Jordan Cliffs Trail to Penobscot Mountain

Jordan Cliffs Trail to Penobscot Mountain is a 3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mount Desert, Maine that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from August until November.

Distance: 3.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,033 feet Route Type: Loop

Note: The Jordan Cliffs Trail across from the cliffs will be closed for extensive trail work, 7 am to 4:30 pm, each Monday through Thursday. The trail is open Fri-Sun. For more information, please see https://www.nps.gov/acad/planyourvisit/conditions.htm Please Note: Portions of this trail close for falcon nesting season (approximately mid April - mid-July). Non-Technical (rock scrambling, iron rungs & ladders), cliff-side hike along Penobscot's east face looking down on Jordan Pond.

Good route for experienced hikers on technical and cliff trails. Should give yourself plenty of time so you do not feel stressed about daylight. This is a trail with very exposed edges and potentially unsafe situations for non experienced or afraid of heights persons. It is even more challenging when wet so be cautious to navigate during dry season. There are other routes to get to the top of Penobscot that are easier and you still get to enjoy the awesome view!

closed

We took this on a Saturday in September when Jordan Cliffs was open. As a vertically challenged (in multiple senses) person, I struggled with some of the places where I had to pull myself up and where a wrong move would have been potentially deadly. It was challenging and beautiful.

Awesome hike! We started with the Penobscot trail to the summit. It was definitely a lot of stairs, some scrambling, iron rungs and side logs. It was challenging but a lot of fun- a little bit of everything Acadia in one hike. Views from the top were awesome! We could not take the Jordan Cliffs Trail as it closed from Monday-Thursday for maintenance (there were signs at the trail head and at the summit). We went down the Penobscot trail to Deer Brook Trail and headed back to the Jordon Pond Loop Trail. At least 4.25 miles and about 2:15. Definitely worth it!

awesome hike with grest views of Jordons pond amd the Atlantic. The hike down the cliffs were best part of the trail

Jordon Cliffs is now under renovation. Check times to hike with Park Services. It’s a fun but more difficult hike with ledges, iron rung ladders and hand rails and a very cool foot bridge. Lots of great views of rock slides, Pemetic Mountain, Jordon Pond and beyond. Going up to summit of Penobscot had amazing views!! You could see SW Harbor, NE Harbor, Baker Island, Islesford, Somes Sound, to name a few. You will not be disappointed!!

This is the most fun trail I’ve done in Acadia—but I haven’t done Precipice yet. Jordan Cliffs Trail is tricky in spots if you’re on the petite side. Appropriate shoes are a must because in a few places a slip could be a real problem. Stunning views when you can stop to enjoy them! Continued onto Penobscot Mountain Trail to the summit and back down.

So much fun! Definitely technical with cliffs, ladders, boulders and rungs. Views are awesome! Don’t do if wet. IMO best easier on the decent use Penobscot on ascent. If inexperienced take it slow and you will be fine. Worth it!

closed

Hiked to the top of Penobscot Mountain, and was looking forward to the hike down the other side by way of Jordan Cliffs; however, when we reached the trail head, it was closed. That was a bummer, but there were other trail heads to take right there. The trail is closed for the summer months through 15 August 2019 for the nesting of the peregrine falcons. ❤️

Fri Oct 12 2018

Challenging and fun hike! Careful doing this hike if it’s too wet and make sure to wear hiking shoes.

Sun Sep 23 2018

Hike is not too challenging from a vertical perspective but is definitely a narrow cliff side trail that has some tricky and dangerous spots that might not be welcome by all. Gorgeous views on the way up and back down. Recommendation would be start on the west side and hike up the cliff side and down the face.

Wed Sep 19 2018

The exposure of the cliff trail should not be understated. There are sections of this trail that ‘heights-challenged’ persons would struggle to complete. Better than average physical fitness is also a must- the climb down the Spring trail is very steep. The summit views are top-notch. I give it 3 stars only because I have no desire to do it again due to its exposure- a bad slip/trip would be fatal.

rock climbing
Mon Sep 17 2018

Great views. Strenuous climbing at times, but very rewarding.

Mon Sep 17 2018

Our family hiked the Jordan Cliff Trail the second week of August (just after reopening for the season). It's a great trail when the park is crowded. We saw few people along the trail as it is not near the larger towns on the island. I suggest you park your car at Jordan Pond House by 9 a.m. before it fills then hike the trails. We reserved a few months ahead for lunch at the Pond House restaurant for 3 p.m. which left us plenty of time to hike. Regarding the hike, there are a few ledges without rails and a narrow bridge but for this family that has little climbing experience, it was all very approachable

Wed Sep 05 2018

beautiful but def has some steep/narrow/gnarly spots take your time because 1) its beautiful and you'll want to look at everything and 2) some tricky climbs and scrambles

Sun Jul 08 2018

Trail closed until August due to Falcon nesting

Sat Nov 18 2017

A definite must hike if you’re spending any more than a few days at Acadia.

Thu Oct 19 2017

awesome trail with some gorgeous views...high steps and rungs. Challenging in places but worth the effort!

Fri Oct 13 2017

I did this trail clockwise so Penboscot trail first which was pretty much a vertical climb/continuous staircase which was a killer workout. Then it was a slow incline up the Penboscot open face mountain with epic 360 views of Acadia. Then it was a smooth descent down the Jordan Cliffs which was a nice view/overlook of the nearby lake. Highly recommend as this has some really epic views.

Sun Oct 08 2017

Great views of Jordan Pond and awesome geological features while hiking a fun cliffside iron rung & ladder trail that includes some rock scrambling and amazing root systems on the trail. Of the 3 ladder trails of Acadia, our family with teenagers enjoyed this one most.

Sun Oct 08 2017

Great hike. Nice views and great look outs.

Fri Oct 06 2017

Hiked this in the rain on a Friday late morning. Not too busy, the Jordan Cliffs trail was super fun, and the ridge hike down was really scenic with 270 degree views most of the way. My wife and I agree this was the best bike we did on our New England road trip.

Fri Sep 22 2017

I loved it but I've got over 20years of rock climbing experience. I can't believe I didn't have a harness on. We met a solo hike who was very nervous and needed a little encouragement. Also my husband got vertigo. Non of us regretted doing it but make sure you know what your in for. It was a clear day and the views were more than amazing (if you could bare to look at them without getting dizzy). I can't wait to go again.

Thu Aug 24 2017

Amazing!!

Mon Aug 14 2017

Amazing hike. I think for a more experienced hiker due to the cliffs. Views are incredible. Round Trip took 3.5 hours and I am a slower hiker. Lots of stops for views.

Sat Aug 05 2017

Intense. Add about 1/2 mile for a dip detour in Sargent Pond.