New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Katahdin Dudley, Knife Edge, Saddle Trail Loop

Katahdin Dudley, Knife Edge, Saddle Trail Loop is a 4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Millinocket, Maine that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from May until August.

Distance: 4.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,624 feet Route Type: Loop

NOTE: The Dudley Trail is closed until further notice. This trail can still be done as an out-and-back, but you must plan accordingly. Please check here for more information: https://baxterstatepark.org/general-info/#plan You should plan on at least 2 hours to climb this 1.2 stretch of the Dudley trail. It is pretty steep and very rough, as is all of Katahdin. There are only 3 ways off of Pamola - the knife edge, Heelon Taylor to roaring brook or back down the Dudley trail. The Knife edge is very rugged in places - the chimney is almost a technical climb. The Baxter peak side of the knife edge is a boulder scramble. The saddle trail has a 1/2 mile section of scree and is also very steep. A tough hike that you should be in shape for. The most difficult and time consuming portions of the hike are exposed and above tree line.

We spent first day hiking to Chimney Pond Camp to set up, second day we did loop. Defiantly challenging due to wind the day we went. We went up chimney and down saddle! Decided due to Dudley being closed we only did half of knifes edge! Pack water and snacks and good hiking shoes. No fires are allowed if staying at chimney pong camp!

Such an amazing climb. We tracked 11 miles total from the parking lot. I would highly recommend you bring plenty of water and a few snacks. This is a draining hike up and a draining hike down. Lots of boulders everywhere. Expect to summit two additional peaks before getting to Katahdin. Such a stunning hike. Well worth the TOTAL EXHAUSTION.

Hiked on August 11 with 70% chance of thunderstorms. Fortunately the storms held off but we had high wind, rain and hail at the top. Went up Chimney and saddle, came down the same way. Those of us who were dressed appropriately were obviously better off in those conditions. Down was much harder because of the high wind and rain. Best hike of the summer.

Not bad at all. We took chimney pond to saddle and it was hard but not bad. Takes a lot of time so start early and be prepared with water.

Katahdin is one of the best hikes I’ve ever done. Knife’s Edge is not for the weary or faint of heart, as there were definitely some tricky parts and the path can get quite narrow in certain sections. I would definitely recommend checking the wind forecast before hiking Knife’s Edge and would not hike this trail during gusty conditions. Probably the most difficult hike I’ve done (mainly because my group and I got a little too cocky and took this trail as our descent on a particularly windy day which I would NOT RECOMMEND) but so incredibly rewarding as you can see miles of beautiful Maine landscape in a panorama on top of the edge! Absolutely amazing, make sure to bring a camera!

One of the best hikes in Maine!

Sun Aug 20 2017

As of May 26, 2017, Baxter State Park has all trails open except Dudley.

Thu Jun 08 2017

This trail is Closed for the summer or 2017. possibly longer.

Sun Aug 23 2015

Awesome

Wed Jan 02 2013

This is the best hike in Maine. Also the best route from Chimney Pond in my opinion. The Knife Edge is narrow, but fear not, walk with confidence and it's easily passible. I was there on Sept 1, 2012 and the weather was perfect. I can't wait to book this year.

Thu Sep 27 2018