Mount Blue is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Temple, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The only annoying part was the long dirt road to get to the trail head ! I was the only one hiking, and it was very peaceful. Although I started it later than most would recommend (4:15pm) in mid October I was back down at the car by 5:30pm. However, I did run most of the way down because I wanted to catch the sunset on my drive by Mount Blue State Park on the way out. Great hike overall. Stunning views at the top and very windy.

Absolutely stunning. Long path prior to getting on the actual mountain. Worth it.

Great hike

Short & Sweet with beautiful views!!

Great challenging hike, relentless 1.6. Loved it!! Great reward at the summit!!

Grading this hike is kind of difficult. I wouldn't consider this hike as moderate. While hiking 1.5 miles to the top doesn't sound like much, the average slope of over 20 percent is intense.

I do agree that the view from the observation deck is pretty special. Note that there are no views until you get almost to the top.

I hiked yesterday in extreme heat. Bring more water than you think you will need.

I gave this hike 3 stars because it was a one and done for me.

Friday, July 28, 2017

Phenomenal views from the top, typical steep western Maine mountain hike. Trail is in good shape, as is viewing platform on the tower. Alltrails elevation gain seems off, I logged more than 2,000 feet of gain.

Friday, June 30, 2017

Let me start by saying that, although I have an athletic build, I'm actually not in great shape, and I'm an occasional smoker. My young, athletic, mountain goat-like dog and I did this trail in a few hours. It started out on a gradual incline and steadily increased in difficulty as we went until, at the top, it was all but rock-climbing. If you want to replicate this climb here is my suggestion:

Start with a treadmill elevated to the highest setting. Walk on the treadmill until you think you might die, or about 30 minutes, then switch to the stair climber. After about 5 minutes on the stair climber, stop for a minute to catch your breath. While you are stopped release 1 million or so mosquitoes, then light a balsam and cedar Yankee candle before climbing back on. As you continue to climb the stairs, dump a wheelbarrow full of loose rocks onto the stair climber and turn the thermostat up to 90. Your back should be good and sweaty now so that the mosquitoes stick to you and the fire in the candle just reminds you of how much you could use a waterfall right about now. Your legs may or may not be trembling at this point. Say every cuss word you know and then say "This view better be worth it!". Continue climbing for a total of about 45 minutes on the stair climber, then get off and lay on the floor, face down. Using your fingernails, claw your way to the your thermostat. Turn the thermostat down to 50 degrees, turn on a high-powered fan, and release 2 million black flies. Now grab a ladder and, you guessed it, climb up as high as you can until your legs are shaking, but this time from fear or cold or both. At the top of the ladder take 4 or 5 pictures with your cell phone and say "Wow. This is beautiful", then do 1000 walking lunges to simulate the trip back down to your car. Now praise your dog, get in your car and talk to your dog about cardiovascular fitness while planning your next visit, when you promise to be in better shape. Post your pictures on social media and laugh light-heartedly as your friends tell you that Tumbledown is harder.

Thursday, June 22, 2017

While there was a little trouble finding the trail head (Google maps doesn't know where to go) the signs around the area helped a lot. Once on the trail it was an amazing hike and a great, quick workout. The top is the best with its looking tower and 360° viewing platform. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Friday, June 16, 2017

Hiked this with my 8 year old dog, and it was a fun little hike. The incline at the top was challenging but fun!

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Great hike. The road is still closed, so prepare for a 2.5 mile walk to the trail head. Trail is fine until about 2900ft, unstable snow (on May 9th) still make it impassable without snowshoes.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

The incline to the top was consistent, there are no flat parts to this hike and multiple spots that rock scrambling is necessary. Brought my 5 year old out of shape lab and 5 year old son with boundless energy, both made it. Was Definately challenging for my son, dog didn't have much trouble, although she got worked. The view makes it completely worth it. My recommendation is DefinatEly bring layers, it's very misleading at base and can be very very windy and chilly at top. Will definitely return.

Monday, October 17, 2016

The best 360° view of mountains I've ever seen. Dog friendly! Fire tower to climb at the top!

Monday, October 17, 2016

Please be aware the out and back distance is 4 miles. However, please don't let the distance fool you as this is a steep climb with several rocks, but well worth the effort. We did this as a family hike and all were able to complete it. Our 9 year old made it with minimal complaining until the last 1/2 mile. Our one year old dog made it with no issues. I made it with my two year old on my back in his carrier. The views from the top are just simply amazing and well worth the hike!

Friday, August 19, 2016

Monday, July 04, 2016

Great hike with amazing views! Be ready to climb. The trail is pretty steep and rocky! We had lunch at the small scenic vista spot and the dogs loved the spring near the small rundown cabin.

Friday, September 18, 2015

Great hike. Constant climb with little breaks. Last 1/2 mile was steep!!! One of the best lookouts I've seen. Great views and overall I loved this hike!!!

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Straight up. No give. An older couples dog struggled on the way so please consider your critters when planning this hike. Mileage wise it's short but don't let that fool you. Its a very strap incline the entire way.

Friday, June 12, 2015

steady up and steady down can be a workout depending on your pace and if you travel light or carry gear for lunch, camera, etc I had a few gnats and mosquitos past the abandoned fire warden's cabin and a semi-cloudy day but views from the top and observation deck are great. Bring a sweater or fleece if you decide to spend time on the observation deck - wind chill is 10 -15 degree lower and constant.

my thanks to whomever did trail maintenance, esp toward top. quite a few blowdowns and broken tree reminders from this past tough winter but trail was completely clear.

Monday, July 21, 2014

Steep trail, well maintained, amazing views at the top. 5 year old son made it up ok. The trail itself is 1.6 miles in, 1.6 miles out. Stop by the Center Hill nature trails/ picnic area on the way out. Awesome hike.

Friday, July 04, 2014

A good trail for a short day hike. I went later afternoon and completed it in 2.5 hrs. It's not 9 miles it's actually 4 total out and back. Not sure if the info for this trail can be updated but it's helpful to know there's a big difference between 9 and 4 and a loop vs. out and back. Otherwise it was a nice hike, definitely steep most the way but a few flat spots. Very rocky the entire trail so be prepared. Really great views at the top as well and worth the climb.

Saturday, September 07, 2013

Lets start with why I have this 4 stars - the views at the top were wonderful. There is a tower you can climb to an observation deck that afford s you a 360 degree view of the surrounding mountains.

The hike itself is one long, sometimes steep, climb. It may only be 1.6 miles from the trailhead to the summit but the climb is continuous. The word that comes to mind is relentless. If you are in good shape, no problem, if not hike elsewhere, or plan on a lot of stops on your way up.

Glad I did this one, just wish I had waited a couple of weeks to see the fall foliage.

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Description states this trail is used primarily for biking... Must be a different trail. This was a moderate trail, pretty steep at times. Great views from the top. Stopped to pick blueberries on the drive up to trailhead. Thousands of dragonflies put on a good show while we were sitting at the top.

Sunday, November 11, 2012

did this on a rainy day back in october. cloudy and foggy at top so i didn't get to enjoy the view. but after that scramble, I'm sure it would have been a spectacular view! radio tower at top doubles as nice lookout (at your own risk)...

Saturday, August 07, 2010

Short blast to the top. Wooded trail, steep, no views until the top. Wooded peak with lookouts. Good day hike with swimming and camping in the park. Hiking only on Mount Blue but lots of multi-use trails in the park.