Hedgehog Mountain Trail

Hedgehog Mountain Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Freeport, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and snowshoeing. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Mountain is really a hill, but looks like a lot of trails. More than 5 miles worth

Peaceful woodsy trail, seemed like a short hike and I'm not sure we found the summit, but maybe we weren't really on the main trail. Also must remember to wear blaze orange in fall and winter months, as there's hunting permitted here.

We have hiked at Hedgehog Mountain a few times over the years but it has been quite some time since our last trip. One nice surprise was a second network of trails across the road from the original Hedgehog Mountain trails. (We did not happen to try these today, as it was getting late as we started but we plan to hike them next time.)

This time, we took the half-mile trail directly to the summit. This trail winds through a beautiful mixed growth forest, with switchbacks gently winding their way to the foot of the hill. From there, you can take a short, mildly steep trail directly to the summit. It really is an easy hike but increases in steepness fairly quickly. There is a nice spot at the top of the hill with a bench and decent look out over the treetops toward nearby Bradbury Mountain.

There is a loop trail that heads down the back of the hill, as well. This route connects to several trails leading and looping back toward the trailhead. We happened to hike the Stone Wall Trail and an out and back on the Foundation Trail on our way back to where we started.

As I said before, there are many options for all abilities at Hedgehog Mountain, including some new ones. I can hardly wait to go back!

Good little hike. The summit is only 1/2 from parking area, but there is s good network of trails linked into this area. We hiked for about an hour and didn't have to re trace our path much. Very good signage of trails. Well maintained. Quite and peaceful. We brought Harvey (dog) and Charlie (10 month old son) and both loved it.

I'd prefer this hike over Bradbury most days: much less people, easier to park, no fee. The "view" from hedgehog is less than Bradbury, but the total experience is more peaceful.

Great fun with our four legged buddies. Really only passed one person so this truly is lightly travelled. Great weather played a role. These trails look like they could be messy right after a rain event or really early spring.

Beautiful wooded walk. The colors of autumn, the sunlight filtering through the leaves, and the wide trails were wonderful. There was quite a bit of traffic noise, but overall one of my favorites so far!

Saturday, August 27, 2016

This little trail system was short and sweet. There is a nice surprise lookout on one end of the loop. I sat and enjoyed the view while a woodpecker foraged. Beautiful green glow through the leaves in the late morning sun of summertime.

Friday, August 26, 2016

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Great little surprise near Freeport. Not that strenuous as a hike, but a great place to get out for a good regular woods walk or well kept enough for trail running. Some nice deep ravine views and a good little summit payoff view. Several well marked and maintained trails to choose from and combine for various distance/effort levels. Just across 295 from downtown and has some background noise, but visually feels miles away.
As another reviewer said, road off SR126 is marked as "Hedgehog Mountain Road", not Landfill Road.

geocaching
Wednesday, August 10, 2016

I love this spot for taking my dog on a nice hike. I have returned here just for him. A few geocaches here too.

Sunday, August 07, 2016