Mount Katahdin Trail

Mount Katahdin Trail is a 17.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Millinocket, Maine that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Mount Katahdin is a 9.3 mile out and back trail located near Millinocket, Maine. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

I have done this trail and under NO circumstances should it be considered moderate. This takes in the Hunt Trail hich is difficult, also Knife Edge which is very strenuous as well as Cathedral Trail. Both of which are listed as Difficult. This trail needs to be listed as DIFFICULT....so no one underestimates this and ends up severely injured or worse. This sentiment is reflected in most of the comments. - Diamond

I did this trail many years ago and highly recommend it for its beauty.

This was a bucket list hike I completed with my daughter in September 2015 before her wedding. I've been coming to Maine since I was a child and my grandfather had often challenged me to do the Katahdin hike.....now I've done it! Beautiful through and through....by far, one of the most physically demanding due to the many Boulder and rock fields. The Knife Edge is thrilling!

Good hike and a little bouldering. The place is a lot more crowded compared to when I was a kids hiking there. I grew up not far from the mountain.

Took the Helen Taylor trail up to Pamola, hiked the knife's edge to katahdin and turned around and took Helen Taylor back. I'd recommend doing saddle on the way down (from what I heard it's much easier) because you won't have to do knife's edge twice. Hike took my girlfriend and I 9 hours and we were beat. Best hike I've done

This was such an adventure with wonderful people!

We did the Hunt Trail up and down, and I have to say nothing prepared us for the amount of bouldering that we encountered. The boulders go on for miles. Bring plenty of food for energy!!! The summit is amazing and well worth it, just be prepared for the workout on the way up!

We took Hunt trail up and down. Much harder than I thought it was going to be. We ended up coming down mostly in the dark. The boulders were tough and seemed to go on forever. Beautiful views at the top!

Amazing Hike, Make sure to reserve Parking!

Headed up Helen Taylor to Pamola Peak... Which fore warning descending and ascending back up to get to knifes edge was one of the most challenging spots just because you pretty much are rock climbing at points. No complaints but it is still towards the beginning of your hike, so if your prepared and have plenty of water it's weighing you down a bit through here..

I am weary about heights but love adrenaline so was pretty weary about knifes edge. But honestly it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. There were a couple spots that left me sliding on my butt, saying some words my mother probably wouldn't have approved of, but all worth it. About half way across it got foggy and white socked. No complaints from the guy who doesn't like heights. We made good time when we couldn't see the almost 5000 feet down haha. Not to mention the second half of knifes edge was much easier. Looking back at what we just came through, made me very grateful we took it in the direction we did.

We were going to take Hamlin Peak down, heard it had some epic views. But with the amount of fog, and the 2 hour drive home, we decided to save it for next time because we WILL be back.

Ended up taking the saddle trail back down, wasn't bad at all. Made it beside Basin Pond and to the lean-toos where the ranger warned of a young bear in the area. Well needless to say 100 yards down the trail we found him

just hiked the new Abol Trail and loved it. weather was cool and rainy, so the views weren't the best, but a very rewarding climb. harder than I thought it would be. something for everyone.

Breathtaking!

Beautiful hike. Although when I went it was a bit cloudy, it was still amazing. most of the hike is rock scrambling. For me the mental toughness was harder then the physical. Knifes edge is beautiful but for someone who has a fear of heights like myself, it was a bit difficult. A lot of post say that if you are scared of heights not to do it, but the feeling you get when you do something you never thought you could, is one that will last a lifetime so go for it! it takes a little over an hour to go across it...."Anyone can do anything for an hour"

just saw Katahdin for the first time a year ago and for July 4, 2016...I solo hiked the hunt trail up and saddle trail down. if I did it again...I would stick to the hunt and take Abol down. the knife edge looks scary...I'd only do that if someone was with me. lesson learned: wear bug spray or bring fly mask!! it was completely worth it though and it is an amazing, adventure with beautiful views.

awesome !