Learn more

Jordan Pond, Sargent Mountain, and Penobscot Mountain Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(77)
Acadia National Park

Jordan Pond, Sargent Mountain, and Penobscot Mountain Loop Trail is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mount Desert, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October.

Length 5.2 mi Elevation gain 1,259 ft Route type Loop

Scramble

No dogs

Description
Waypoints (0)

As of August 2019, the Jordan Cliffs trail is closed for restoration.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (76)
Photos (1031)
Recordings (54)
Completed (214)
Frances Starn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jul 09 2020
Hiking

We were looking for a 5-8 mile loop to get our heart rate up with views and water features, and this was awesome!! Beautiful trail, exposed for much of the way up for constant gorgeous views.

Lesia P.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Sep 21 2019
HikingRockyScramble
View Lesia's Recording
Christina Battiston
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Sep 19 2019
HikingNo shadeRockyScramble

My dad and I took a version of this trail today and with breaks (water, food, photography, taking in the views, slow downs on pond path) we finished it in 3.5-4 hours. I think we did it pretty quick. My dad is in 70’s and great shape but it was challenging at bits. I agree with several comments below, bring good knees, water, and be ready for a challenge. We ended up doing spring trail to jump to penobscot mountain trail after realizing that’ll Jordan cliff trail was closed. Then we came back on the west side of Jordan pond. Spring trail was very narrow at points with a high elevation change. A good amount the trail up to both peaks is open for views but also lots of sun and potential wind. I had brought some extra food in my bag and water and we used all of it. I recommend this trail. However, I recommend being in good shape and leaving enough time for breaks and to really enjoy the views.

Aleena Foster
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Sep 05 2019

Super fun trail. I’d classify the East Sargent Cliffs part as hard, there was some scrambling I wasn’t prepared for. Would definitely recommend hiking boots over Chacos or sneakers. Jordan Cliffs trail was closed so we went down Penobscot Trail, which was moderate. Stunning views and pretty empty on our Thursday afternoon trip - two other couples at the summit, and on the trails only passed people every now and then. Jordan Pond was more crowded than the other legs. Would definitely do it again if I wore hiking boots!! I didn’t trip at all in my Chacos, but I would have preferred more ankle support/stability.

View Aleena's Recording
Kat Bridges
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Aug 15 2019
HikingClosedRockyScramble

Jordan Cliffs trail was closed for restoration; we took the Spring trail up Penobscot instead, which was a fun if unexpected scramble! Sargent East Cliffs trail downhill is no joke, steep and rocky; bring good knees and prepare to use your butt. Views were spectacular, as was a cooling splash in Sargent Pond. Happy we chose this hike today.

View Kat's Recording
Karisa Schmalz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Aug 07 2019
HikingClosedRockyScramble
View Karisa's Recording
A & M Vassar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 19 2019
HikingScramble

We are new to hiking, and were looking for something with some adventure, scenery, and since we’re from Missouri, something that showed off the landscape of this gorgeous state. This hike had it ALL!! We scrambled, ate wild blueberries, seen sights that took our breath away, and we swam in a pond with beautiful, clear water!! This hike was fantastic!!! I took my wife and 3 girls, (15,13, 8) and though they were exhausted at the end, we would all do it again!! My phone died at the end, so I wasn’t able to record the whole thing, but it definitely has solidified our families love of this new hobby!

View A & M's Recording
Ronald Cypher
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Jul 18 2019
Hiking

Fantastic views but hard climb down from Mount Sargent. Next time I’d go up Mount Sargent and then down Penobscot although that would also be challenging.

View Ronald's Recording
Kevin Weaver
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jul 09 2019
Hiking

Awesome trail. Started at Jordan Pond house, and took the Spring Trail up to Penobscot Mountain trail. Beautiful mountain pond between Penobscot and Sargent mountains. Lots of scrambling and climbing make this trail interesting and fun. Oh and the views from the peaks are pretty amazing as well!

Daniel Golder
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 05 2019
Hiking

This was my favorite day in Acadia! If you're in good hiking shape and want to bang out a few of Acadia's crown jewels in one go, this is a great way to do it.

Stephen Myer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu May 23 2019
HikingBugsRockyScramble

Awesome trail! Great views from Penobscot and then Sergeant Mountain. The east cliff trail on the way down is pretty steep and intense, but then finishing off with a nice stroll around Jordan pond feels great.

Maayan Karstaedt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Sep 25 2018
Hiking

great hike, diverse scenary! started with arelax stroll close to the water and then started going up in the woods with bouncing squirlls accompanyjng us :) we missed the turn to mt. Sargent peek but got to penebscot peek instead and from there went down on cliffs trail. the downhill was very steep at part with supporting rails, not great on the knees but rocky and beatiful still. ended with lunch at pond house (do the grab and go not the restaurant!)

E Mac
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Aug 29 2018
Hiking

Great hike, the trails are well marked and very clean. There are some great photo ops of the surrounding are at the peak.

Haley Fledderjohann
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Jul 24 2018
Hiking

Would not try this trail when raining or following rain. It was slick in spots but hadn’t rained in 24hrs. Path was challenging and fun but not a lot sightseeing due to a lot of fog may be better on a clear day.

Sara Willey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jul 12 2018
Hiking

One of my favorite hikes. We started at the Jordan Pond house, went up the spring trail to Penobscot Mountain trail up to the summit, around Sargent Pond then up to the summit of Sargent Mountain and back down Deer Brook trail to Jordan Pond. Did this with my two kids (ages 6 & 8 - but well experienced hikers at that) and found it perfect. Good scramble at the beginning. Took us a little over 4 hours. Will definitely do again.

Melissa D
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jul 11 2018

Once you get on the trail and away from the pond, the hike is great! Trail is mostly rocks and has pretty steep incline in some places. View from the top is gorgeous!

Hannah Zirkelbach
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jun 28 2018

Can’t wait to hike!

John DeVault
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Nov 18 2017
Hiking

My favorite hike in Acadia. There’s some people but far less than many of the other trails. Great views.

Jim Zack
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Oct 13 2017
Hiking

This is a great loop for a half-day excursion. The walk around the east side of Jordan Pond is flat and smooth with clever drainage troughs which are easily hopped across. From the north end of the lake the trail to Sargent Mountain gets steep quickly and continues to grind until the bald summit block is reached. The climb from here to the cairn marking the highest point of the broad summit is easy. Once you break out of the trees and start climbing towards the summit, you might want to turn around to get a glimpse of Jordan Pond below. While the summit has great views, the flanks of the flat top prevent good 360-degree panoramas, but if you walk around the summit area, you can see in all directions including Cadillac Mountain to the east, Echo Lake and Bernard Mountain to the west, Trenton and the windfarm to the north, and of course, the open Atlantic Ocean and the islands off the coast to the south. From Mount Sargent, the hike continues to the south to Sargent Pond, before ascending back to the summit of Penobscot Mountain. Views from Penobscot are similar to those on Sargent; you need to move around to get a glimpse of Jordan Pond below. There are two options to return to the Jordan Pond House: the Ridge Trail and the Cliff Trail. The Ridge Trail from the summit is clearly marked, but we had difficulty finding the access to the Cliff Trail, and the access trail on All Trails map does not correspond with the blue blazes marking the descent to the junction of the Cliff Trail. (See https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recording/sargent-pond-and-major-cliff for GPS track of the descent to the Cliff Trail). The Cliff Trail is exhilarating with great exposure, Class 3+ scrambling, fixed iron rungs, and a narrow wooden staircase. Once the cliff face peters out, it is a simple walk off to the junction with the network of gravel carriage roads which lead back to the trailhead.

Zaynah Akeel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Aug 07 2017
Hiking

Went up on a super foggy day and it was still worth it - challenging but not impossible. If you do go up in the fog, I would recommend wearing a raincoat. And don't forget tea and popovers at Jordan Pond House as a reward at the end!

Christina Christina Bogdan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue May 30 2017

The hike was great, thoroughly enjoyed it. Not for someone looking for a quick hike, take your time and enjoy.