Jordan Pond to South Bubble Summit

Jordan Pond to South Bubble Summit is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Desert, Maine that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from May until October.

Summary: need to be in decent shape, as it does include some minor rock climbing from rock ledge to rock ledge. If you have a major fear of heights/falling, I may avoid this. If your fear is minor, it's still a doable hike that will give you a good adrenaline rush (I'm in this category). If you have no fear of heights, climb away! A great workout to get up to South Bubble from Jordan Pond. Amazing, rewarding views at the end.

I didn't see this trail from Jordan Pond to the South Bubble summit on Alltrails, but saw the trail existed on the map. We wanted to do Jordan Pond and the Bubbles all in the same hike (plus another hike in the same day) so I figured this was the best way to do so. We got to the point of the Jordan Pond trail with the fork for Jordan Pond Carry on the right and South Bubble Summit on the left. We knew it would be a significant elevation gain in just .4 miles, but didn't really know what to expect in terms of terrain. Right off the bat on the summit trail, you begin hiking up very rocky terrain. Pretty soon, using your hands to help climb is advised if not required. About two thirds of the way up, it begins getting a little hairy for people with a fear of heights and/or falling (my girlfriend and I sort of fall in this category). It gets significantly more steep with smaller ledges. There are quite a few places where you have to hoist yourself up to the next ledge, and I can think of two or three spots where (please take no offense) someone overweight will have trouble squeezing through. If I wasn't 6'5" I would've had to take my backpack off in a couple spots just to move up the trail. The final stretch is a little easier compared to the climbing section you just finished, and you'll be at the top soon enough. From the top of South Bubble, take a break and enjoy the views, you deserve it. From there, you can continue on to North Bubble, or head back to Jordan Pond via the Jordan Pond Carry (very very gradual forest descent back to the spot you began the summit trail) or Bubbles Divide (less gradual descent to north side of Jordan Pond, be careful when it's wet). Highly recommended if you're looking for a challenging but doable hike!