Katahdin Loop Trail

Katahdin Loop Trail is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Millinocket, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Stellar Views, Cliffs, and Wilderness. A long grueling hike. The Knife edge is very rugged in places - the chimney is almost a technical climb. The Baxter peak side of the knife edge is a boulder scramble. The saddle trail has a 1/2 mile section of scree and is also very steep. A tough hike that you should be in shape for. The most difficult and time consuming portions of the hike are exposed and above treeline.

Had an amazing day taking the abol trail to the hunt. Was feeling really accomplished and excited about all my bouldering up abol until I ran into four thru-hikers finishing their AT journeys and was very quickly humbled! Decided to take the hunt (AT) on the way down in homage to my new friends and more than once scratched my head at just where the white blazes were positioned on the boulders going down (you're suggesting I go where?!).

In total the hike ends up being 10 miles with a two mile trek back to the abol campground. Honestly, toughest hike of my life, incredibly challenging but worth every single minute. Ran into loads of kids (probably 12 and up) and senior citizens, so it's tough but totally manageable and safe.

Mount Katahdin was absolutely breathe taking . A very tough hike that'll take you most of if not the entire day given you want to enjoy a nice lunch on top of the mountain. We got here at about 9 o'clock in the morning on Saturday in late August and they told us the entire parking lot was full. We ended up parking closer to the trail head to one of the neighboring mountains and found our way to the hunt trail. Amazing hike

Amazing experience. My wife is less experienced so it took us longer than average time to complete, but it is well worth it. It's not only the trail, the mountain, but the people who make BSP and Milinocket a great place to visit. Will come back for sure and try other ways up, but will do the knife edge over and over again.

Monday, August 08, 2016

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

AWESOME! This is a challenging hike, started up the Helen Taylor trail which is mostly Boulder climbing. Once we got to the peak we went across knifes edge, which is grueling and a bit sketchy but it's a thrill. Made it to Baxters peak than headed down saddle trail which is rocky the entire way, which can be rough on your feet. But the view at the top is incredible!

Friday, July 01, 2016

Monday, June 27, 2016

Incredibly humbling hike without a cloud in the sky. Definitely check your weather because the Edge could be a little sketchy in the rain/ wind gusts.

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Thursday, June 09, 2016

This is an ankle breaker. There is no dirt trail, it is rock hopping the entire way. Mountain is imposing, since it is a standalone. It looks like something transplanted from the Rockies. Every hiker should experience Baxter Park. Doing this hike made my entire year!

Saturday, June 04, 2016