Jordan Pond to South Bubble Summit

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(115)
Acadia National Park

Jordan Pond to South Bubble Summit is a 3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Desert, Maine that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 3.0 miles Elevation Gain: 534 feet Route Type: Out & Back

We actually did this trail in reverse and it was still quite rewarding!!! Got to warm up our legs around Jordan Pond, which is a complete zoo. The only caveat is that we went down the iron rungs on the Jordan Cliff Trail instead of up them. This Jordan Cliff is only open Friday-Sunday due to required rehab but we felt like we had the trail to ourself! This trail should definitely be marked as difficult when wet. Dogs cannot complete this any time.

I would rate this trail as difficult during the south bubble section - VERY steep sections with drop offs and has a metal rung in part of the climb up. I had two little kids and we were in over our heads. Other moderate trails were great for us, but would definitely recommend taking bubbles divide if you have kids.

Hiked Jordan Pond counterclockwise and threw in Bubble North summit and Bubble South Loop. The clockwise assent on Bubble South Loop is fairly steep but well worth the effort. There is a great view of Jordan Pond and beyond from the summit. The counterclockwise assent is much more gradual and easy to hike. The fall colors are just starting and the foliage is quite colorful. A popular trail and a bit busy from many hikers out to enjoy the autumn colors.

South Bubble summit from Jordan Pond Path was exhilarating, precarious, and AWESOME.

south bubble was steep. amazing views though.

Jordan pond was nice but tame. The south bubble was pretty intense!

The view is absolutely worth the work.

Jordan Pond East side is a easy flat walk along the pond. South face of South Bubble is a long boulder scramble. Takes good endurance and there are plenty of rest areas as needed. Combine with Bubbles Divide and the West side of Jordan Pond for a good loop. Ends at Jordan Pond House for a meal/cocktail. Some iffy spots at the top for little ones, not too bad though.

A very nice walk along beautiful Jordan Pond, followed by a pretty strenuous and challenging climb up The South Bubble mountain. The final section (near the summit) is particularly challenging, with some sections requiring you to pull yourself up rocks and squeeze through some narrow crevices. Incredible view back toward Jordan Pond at the top. Overall a very fun hike...just keep in mind that the final section requires some skill and strength to complete.

Great hike but a little sketchy at the top with young kids. Going back down would not be a good idea. Have fun!

Actually disappointed with the walk along Jordan pond, but really loved the views from south bubble. Maybe my favorite view point at the park. Going up south bubble not easy with a 3 and 6 year old, they were screaming but made it. Nobody called child services on us. Hike down south bubble not recommended.

Great trail and views!!! The last part is a bit tough on the legs and requires some work as it’s almost straight up!

Amazing hike! So much fun and so beautiful. I can't recommend it enough!

Really, really enjoyed this hike, but I’m surprised it’s only rated as moderately difficult. I thought the physical demands were fairly comparable to the Beehive Trail, and there were a number of precarious spots along the trail Like many people have said, the first part around the lake is nice, flat, and easy. We took the first available ascent to South Bubble: The trail marker said it was about .4 miles. It is basically straight up hill, and you do have scramble up some rocks and climb hand over foot. I felt like there was a point of no return, and I wouldn’t want to try to go down the same way. Overall, was a lot of fun, but I wouldn’t take a kid or dog up this way. Also, the view from the top is stunning. Afterward we followed the trail until we saw another marker pointing toward the Jordan Pond Loop, and we descended this way. It was pretty steep at first, but not too bad. We finished the hike off by completing the Pond Loop. (Side Note: We ran into a number of other hikers who also felt that calling the trail moderate was a bit misleading. There were a lot of intersecting trails, so I guess it depends on where you started and which way you go from there. I think there’s a flatter trail that leads to the Bubble parking lot, but we didn’t check it out. Maybe that’s the part that’s ranked moderate?)

Parked at Jordan Pond about 9am without trouble. Gorgeous and relaxing walk along the lake, as the waves lap against the shore. The uphill climb from the lake toward South Bubble starts off pretty chill (babbling brook in the forest), then gets pretty tiring when the stair and rock climbs start. Stunning view at the top, where we sat and enjoyed our packed lunch. Fairly muddy in spots near the top, but overall a great hike.

Ended up on the South Bubble trail by accident and for novice rock climbers we thought this was between moderate and hard. Several hikers in front of us turned around when they got close to the top as there is a spot where you need to squeeze and climb through rock and you are close to the edge of the cliff. We had two nine year olds with us and I assisted them getting through this part and made sure they were in a secure spot closer to the top. This ended up being our favorite hike in Acadia as the views are worth the climb!

Sat May 18 2019

Parked at Jordan Pond to get to the bubble trail. Crazy rock climb the way up but the view from the south bubble is amazing. Recommend continuing on to the north bubble and then descending back down to the other side of Jordan Pond. Some of the best hiking we did here was the Bubbles!

Thu Oct 18 2018

We parked at Jordan Pond and hiked the east side of the pond, then up to the south bubble. This is a the difficult stretch! There were rock scrambles where you have to use your hands. Really fun though! I would not want to do it going down though... We also added the north bubble summit then took the bubbles divide back down to Jordan pond to create a loop! Amazing views, fun rock scrambles, would definitely recommend doing it as a loop!

Sat Sep 15 2018

Great experience for novice hiker/rock climber!

Sat Jul 21 2018

Great trail with a nice leisure walk to South Bubble mountain. Fun scramble with great views as you continue to reach the summit. don't forget to go towards to right near the top to see the big boulder by the cliff!

Fri Jul 13 2018

Great challenging hike. Nice views from the top.

Wed Jul 11 2018

Started the hike on Jordan Pond and took the first trail head that went to the Bubbles. This trail is great for families, especially with small kids. We went down the Bubble Divide which was very steep but very cool. I think going up the Divide with three kids would’ve been tough but if you have experienced hikers or, at least average shape hikers, this would have been a great incline.

Wed Jul 04 2018

This is tough but worth it if you can hike up all the rocks. Very steep coming down so I would take the other route down if you are doing the bus and don’t have a car parked.

Sun May 27 2018

Started off hiking around Jordan pond and wanted to make our way to bubble rock afterwards, but had no plans to do this trail until we came across the sign. Most of the way up is stepping from boulder to boulder, towards the top it was more like climbing as we had to use our hands, and we needed to stop to catch our breath several times as it was quite steep. we came to a point where we needed to lift ourselves up onto a couple of ledges, and almost called it quits (fear of heights and falling) until some others came by and made it look much easier than we were anticipating, especially at the parts where we couldn’t quite see the next step. They also assured us there was another easier way back down. It was totally worth it. So much fun and the views are breathtaking.

Sat Mar 24 2018

Great hike and had a beautiful day to do it. The hike is very flat then up to the top requires some moderate scramble. I gave this a five but would have rated it only as moderate or a "4 star" had I not combined it with a hike up and over Pemetic Mountain. It doubles the miles and height. I did it clockwise meaning the sun was to my back as I climbed up Bubble Rock, which made the pictures back to the ocean less ideal by midday. If you start in the north you can make the Jordan Lake House a midway point which is a great place to get popovers and then continue.