Hunt Trail

Hunt Trail is a 9.3 mile out and back trail located near Millinocket, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Millinocket, ME: Travel approximately 15 miles north on SR 11 to reach the Togue Pond Gate. Bear left and travel about 7 - 9 miles to the Katahdin Stream Campground. Begin on Owl Trail which forks onto Hunt Trail.

the best hike I've been on not for the faint of heart it is very difficult but well worth every step can't wait to go back.

I made it to the summit of Mt. Katahdin yesterday by Abol trail, which is shorter than hunt trail but steeper! I went down by hunt trail, which has unbelievably breathtaking views! Next time I would try to climb up by hunt trail as well as try to taste the happiness of walking at Knife edge.! :-)

Challenging but unforgettable!

Stayed at the Penobscot outdoor center and drove into Baxter State Park early in the morning. Beautiful hike with quick, jaw-dropping views. Difficult area that involved a bit of boulder scrambling right before you reach the upper plateau before the summit.

Tough and rewarding although the mountain was fogbound for most of our trek. The first mile elevates slowly through the forest and then begins the "ups". Rock staircases lead to boulder climbs and then more rock "ups". When you reach the plateau you are only a mile to go.
We descended the Abol which was through a precipitous rock slide. The wet weather slowed us down as we were being extra careful. My colleague completed the entire AT with this hike so, it was especially memorable.

Great hike, even though had to turn back before reaching summit due to difficulty for one in my party. It's definitely a tough, but rewarding hike. Looking forward to returning to finish.

We hiked the Hunt trail up to the top of Katahdin late July, 2017. The trail was pretty flat at first, turning into bouldering after about a mile. With the exception of one or two places, the bouldering was mostly non-technical, but one cannot pick up much speed either. It took my husband and I about 4 hours to get to the top. My teenager sons got up there in 3 hours. It was a lot of fun. We took the Abul trail down, which took us about 3 hours (and 2 hours for the boys). I would recommend that loop. We had the boys getting the car for us at Hunt trail head, which was about 2.3 miles away from the Abul trail head. Note that you need to reserve a parking permit to hike Katahdin. We did not do that but got there at 5:00am to wait in line (we were second in line). The park has some parking permit spots available to give out to people like us.

An unforgettable journey. As others have said it's more exposed then I initially thought and I really liked that.

I thought it was a very nice trail, however many of the other people were dehydrated and cramping up. So I recommend that you bring plenty of water, and a water filter.

This trail was the hardest hike I've done to date, and I've hiked in almost every national park in the US. You need to be prepared before embarking on this - bring plenty of liquids and enough snacks to keep up your energy because you will need it! The first mile or so is pretty easy but things pick up quick after that. A long section of going uphill and boulders, then some climbing up a steep section using rungs, then a really intense section climbing up a steep peak, etc. Every time you think you've made it, you realize there is more. But once you get to the peak, you will feel amazing! The views are incredible! And going back down isn't all that easy either!

Amazing trail, amazing views! Lots of bouldering and a bit exposed although many in my party liked that part.

Well maintained trail. NOT a trail for first time hikers. Plan on a lot of scrambling at the top. I recommend making sure you have layers!