It was a great hike, we did Indian Trail up and Bridle Trail down. Great views if you climb the fire tower at the top. Our three kids (9, 11, & 12) had no problem getting to the summit, it was just the right level of challenge for them.

Saturday, August 15, 2015

The beginning of the trail has plenty of places to stop and dip your toes in the lake before the accent up the cliffs. There are some fun, challenging spots and some beautiful views on your way up. Once the trail leaves the cliffs it looses it's mojo and reverts to being in a creek bed, which is never good for erosion. No view from the top, unless you climb the firetower and if you muster the nerve.... it is quite worth it. 360 degrees of awesomeness! If you take the loop down it stays in the creek bed almost all the way, which can be a bit muddy. If I did it again, I would take the cliffs back down.

Thursday, September 18, 2014

I've done this hike a few times throughout my visits to the area. As a child we always took the bridal trail up and occasionally the little used North Trail down. This year (2014) my husband and I took the Indian trail up and bridal down. Indian trail is quite difficult at times, close to the cliff edges you see in many photos of the mountain. It also provides many rewarding views for each strenuous stretch. A hike I'd happily do again and again!

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Great place to hike. We went up the Indian Trail first which was a little more difficult. But we all made it to the Watch Tower at the top of the mountain. Great views!

Friday, September 06, 2013

Took the Indian trail up. Strenuous, hands and feet climbing at times but well worth the view and plenty of places to stop, rest and look out over the lake. Took my group about 2 hours to get up with a few 5 minute breaks. Took the Bridle trail down. Really fast. Only took about 20 minutes but no view.

Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Great experience! We took the "Bridal Trail" up and down because my wife has fear of heights and it was great with just the right amount of challenge. I climbed the fire tower for a great panoramic view of surrounding lakes and mountains. We went back down to the intersection of the "Bridal Trail" and "Indian Trail" where we followed the Indian Trail only a few yards to a beautiful open area that had a beautiful view of Moosehead Lake. We stopped had had lunch. It was great!

Tuesday, September 06, 2011

a little steep, no more than an hr or so up depends how long you stop to look around we took the "Bridal Trail" to the top and climbed the fire tower! We unfortunately got caught in a Lightning storm and it pored on us. we pretty much Ran down the Mtn.

Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Really fun! I enjoyed it.

recorded Kineo - Jul 30, 01:03 PM