Mount Blue

Mount Blue is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Temple, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Phenomenal views from the top, typical steep western Maine mountain hike. Trail is in good shape, as is viewing platform on the tower. Alltrails elevation gain seems off, I logged more than 2,000 feet of gain.

Let me start by saying that, although I have an athletic build, I'm actually not in great shape, and I'm an occasional smoker. My young, athletic, mountain goat-like dog and I did this trail in a few hours. It started out on a gradual incline and steadily increased in difficulty as we went until, at the top, it was all but rock-climbing. If you want to replicate this climb here is my suggestion:

Start with a treadmill elevated to the highest setting. Walk on the treadmill until you think you might die, or about 30 minutes, then switch to the stair climber. After about 5 minutes on the stair climber, stop for a minute to catch your breath. While you are stopped release 1 million or so mosquitoes, then light a balsam and cedar Yankee candle before climbing back on. As you continue to climb the stairs, dump a wheelbarrow full of loose rocks onto the stair climber and turn the thermostat up to 90. Your back should be good and sweaty now so that the mosquitoes stick to you and the fire in the candle just reminds you of how much you could use a waterfall right about now. Your legs may or may not be trembling at this point. Say every cuss word you know and then say "This view better be worth it!". Continue climbing for a total of about 45 minutes on the stair climber, then get off and lay on the floor, face down. Using your fingernails, claw your way to the your thermostat. Turn the thermostat down to 50 degrees, turn on a high-powered fan, and release 2 million black flies. Now grab a ladder and, you guessed it, climb up as high as you can until your legs are shaking, but this time from fear or cold or both. At the top of the ladder take 4 or 5 pictures with your cell phone and say "Wow. This is beautiful", then do 1000 walking lunges to simulate the trip back down to your car. Now praise your dog, get in your car and talk to your dog about cardiovascular fitness while planning your next visit, when you promise to be in better shape. Post your pictures on social media and laugh light-heartedly as your friends tell you that Tumbledown is harder.

While there was a little trouble finding the trail head (Google maps doesn't know where to go) the signs around the area helped a lot. Once on the trail it was an amazing hike and a great, quick workout. The top is the best with its looking tower and 360° viewing platform. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Hiked this with my 8 year old dog, and it was a fun little hike. The incline at the top was challenging but fun!

Great hike. The road is still closed, so prepare for a 2.5 mile walk to the trail head. Trail is fine until about 2900ft, unstable snow (on May 9th) still make it impassable without snowshoes.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

The incline to the top was consistent, there are no flat parts to this hike and multiple spots that rock scrambling is necessary. Brought my 5 year old out of shape lab and 5 year old son with boundless energy, both made it. Was Definately challenging for my son, dog didn't have much trouble, although she got worked. The view makes it completely worth it. My recommendation is DefinatEly bring layers, it's very misleading at base and can be very very windy and chilly at top. Will definitely return.

Monday, October 17, 2016

The best 360° view of mountains I've ever seen. Dog friendly! Fire tower to climb at the top!

Monday, October 17, 2016

Please be aware the out and back distance is 4 miles. However, please don't let the distance fool you as this is a steep climb with several rocks, but well worth the effort. We did this as a family hike and all were able to complete it. Our 9 year old made it with minimal complaining until the last 1/2 mile. Our one year old dog made it with no issues. I made it with my two year old on my back in his carrier. The views from the top are just simply amazing and well worth the hike!

Friday, August 19, 2016

Just amazing! Blue blue blue!!!!!

Monday, July 04, 2016

Great hike with amazing views! Be ready to climb. The trail is pretty steep and rocky! We had lunch at the small scenic vista spot and the dogs loved the spring near the small rundown cabin.

Friday, September 25, 2015

Friday, September 18, 2015

Great hike. Constant climb with little breaks. Last 1/2 mile was steep!!! One of the best lookouts I've seen. Great views and overall I loved this hike!!!