Hunt Trail

Hunt Trail is a 9.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Millinocket, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Millinocket, ME: Travel approximately 15 miles north on SR 11 to reach the Togue Pond Gate. Bear left and travel about 7 - 9 miles to the Katahdin Stream Campground. Begin on Owl Trail which forks onto Hunt Trail.

Absolutely amazing trail, with a variety of landscapes. You start off on a fairly flat section through the woods along the stream. At about 1 mile in you will get to the beautiful falls. From there the incline picks up as you will climb hundreds of stone steps. After a reprieve from the steps, it levels off a bit before the boulders.

The boulders start just about at the tree line. After climbing the boulders you’ll get to the gateway, a steep rock scramble. If the weather is good, you’ll get some amazing views starting here. I thought the summit would be just after this point, but don’t be fooled. You still have a ways to go. Luckily after the gateway you get to the tablelands which is a pretty flat for the most part, and a surreal alpine landscape.

Finally there is the last push to the top, with sweeping views.

This hike is very challenging. Be ready for a long day. It is just an incredible experience and I highly recommend it be on any hikers bucket list. Baxter State Park is an absolute must see for anyone visiting Maine.

Read Katt Bernu's post from June 2018 for a good description. This was an awesome hike of a kind I've not seen elsewhere in the Northeast! I brought mechanic's gloves that had a protective, grippy palm, and I was very glad I had them for all the boulder climbing.

Amazing work out! 5 of us on June 15th stayed at the NEOC hiked up early to get a good head start. This reminded me of my hikes in Colorado a bit with all the boulders. 3 AT finishers today on the trail. Beautiful weather great views!!

Absolutely loved this hike and how much it challenged me! I spent a lot of time climbing mountains in Colorado and this one doesn't even compare, it's a whole different challenge. We got a great day on May 31st, maybe a little warm but at least you could see all the views at the top and along the way! The trail starts out more gradual for about a mile until you cross the stream. Then it gets steeper as you start to hit stone steps and you have about a mile of that interlaced with larger boulders as you get higher up. Around mile 3 you begin to hit the boulder field but it doesn't really start until after you cross a series of bars hammered into some of the rocks. *If you're considering turning around or questioning your stamina, mental/physical endurance, etc, I'd say this is the last easy place to do so. Once you get past the bars, it could be awkward to get back over them and the boulder fields afterwards take up a lot of energy to both ascend and descend. There's 4 of those, some look difficult and scary since this part is pretty exposed and has some steep looking views but I'm pretty short (5'3") and was able to navigate them on my own! Once you pass that be prepared for a mile of climbing basically straight up large boulders. Gloves would have been helpful in this section so your hands have some protection against the granite and shoes with good traction are a must! There's a "false summit" here, you get to the top of the first boulder section only to see another one right in front of you equally as long and steep and maybe a little more exposed/scary feeling. Take your time to place your feet and hands, go slow and you'll be fine! After this second climbing scramble you make it to the tabletop and the Spring/intersection and the hike to the summit is a relatively easy mile from there! The trail is still very rocky but it's pretty flat with just a gradual incline at the last couple hundred feet to the summit which is the first bump you see from the junction, not the second. Bring LOTS of water especially on warm days as there's really nothing above treeline since the spring is basically not there. I had 4 liters plus a Gatorade and I wish I had one more liter. Sunscreen, layers, and a hat to protect your face from the sun are all must haves on this mountain! It's an absolutely incredible hike, definitely one that you should not underestimate. Expect to be out there for 8-10hrs (varies depending on fitness), expect climbing, steep exposed areas, and beautiful views! Overall I loved this challenge and the incredible feeling of accomplishment but I'm glad I'd had a few months of strength and endurance training as well as some scrambling experience before I attempted this climb!

I stayed at Katahdin Stream Campground with my best friend and her cousin during our trip to Maine last month. I was in no way prepared, at least mentally, for the hike we would be embarking on. I love hiking and often go to local trails near my home in south central PA, but I’ve never boulder scrambled or been so challenged before in my life. I’m 20, but I’m definitely not in the best shape and was very nervous for the hike. My best friend planned our entire trip, and made sure I was well prepared for the trek. We all brought about 3 liters of water, food, extra socks, gloves, and layers. We hiked up the Hunt (AT) trail, which we started up around 6:40 on October 16th. The last thing we wanted was to get stuck climbing down the mountain in the dark, but bringing a headlamp or flashlight is a necessity for anyone attempting this hike anyway. But, definitely start early to have as much daylight as you possibly can. My hiking partners were both aware of my abilities, as I was of theirs, and we took breaks and took it slow when needed. There was a very scary point during our ascent though. During the mile long stretch of steep rock scrambling, it got quite foggy and windy and I began wondering whether it was worth it. I was actually scared for my life and in tears at one point, and I began realizing we’d have to not only go up this trail, but also come down it. Along the way, we met many other hikers, all of whom said they’d be taking the Abol trail down to avoid the harsh wind hitting the Hunt trail, so we’d decided to do the same. Every time we thought we must be near the peak, there were more rocks to climb. But, after what seemed like forever, we finally saw it. We reached Baxter Peak in about 5.5/6 hours. All 3 of us had a thin layer of ice on the left side of our bodies, our hair was frozen, and my nose ring definitely had ice hanging from it. It couldn’t have been more than 10 degrees F at the summit, maybe even less with the wind chill. But after all the climbing, we definitely weren’t cold. The fog did clear for us a bit and the sun was shining at the summit, and a wonderful older gentlemen that we met on the way up actually waited for us to take our picture with the sign. I then took his picture, which was special as this was his final trek on the AT. We took in the amazing views before beginning our descent down the Abol trail, which was steeper than Hunt, but not nearly as windy. It was still terrifying for me, but we took our time as there are many loose rocks down this trail. We completed our hike at Abol Campground at 4:30, well before sunset. The hour long walk on the dirt road back to our campsite was nothing after what we’d just accomplished. I definitely would’ve preferred better weather for our hike, but we could’ve had it much worse. I recommend this to anyone looking for gorgeous views and an exhilarating experience in Maine’s largest wilderness. Definitely do your research on the trails available, know your abilities and limits, and listen to the weather forecast as well. If you prepare and pack well, you’ll have an amazing experience climbing Mt. Katahdin. I can’t wait to come back to Baxter State Park and hike some more!

the best hike I've been on not for the faint of heart it is very difficult but well worth every step can't wait to go back.

I made it to the summit of Mt. Katahdin yesterday by Abol trail, which is shorter than hunt trail but steeper! I went down by hunt trail, which has unbelievably breathtaking views! Next time I would try to climb up by hunt trail as well as try to taste the happiness of walking at Knife edge.! :-)

Challenging but unforgettable!

Stayed at the Penobscot outdoor center and drove into Baxter State Park early in the morning. Beautiful hike with quick, jaw-dropping views. Difficult area that involved a bit of boulder scrambling right before you reach the upper plateau before the summit.

Monday, August 14, 2017

Tough and rewarding although the mountain was fogbound for most of our trek. The first mile elevates slowly through the forest and then begins the "ups". Rock staircases lead to boulder climbs and then more rock "ups". When you reach the plateau you are only a mile to go.
We descended the Abol which was through a precipitous rock slide. The wet weather slowed us down as we were being extra careful. My colleague completed the entire AT with this hike so, it was especially memorable.

Monday, August 07, 2017

Great hike, even though had to turn back before reaching summit due to difficulty for one in my party. It's definitely a tough, but rewarding hike. Looking forward to returning to finish.

Thursday, August 03, 2017

We hiked the Hunt trail up to the top of Katahdin late July, 2017. The trail was pretty flat at first, turning into bouldering after about a mile. With the exception of one or two places, the bouldering was mostly non-technical, but one cannot pick up much speed either. It took my husband and I about 4 hours to get to the top. My teenager sons got up there in 3 hours. It was a lot of fun. We took the Abul trail down, which took us about 3 hours (and 2 hours for the boys). I would recommend that loop. We had the boys getting the car for us at Hunt trail head, which was about 2.3 miles away from the Abul trail head. Note that you need to reserve a parking permit to hike Katahdin. We did not do that but got there at 5:00am to wait in line (we were second in line). The park has some parking permit spots available to give out to people like us.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

An unforgettable journey. As others have said it's more exposed then I initially thought and I really liked that.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

I thought it was a very nice trail, however many of the other people were dehydrated and cramping up. So I recommend that you bring plenty of water, and a water filter.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

This trail was the hardest hike I've done to date, and I've hiked in almost every national park in the US. You need to be prepared before embarking on this - bring plenty of liquids and enough snacks to keep up your energy because you will need it! The first mile or so is pretty easy but things pick up quick after that. A long section of going uphill and boulders, then some climbing up a steep section using rungs, then a really intense section climbing up a steep peak, etc. Every time you think you've made it, you realize there is more. But once you get to the peak, you will feel amazing! The views are incredible! And going back down isn't all that easy either!

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Amazing trail, amazing views! Lots of bouldering and a bit exposed although many in my party liked that part.

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Well maintained trail. NOT a trail for first time hikers. Plan on a lot of scrambling at the top. I recommend making sure you have layers!

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Great finish to the AT trail.

Saturday, September 17, 2016

this was the most intense hike I have ever experienced couldn't have been better with Mark, Greg, and Jeff.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Great views, and because it's part of the AT you get to see hikers finishing it up. Have to climb up some boulders and use rails, which makes it more exciting.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Grate time don't recommend taking your 3 year old

Friday, October 30, 2015

One of the most difficult and terrifying trails I've ever hiked, but also one of the most rewarding! Boulder scrambling, handrails, precipitous drops, tableland, and gorgeous views from the top.
Very sore legs at the bottom. A demanding 10 mile round trip.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

This was a beautiful way up Mt. Katahdin, but since I had expected to climb Chimney/Saddle, I found this one much more challenging than I'd planned. Our group actually climbed down the other side (Chimney/Saddle) and had our ride meet us there.

Friday, August 22, 2014

The Hunt trail is apart of the AT, wicked cool hiking along others who are completing the long journey. I loved the challenge of rock climbing up and down this trail. It gives nice breaks after many steep parts. They waterfall was also very enjoyable to see twice. Katahdin filled me with emotion and pride.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

This trail and mountain will test you both physically and mentally. You will have nice views up to the sub-alpine. Then you will boulder up the ridge where you'll have breathtaking views on the way to the tablelands. When I arrived at the tablelands, for me, it was a bit emotional because the scenery was just so beautiful. From here you still have about 1.5 mi to the summit. It is fairly flat most of the way. This trail is tougher than Tuckerman Ravine. Helpful Hint: You may want to make a reservation at Katahdin Stream Campground (bring a water purifier).

Sunday, September 09, 2012

Demanding hike with views and scenery that are hard to beat.