Mount Blue

Mount Blue is a 3 mile out and back trail located near Temple, Maine. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

While there was a little trouble finding the trail head (Google maps doesn't know where to go) the signs around the area helped a lot. Once on the trail it was an amazing hike and a great, quick workout. The top is the best with its looking tower and 360° viewing platform. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Hiked this with my 8 year old dog, and it was a fun little hike. The incline at the top was challenging but fun!

Great hike. The road is still closed, so prepare for a 2.5 mile walk to the trail head. Trail is fine until about 2900ft, unstable snow (on May 9th) still make it impassable without snowshoes.

The incline to the top was consistent, there are no flat parts to this hike and multiple spots that rock scrambling is necessary. Brought my 5 year old out of shape lab and 5 year old son with boundless energy, both made it. Was Definately challenging for my son, dog didn't have much trouble, although she got worked. The view makes it completely worth it. My recommendation is DefinatEly bring layers, it's very misleading at base and can be very very windy and chilly at top. Will definitely return.

The best 360° view of mountains I've ever seen. Dog friendly! Fire tower to climb at the top!

Please be aware the out and back distance is 4 miles. However, please don't let the distance fool you as this is a steep climb with several rocks, but well worth the effort. We did this as a family hike and all were able to complete it. Our 9 year old made it with minimal complaining until the last 1/2 mile. Our one year old dog made it with no issues. I made it with my two year old on my back in his carrier. The views from the top are just simply amazing and well worth the hike!

Just amazing! Blue blue blue!!!!!

Great hike with amazing views! Be ready to climb. The trail is pretty steep and rocky! We had lunch at the small scenic vista spot and the dogs loved the spring near the small rundown cabin.

Friday, September 25, 2015

Friday, September 18, 2015

Great hike. Constant climb with little breaks. Last 1/2 mile was steep!!! One of the best lookouts I've seen. Great views and overall I loved this hike!!!

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Straight up. No give. An older couples dog struggled on the way so please consider your critters when planning this hike. Mileage wise it's short but don't let that fool you. Its a very strap incline the entire way.

Friday, June 12, 2015

steady up and steady down can be a workout depending on your pace and if you travel light or carry gear for lunch, camera, etc I had a few gnats and mosquitos past the abandoned fire warden's cabin and a semi-cloudy day but views from the top and observation deck are great. Bring a sweater or fleece if you decide to spend time on the observation deck - wind chill is 10 -15 degree lower and constant.

my thanks to whomever did trail maintenance, esp toward top. quite a few blowdowns and broken tree reminders from this past tough winter but trail was completely clear.

Monday, July 21, 2014

Steep trail, well maintained, amazing views at the top. 5 year old son made it up ok. The trail itself is 1.6 miles in, 1.6 miles out. Stop by the Center Hill nature trails/ picnic area on the way out. Awesome hike.

Friday, July 04, 2014

A good trail for a short day hike. I went later afternoon and completed it in 2.5 hrs. It's not 9 miles it's actually 4 total out and back. Not sure if the info for this trail can be updated but it's helpful to know there's a big difference between 9 and 4 and a loop vs. out and back. Otherwise it was a nice hike, definitely steep most the way but a few flat spots. Very rocky the entire trail so be prepared. Really great views at the top as well and worth the climb.

Saturday, September 07, 2013

Lets start with why I have this 4 stars - the views at the top were wonderful. There is a tower you can climb to an observation deck that afford s you a 360 degree view of the surrounding mountains.

The hike itself is one long, sometimes steep, climb. It may only be 1.6 miles from the trailhead to the summit but the climb is continuous. The word that comes to mind is relentless. If you are in good shape, no problem, if not hike elsewhere, or plan on a lot of stops on your way up.

Glad I did this one, just wish I had waited a couple of weeks to see the fall foliage.

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Description states this trail is used primarily for biking... Must be a different trail. This was a moderate trail, pretty steep at times. Great views from the top. Stopped to pick blueberries on the drive up to trailhead. Thousands of dragonflies put on a good show while we were sitting at the top.