Messalonskee Trail

Messalonskee Trail is a 3.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Oakland, Maine that features a river. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Easy hike. Beautiful tall pines and stream. Enjoyed the walk with family.

My favorite trail. This trail offers various terrain, and beautiful views, keeping you engaged with nature at all times!

I’ve only done this once and it was earlier this past spring. In general I would consider this a great easy hike for some afternoon exercise. I have severe back and pain issues that effect my balance which can really throw off my footing. There are spots throughout the trail that are on a slope, if I remember, with quite a few rocks and roots. Early in the spring there was still a good layer of leaves on the ground which made it difficult to notice the roots and rocks, as well as making things a bit slippery. I really had to pay close attention to my footing, as I had a few close calls slipping on leaves. Hopefully when I go back this week to do it again, the leaves will be cleared out and won’t slow me down.

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

This trail is one I use on a regular basis for every day exercise. Many locals use it regularly, especially in the evenings. There are some hills, a little rocky and stumps too. Great for kids and dogs - some nice bridges with easy access to water for the dogs, the trail even drops to the Messalonskee if you want your pup to swim, or if you want to cool off. I consider this an easy trail for myself, but it's a challenge for someone who is a beginner hiker. Such a gem in the community. Very peaceful.

Friday, April 14, 2017

Will be better when the snow clears!

Saturday, July 29, 2017