Jordan Cliffs Trail to Penobscot Mountain is a 3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mt Desert, Maine that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from August until November.

Non-Technical (rock scrambling, iron rungs & ladders), cliff-side hike along Penobscot's east face looking down on Jordan Pond. Please note portions of this trail close for falcon nesting season (approximately mid April - mid-July).

Challenging and fun hike! Careful doing this hike if it’s too wet and make sure to wear hiking shoes.

Hike is not too challenging from a vertical perspective but is definitely a narrow cliff side trail that has some tricky and dangerous spots that might not be welcome by all. Gorgeous views on the way up and back down. Recommendation would be start on the west side and hike up the cliff side and down the face.

The exposure of the cliff trail should not be understated. There are sections of this trail that ‘heights-challenged’ persons would struggle to complete. Better than average physical fitness is also a must- the climb down the Spring trail is very steep. The summit views are top-notch. I give it 3 stars only because I have no desire to do it again due to its exposure- a bad slip/trip would be fatal.

rock climbing

Great views. Strenuous climbing at times, but very rewarding.

Our family hiked the Jordan Cliff Trail the second week of August (just after reopening for the season). It's a great trail when the park is crowded. We saw few people along the trail as it is not near the larger towns on the island. I suggest you park your car at Jordan Pond House by 9 a.m. before it fills then hike the trails. We reserved a few months ahead for lunch at the Pond House restaurant for 3 p.m. which left us plenty of time to hike. Regarding the hike, there are a few ledges without rails and a narrow bridge but for this family that has little climbing experience, it was all very approachable

beautiful but def has some steep/narrow/gnarly spots
take your time because 1) its beautiful and you'll want to look at everything and 2) some tricky climbs and scrambles

Trail closed until August due to Falcon nesting

A definite must hike if you’re spending any more than a few days at Acadia.

Thursday, October 19, 2017

awesome trail with some gorgeous views...high steps and rungs. Challenging in places but worth the effort!

Friday, October 13, 2017

I did this trail clockwise so Penboscot trail first which was pretty much a vertical climb/continuous staircase which was a killer workout. Then it was a slow incline up the Penboscot open face mountain with epic 360 views of Acadia. Then it was a smooth descent down the Jordan Cliffs which was a nice view/overlook of the nearby lake. Highly recommend as this has some really epic views.

Sunday, October 08, 2017

Great views of Jordan Pond and awesome geological features while hiking a fun cliffside iron rung & ladder trail that includes some rock scrambling and amazing root systems on the trail. Of the 3 ladder trails of Acadia, our family with teenagers enjoyed this one most.

Sunday, October 08, 2017

Great hike. Nice views and great look outs.

Friday, October 06, 2017

Hiked this in the rain on a Friday late morning. Not too busy, the Jordan Cliffs trail was super fun, and the ridge hike down was really scenic with 270 degree views most of the way. My wife and I agree this was the best bike we did on our New England road trip.

Friday, September 22, 2017

I loved it but I've got over 20years of rock climbing experience. I can't believe I didn't have a harness on. We met a solo hike who was very nervous and needed a little encouragement. Also my husband got vertigo. Non of us regretted doing it but make sure you know what your in for. It was a clear day and the views were more than amazing (if you could bare to look at them without getting dizzy). I can't wait to go again.

Thursday, August 24, 2017

Amazing!!

Monday, August 14, 2017

Amazing hike. I think for a more experienced hiker due to the cliffs. Views are incredible. Round Trip took 3.5 hours and I am a slower hiker. Lots of stops for views.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Intense. Add about 1/2 mile for a dip detour in Sargent Pond.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Definitely a steep climb in either direction, but the views are killer!

Monday, July 17, 2017

if u have a problem with heights this is not for u

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Great hike! The only thing was that on the way back on the loop; the Jordan Cliffs trail section with the fixed iron rungs was closed due to falcon nesting. We ended up continuing down a different trail down the mountain to Jordan pond and walked the path around the pond back to the parking lot. It ended up being a lot longer hike but it was definitely worth it. Plenty of beautiful scenery.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

We did this in reverse, and stopped at Sargent Pond. Probably my favorite of our trip. It was absolutely beautiful.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

A park ranger recommended this hike to us, as we were looking for something interesting. We ended up hiking to the top of Sargent Mountain from here, back down Deer Brook. This hike offers amazing views, boulder scrambling and narrow trail with steep drop offs. The iron rung sections are definitely challenging, but doable with careful hand/foot placement. Not a trail if you have a fear of heights or for the very young. Our 11 and 14 year olds scramble up just fine. Just be aware of your party's abilities and comfort level. Highly recommend this great hike!

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Awesome views. if you've done the beehive this reminds me of an endurance version of it.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Fantastic trail. A lot more challenging rock scrambles than some of the other trails in the area. Beautiful 360* views once you get up to the top. Some of the ledges are narrow and it does require some upper body strength but all in all it was a great hike.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Great trail. Great views.

Friday, October 02, 2015

Awesome climb to the top. Sheer cliffs and iron rung portions. Beautiful cut offs and peak views. Suggest taking the smooth slipping way down.

Monday, September 29, 2014

Great, but scary, hike. For those of us who struggle with heights and ledges, but choose to push through, this is a challenging trail. One finds himself/herself on a ledge perched high on a cliff-face about halfway up the trail. The trail is well maintained and very safe, but I had to make sure not to look down too often!

Friday, October 18, 2013

This trail is not for the faint of heart. nor the out of shape. It is consists of a lot of rock scrambling and a little bit of climbing. There are also some good drop offs beside the trail. Really enjoyed the hike, but it is definitely a moderate to strenuous trail. I imagine the views are terrific from this trail, but we were pretty socked in with clouds.

Sunday, September 22, 2013

This is a great climb/hike if you like non-technical climbing. This is on my top 5 list of all time favorite trails. The ocean and lake views are amazing. This trail is very diverse with everything from rock scrambing, to ladders and bridges.

Friday, September 13, 2013

One of my favor hiking trails in Acadia national park! Part of the trail is steep climbing. But you will be rewarded with great view, Jordon pond is always in your view and ocean view in distance! It has few challenge spots. But its much relax compare to precipice trail.