Learn more

Libby Hill Forest Trails

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(102)
Libby Hill Forest

Libby Hill Forest Trails is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gray, Maine that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.9 miles Elevation Gain: 357 feet Route Type: Loop

Libby Hill Forest Trails consists of over 6 miles of multipurpose recreational trails in Gray, ME. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Apparently where you park and see a trailhead is NOT where you begin. Turn around 180 degrees and look for a blue sign on the back of a stop sign to point you in the right direction. We were off trail right from the start. Very confusing unless you know to look across the street. Also VERY buggy and we found a tick in us when we got home.

Love this easy loop for trail running with my dog. Well-marked and well-groomed trail system for all seasons.

Just start it’s a pretty hard-core up climb to the top at the memorial bench but there’s an awesome snake that goes all the way down

April is a great time to hike the yellow loop trail! This time off year in the bog you will find a rookery, lots of blue heron nesting! Take your binoculars! You may also glance a beaver or two swimming! A lovely trail for the whole family!

Certainly not moderate. Easy hike flat through the woods. Well marked and wide trails which is nice. No lookouts that we found.

Awesome trail system but it can get confusing with all the ATV/skiing trails intertwined. Right next to the parking area there is a well established looking trail to the right with a big arrow pointing to it on a tree. This was NOT the correct route we should have gone and we ended up quite lost on an ATV/snowmobile trail, granted this was a few years ago before we had AllTrails, and it was during a snowstorm. The actual hiking trailhead is a few hundred yards up to the left winding behind the school. I found the AllTrails map to be way more helpful than the ones printed and displayed at various points there. There are plentiful blazes but even these can be a little confusing at some intersections where they have the same color going in myriad directions.

icy

This was my very first Hike with the intentions of actually hiking. The trail is clean with great views both from the top and if you take the yellow trail, it gets you back to the swamp. I'm sure its buggy in the summer so bring bug spray. It was challenging but didnt drain me. It is still spring so it was still a little icy in spots but I'm sure that it's all melted by now. I had a great time with my family and will definetly do it again in the summer.

recorded Libby Hill Forest Trails

Part of the trail is closed but there is a detour

Easy hiking with well marked trails. Maps of the area at every intersection are a nice touch. Separate trails for skiing, and motorized vehicles. Will definitely hike here again.

Excellent mix of trails. Would rate as easy rather than moderate

this is a nice local trail system, and I love that there are blueberry bushes all over the place! the tall grass growth along moose odyssey in the warmer months is very good tick habitat. brought the pup along and ended up pulling more than 30 ticks off him by end of day - yikes!

Sun Mar 03 2019

A nice winter hike. The trails interweave with groomed cross country ski trails. Conditions today were light snow over old hard packed snow that was a little slick under the fresh stuff. Could have used some micro spikes but got along okay without any. Would be a good snowshoeing trail with deeper fresh snow. There is a nice little parking lot. The trail head is actually across the street from the parking lot. I started off going the wrong way because there is an ATV trail right there by the signage for the trail and I assumed it was the trail but it’s not! Trails are well blazed but the signage otherwise was a little confusing. I followed the blue blazes and then the red blazes and made a nice loop.

Wed May 30 2018

A bit buggy, but the trails are well maintained. Good place to take an afternoon stroll.

Sun May 27 2018

Great hike to a cool wetland with tons of nests. Bring bug spray, the mosquitoes are relentless.

Sat Feb 03 2018

Two inches of fresh powder. Perfect day.

Sat Dec 02 2017

I love these trails. They are so well maintained, and extremely well marked. Do all the loops and you can easily over 10 miles. Take one of the atv trails that intersect the trails and you can go for 100s of miles. Rolling hills and a great mix between wide open cross country ski trails, and single track technical snow shoe trails. My dog and I love these trails. I run here 4-7 times a week and I'm never disappointed.

Tue Aug 29 2017

Great local hike with the kids.

Sat Jul 22 2017

nice, easy, family friendly trail that loops around a beaver bog. Beaver, ducks, Canadian geese, turtles, can be seen seasonally. Note: There is a sign that states no dogs, at trail head.

Sun Dec 25 2016

Went snowshoeing here and it was great! Nice trails that were insanely well-marked. Best marked trails I've ever been on. In the winter, there are 3 trails for snowshoeing/hiking/mountain biking, and there are many more trails that are groomed and for xc skiers only. It was a little icy, so we ended up snowshoeing instead of skiing. The three snowshoeing trails are connected to one another, so you can get some good mileage in if you want to!

Thu Nov 24 2016

Trails not marked at all. ended up walking over 2 miles on highway to return to trailhead is it really that hard to paint some markers c'mon man

Wed Oct 19 2016

took trail from northbrook to connect with libby hill trails. good 3 mile jaunt, next time should bring bike.

Mon Oct 10 2016

Easy walk with great foliage

Sun Aug 07 2016

Great geocaching trails. Lots of hills. Sometimes has increased traffic requiring dog to be leashed.

Wed Jul 20 2016

Nice and easy hike!

Mon Jun 20 2016

Good trail to keep a steady pace on. Is easy when you want it to be and holds the potential to be challenging if you up your speed. A lot of good hills for sprints and I didn't get bored of it. Did about 2.8 miles of it and would highly recommend

Mon Jun 06 2016

Went shortly after a thaw and early parts of the trail were quite muddy and uninteresting, especially in the mixed use areas. The middle distances have been logged in the past, and though it is not a moonscape like some logging areas I've been to, it does have an eery open feeling to it with fairly young low growth. Something about the selective monoculture of mature trees that urks me. The farther out you travel the nicer it is with some tree variety returning. Pretty stream and wetland areas at the farthest reaches with signs of beaver activity. I would probably go back again at some point.