Mansell Mountain Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(66)
Acadia National Park

Mansell Mountain Loop Trail is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mt Desert, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.2 miles Elevation Gain: 875 feet Route Type: Loop

Acadia National Park P.O. Box 177 Bar Harbor, ME 04609-0177 Phone: 207-288-3338 Shipping Address Acadia National Park 20 McFarland Hill Drive Bar Harbor ME 04609-0177 More information: http://www.nps.gov/acad/contacts.htm

did this trail but came in the long pond trail and up. not gonna lie, the first half of this climb from the lake up is exposed and not entirely safe or comfortable for those not cool with heights(which I seem to be becoming). that said, after the first half you can really enjoy the absolute marvel that is this perfect staircase up the side of a mountain. I would never decend these stairs! took the backside down to notch trail...as others have said the trail down from the backside is not well marked. the trail down to notch trail after it branches off, is LESS well marked and I wasted some time walking back and forth on the rock and the face of the ledge. a memorable hike from the fire road to the north. I would not take kids under 10 from the lake up the mountain.

Really nice hike with good views of Long Pond and Bernard Mountain. Not terribly difficult but be prepared for some stairs! This trail also has some great links to other trails!

I went for the view, which was great!, but I think I had more fun looking at all the rock formations in the woods. We went up the stairs on the Perpendicular Trail, (and down the other way to make a loop). Being March there were a few places of ice on the way, but I never had to put my spikes on- they were minor, (and none on the stairs. Those were dry and safe.) It was a great hike. I'd go again.

I torqued my ankle slipping on some ice today (3/15/2020), most of the way up the stairs, going CCW. I figured descending those stairs would be prohibitive so I went to the summit and descended the back way. I wouldn't recommend going down the stairs late afternoon, gimpy ankle or not--it gets shadowy. The back way isn't very well marked, and the top half is mostly bare rock along the trail. I wouldn't climb it in the winter at all.

Great view of various harbors. Stopped 40 minutes at top for lunch. Wished we had waited a little longer down the wash side the views were awsome.

I suggest doing this trail counterclockwise so you go up the stone stairs rather than down them. The stairs going up perpendicular trail are the best stone stairs in the park. There are a lot of stairs so do yourself a favor and take some breaks along the way and enjoy the views of the pond and the mountains beyond.

The stairs on the Perpendicular Trail were so impressive! Beautiful views along the way of Long Pond, and Beech Mtn across the way. As you get up further, bigger views towards Somes Sound. Great spots to sit and look out. At top before descending, there’s a lookout in the other direction, towards Blue Hill Bay, which was lovely.

Wed Dec 26 2018

one of my favorites

Wed Jun 13 2018

Despite being only 2.2 miles, this trail borders in difficult! I took the trail the CCW direction. So many rock stairs over the rock fall! Plenty of places to stop for great views along the way. Only saw 2 other hikers on the trail! The descent was a continuous down slope across rock faces, rock fall, and roots.

Wed Sep 06 2017

I might rate this strenuous given the continuous upward stair climb to the top. But one of the more memorable hikes given the engineering that must have gone into building those stairs. Incredible!

Thu Jul 14 2016

Excellent hike on the quiet side of the island. I would recommend ascending the relatively steep perpendicular trail and them coming down the southern face of the mountain to complete a loop. The trail down the south side is much more moderately sloped. The stairs and rock formations on the perpendicular trail are beautiful. The views from the top are also quite beautiful - best time would be to arrive at the top about 15 minutes before sunrise and sit back, nibble on some blueberries and watch the show. Not as many berries here as on Acadia mountain, but enough for pancakes when you get home. This route is not nearly as traveled as the ones on the eastern side so if you want a little more room on the trail this is a great option.

Fri Jun 14 2013

I did this as part of a loop with Razorback and Perpendicular trail. See other reviews. I went down the trail and found it very in appealing for the footing with gravel loose rocks and slippery ledges. Of course the roots and mud lower on trail were just an added bonus . It took me longer to go down than to come up Perpindicular Trail! If I did it again it would be going up because it would be easier. The views were mostly on the very top part. I like loops but this trail would not be a preferred part.

recorded Beech Mountain Loop Trail