Jordan Cliffs Trail to Penobscot Mountain

Jordan Cliffs Trail to Penobscot Mountain is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mt Desert, Maine that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until October.

Non-Technical (rock scrambling, iron rungs & ladders), cliff-side hike along Penobscot's east face looking down on Jordan Pond.

A definite must hike if you’re spending any more than a few days at Acadia.

awesome trail with some gorgeous views...high steps and rungs. Challenging in places but worth the effort!

I did this trail clockwise so Penboscot trail first which was pretty much a vertical climb/continuous staircase which was a killer workout. Then it was a slow incline up the Penboscot open face mountain with epic 360 views of Acadia. Then it was a smooth descent down the Jordan Cliffs which was a nice view/overlook of the nearby lake. Highly recommend as this has some really epic views.

Great views of Jordan Pond and awesome geological features while hiking a fun cliffside iron rung & ladder trail that includes some rock scrambling and amazing root systems on the trail. Of the 3 ladder trails of Acadia, our family with teenagers enjoyed this one most.

Great hike. Nice views and great look outs.

Hiked this in the rain on a Friday late morning. Not too busy, the Jordan Cliffs trail was super fun, and the ridge hike down was really scenic with 270 degree views most of the way. My wife and I agree this was the best bike we did on our New England road trip.

I loved it but I've got over 20years of rock climbing experience. I can't believe I didn't have a harness on. We met a solo hike who was very nervous and needed a little encouragement. Also my husband got vertigo. Non of us regretted doing it but make sure you know what your in for. It was a clear day and the views were more than amazing (if you could bare to look at them without getting dizzy). I can't wait to go again.

Amazing!!

Amazing hike. I think for a more experienced hiker due to the cliffs. Views are incredible. Round Trip took 3.5 hours and I am a slower hiker. Lots of stops for views.

Intense. Add about 1/2 mile for a dip detour in Sargent Pond.

Definitely a steep climb in either direction, but the views are killer!

if u have a problem with heights this is not for u

Great hike! The only thing was that on the way back on the loop; the Jordan Cliffs trail section with the fixed iron rungs was closed due to falcon nesting. We ended up continuing down a different trail down the mountain to Jordan pond and walked the path around the pond back to the parking lot. It ended up being a lot longer hike but it was definitely worth it. Plenty of beautiful scenery.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

We did this in reverse, and stopped at Sargent Pond. Probably my favorite of our trip. It was absolutely beautiful.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

A park ranger recommended this hike to us, as we were looking for something interesting. We ended up hiking to the top of Sargent Mountain from here, back down Deer Brook. This hike offers amazing views, boulder scrambling and narrow trail with steep drop offs. The iron rung sections are definitely challenging, but doable with careful hand/foot placement. Not a trail if you have a fear of heights or for the very young. Our 11 and 14 year olds scramble up just fine. Just be aware of your party's abilities and comfort level. Highly recommend this great hike!

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Awesome views. if you've done the beehive this reminds me of an endurance version of it.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Fantastic trail. A lot more challenging rock scrambles than some of the other trails in the area. Beautiful 360* views once you get up to the top. Some of the ledges are narrow and it does require some upper body strength but all in all it was a great hike.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Great trail. Great views.

Friday, October 02, 2015

Awesome climb to the top. Sheer cliffs and iron rung portions. Beautiful cut offs and peak views. Suggest taking the smooth slipping way down.

Monday, September 29, 2014

Great, but scary, hike. For those of us who struggle with heights and ledges, but choose to push through, this is a challenging trail. One finds himself/herself on a ledge perched high on a cliff-face about halfway up the trail. The trail is well maintained and very safe, but I had to make sure not to look down too often!