Mount Cutler Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(278)
Hiram, Maine

Mount Cutler Trail is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Hiram, Maine that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,381 feet Route Type: Loop

Moderate hike over the 2 peaks of Mount Cutler in Hiram, ME. Note: Users have reported being swarmed by bugs on the hike. Make sure to pack some mosquito repellent! Long pants / sleeves are also a good idea.

I don’t know how anyone can say this loop takes an hour and a half. It’s a wide variety of trail with views ranging from the tips of trees out to MT Washington and to the east as well. Will definitely come back to this trail for the great variety. Some felt like white mountains and other parts like a walk in the backyard. Rock scramble was invigorating but I wouldn’t want to go down it. Definitely counter clockwise is best. Deer flies were out but not unbearable.

Started at new lot off Hiram Hill Road after reading notice at old lot. Took North Trail (blue blazes) to Notch Trail (red blazes) and skirted the real summit. Not long after that Notch Trail turned into an overgrown snowmobile trail with no markers, but it led us back to Barnes. We turned back at the steep section near the boulders and walked the train tracks back to Hiram Hill Road. Bugs were not a problem, but heat and humidity was! We lost trail a few times since turns were not clearly marked.

up blue, down white. dense woods, nice views at top. no major bug issues this morning.

Recommend doing the Barnes trail counter-clockwise as mentioned in another review. It takes a sharp right when you start to see boulders. Almost missed it as there was a dirt trail to the left. Great trail. Kids had fun! 6&9. Views along the way.

the app takes you to mtn view road...signs there say you should park at Hiram Hill rd just up off rte 113. From the lot at Mtn View road we took the Barnes trail counterclockwise. Not a trail for young ones as its very very steep and rocky the first 1/4 mile. That's why its prob better to go park at Hiram Hill rd. Nice easy walk down from the summit.. added the .4 mile trek signs showed to other summit, making it a total loop of 3.4 miles. Will do again from Hiram Hill Rd parking lot.

This was a great hike! We took the Barnes trail, marked with red blazes, counter-clockwise as others have recommended in previous reviews. Attempting that scramble coming down the trail would be miserable. It was a fun challenge going up it though! I read about swarms of bugs making it unpleasant, but we did not encounter anything but dragonflies the entire trail. Holy dragonflies though! There is no view from the highest peak, but the dragonflies, butterflies, and birds make for a magical experience. The views from the 2 lookouts are gorgeous! While the very top of Mt Washington was behind clouds, there was still a stunning view of the White Mountains. We will definitely do this hike again and again!

The coordinates take you to a small lot and there is a note that “asks” your to park about a 1/4-1/2 mile away at Hiram Hill. We should have done that as the trail we picked up was marked well - but we still went off. The trail(s) were well marked and a little confusing - leading us to cut short the hike.

closed

This trail is full of surprises, in a good way! I wouldn’t describe it as “hard” and you don’t have to be a mountain goat to complete it, but it is not as easy as it may appear at first. Be careful if you’re bringing little ones, older ones, or beginner/easygoing hikers. The trail can be steep and precipitous at times, plus sometimes the markers are difficult to locate. Even with my All Trails app, I accidentally cut off part of the trail. It took only 1 hr 15 mins of hiking time, but had fantastic views and surprises, but was a workout!

I have never been swarmed by bugs like I was on this trail. If you stop for more than 10 seconds, you will be covered with gnats. Also, I would say that this trail (at least the red loop) was actually hard, not moderate. I started by taking the left at the beginning fork and the end portion was straight scaling down the mountain. Even my extremely agile dog had a difficult time with it. But, for the few seconds that you can stand still at the top, there are incredible views!

Bring bug spray, wear pants, and a long sleeved shirt. Couldn’t even stop to snap pictures dues to the bugs. However the trail offers an array of terrain that even involves a little rock climbing so be ready for a challenge right from the beginning.

recorded Mount Cutler Trail

Blue trail was wet and slick, would not recommend for descent. White trail, while not scenic, was soft and dry, safe and easy for travel both ways.

The first part leading to the summit was more difficult than I intended I went with my Mom two younger boys (9&5) and they did well but it was a little scary in some spots, it took us almost 3 hours to do the loop ..: the views were absolutely stunning and there are a few different spots with equally amazing views. I will definitely do this one again and feel better being better prepared.

Great loop trail! Worth it for the views, and the parking is good as well.

The beginning of this trail starts off flat and begins to get steep. Have to climb a little bit on rocks. Loops around, and starts to go down hill. A little slippery from mud in some spots. Views as you hike up. The end of the trail is flat, perfect for a warm down walk out of the woods. Great trail. Multiple trails you can branch off too. Would definitely recommend!

Completed Sunday 5/10. Cute little trail for a family hike. A small scramble toward the beginning the was challenging for our 11yo lab but he did well with some help. Path is clearly marked, a little muddy this time of year but no snow left.

bridge out

Scrambly at the beginning. Nothing terrifying, but enough to make it interesting. Mud and water in spot. There’s a broken wooden bridge across a trickle of a creek. We jumped it rather than risking the bridge. Great views of the Presidentials still covered in snow.