Gulf Hagas Trail

Gulf Hagas Trail is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Greenville, Maine that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.5 miles Elevation Gain: 977 feet Route Type: Loop

fee

There is a fee to take this hike. As of June 2019, it is $15 for an out-of-state resident.

Wonderful trail. The Grand Canyon of Maine. Only complaint was I’ve been here before an only had to pay $10 last week they wanted $30 only had $20 on us an the lady at the gate let us slide.

fee

Beautiful hike that is worth the effort--but it is an effort. Some portions of the trail are more strenuous than moderate, but the tote road on the return loop is fairly easy. most of the trail is well marked, but a few sections where the conditions are trickier are not so well marked-- we had to hunt around to get back on the trail a couple times. The views are fantastic and the staff at the registration station very helpful. Overall a wonderful day.

We happened to have planned this hike on the hottest weekend of the year, but luckily the many spots by the river helped cool off. The swimming holes were very nice and refreshing. It was pretty muddy in some spots. We ended up camping, after completing the loop, and saw a mother moose and her calf swimming in the pond in the left on the way to the campsites. Over all a great hike in our books.

This was a good hike with some fantastic views but I’m not sure I would do it again. I came in from the Greenville side so that I could use the bridge to cross the river. The total loop is 8.2 miles but we stopped at every falls, view point and lookout that was suggested so the total was more like 12.5 miles and 8.5 hours. We started on the Rim Trail. Other reviews mentioned the exposed roots and rocks but it was seriously underestimated. The area had heavy rain the previous night so it made hiking over those roots and rocks very difficult and it was muddy...very muddy! Both trails had wood planks in an effort to make crossing the mud easier but I didn’t feel they were well maintained and were wet and slippery. I felt constantly having to watch my footing took away from the pleasure of hiking the beautiful area. I will admit to falling on more than one occasion (and once calf deep in the mud) and I was wearing very good hiking boots. I also felt there were a lot of viewpoints and overlooks that could have been bypassed. They were nice but not impressive so if time and distance are an issue skip them and the Hammond Street Pitch. We returned on the Pleasant Pond Road (Tote Road). It was a very easy trail with minimal mud and a slight steady elevation. I was given a map that was very helpful when I paid my $10 fee at the gate. If I go again, I will go in from Greenville but only hike the Rim Trail to the Buttermilk Falls, then take the crossover path to the Pleasant Pond Road and back. The most impressive sights were at the beginning.

Been on my hit list for a long time and I must say it was well worth the wait. We were able to complete the entire rim trail as well checking out all the viewpoints and it took us seven hours. Some portions of the trail are dangerously close to the edge of the rim so be careful if you have kids in tow. I would say the rim trail is moderate but the the Pleasant River road is easy. Therefore, tackling it in a clockwise fashion is recommended so you can take the easy route back. Families could do easy see great sights by doing the beginning or the end, which both are two miles in and out for a total of four. Overall well worth the wait and the work!!

Great hike! As other reviewers recommended we went counter clockwise doing the Rim trail up and the Tote trail back. We used water shoes to cross the river, which is 0.2 miles from the trailhead, then stashed them by the river so we wouldn’t have to carry them on the hike. The rocks, especially the larger ones, are really slippery, so step on the smaller ones for better traction. I agree with the Moderate rating on this trail, although a few spots along the Rim trail are difficult. The hike back along Tote is super fast and fairly easy. We met a few through hikers on the AT, which was cool. All in all a great hike. I do have to condemn whatever A holes left a disposable baby diaper near the trail.

great hike, hard to get to depending upon season. amazing views waterfalls everywhere. not a strenuous hike.

Loved it!!!

What a great way to end the summer for this teacher and her son!! We went in on the Brownville side. Screw Auger was gorgeous as ever and running well considering it's the last week of August. Hiking The Jaws was fun but time consuming. The height of the trail throughout those miles was impressive, although you didn't have many views of the river below, (there are great places to see it here and there, but it's a tease to hear it and not see it a lot!). The many, manu falls at the top were fabulous. We plan to return next summer, go in through the Greenville side, and explore those waterfalls much closer!! we had to keep moving. With my son it took 8.25 hours to do the whole loop and my GPS said it was 7.1 miles. My kids was tired and very footsore but glad I talked him into it!!

always an annual hike.BRING water shoes to cross the river at the start and end. feels great after a long day hiking. with so many view points it takes longer than u may expect.clockwise to start for views and easier trail on way out for tired hikers. worth every step.

This trail was through very pretty woods. Good spots to stop and have lunch or take a swim under the falls on a hot day. Fees for anyone under 18 years old is free. Adults over 18 are $15 per person, not per car. I would recommend water shoes for crossing the river. It is right at the beginning of the trail, so you can leave your car with water shoes on and switch to your hiking shoes after you cross. This is a moderate trail with a steady incline. My kids (ages 11,12 and 14) did 6 miles without a problem. There are some steep drop offs at the lookouts however, so it may not be best for very young children.

Great trail. Strenuous enough to make you feel like you accomplished something, but not so difficult that you’re exhausted after. Bring water shoes as you’ll have at least one place to walk through water up to your knees. Very slippery! We had to do that at Screw Auger falls as well because of the rain and water levels being high. Definitely take the rim trail up, keeping in mind that it is significantly more strenuous and involves more scrambling over roots and rocks. It was raining the day we did it so that created a lot of slippery situations. We then took the Pleasant River road (still a trail not a road) back down. Some of the labeled viewpoints have become overgrown and are not necessarily worth the extra walk off the trail. The one at Screw Auger Falls is worth it. Many of the others the view is no better than the trail itself. Make sure to bring a towel and bathing suit so you can swim and climb through some of the rapids at the end!

This was a nice hike that isn’t too strenuous but gives nice views. HOWEVER, many magazines and even the park itself says that this is the Grand Canyon of Maine. It is not. It is a river walk. The Grand Canyon is 277 miles long and 1 mile deep. This hike is 8 miles long and 50 feet deep. Please do not expect the Grand Canyon like I did. If you want a nice hike go to Gulf Hagas, but if you want the Grand Canyon go to Arizona... but keep in mind still super fun and pretty :)

LOVED IT!. Agree with others that if you are thinking this is the grand canyon you have been misinformed and will be disappointed, but it is an amazing river hike with multiple waterfalls along the trail, as the river moves through a deep gorge. We crossed the river (which was low and easy to cross this day, but I am sure it can be interesting in the Spring). I had hiking sticks which I found very useful, for the entire hike. There were a few staffs at the trailhead (left by trail management?) that could be borrowed to cross the river today. First leg of the hike is on the AT unitl you hit the rim trail. I would considering this moderate as others have, not too much elevation, but it is an 8-9 mile hike with rocky/heavily rooted terrain - bring pleny of liquids. You can take a few specific cut-offs to shorten the route if you want. Trail is very well marked and easy to follow, aspects can be very slippery when wet (we saw one injured individual on the trail who threw out her shoulder with a fall, and I took quite a digger myself at one point). We went up the Rim Trail which is the recommended route, and returned on the tote road. Nothing much to see on the tote road back. It is a much easier portion of the hike and we cruised back quickly (easily 1/2 the time) to get out before sunset, but it is still a hike in the forest and not a "road." We managed to get through without a significant bug problem (0 bites with deep woods deet), but I consider us very lucky in this regard, as I imagine it can be terrible on a bad day. Other things to obviously be aware of 15$ PER PERSON. The dirt road up through the area from Kathadin Iron Works is fairly rough to the trailhead. Not a problem for SUV's but glad we weren't in a smaller car.

A great hike. Just about 9 miles in 6 hrs with scenic stops along the way. Waterfalls are wonderful and trails are well marked. Rim Trail has its challenges but the Pleasant River Tote Trail is easy. Perfect time of year-no mosquitoes and great temp. Our All Trails Ap was helpful and extremely accurate.

LOVED this trail! We did it July 20th and despite it being the hottest day in Maine this summer, the Rim Trail didn’t feel too hot as we were right next to the river. Lots of places to put our feet in and we went swimming at two different pools. Could’ve swam at a third at Stair Falls, but we took the Tote trail back. It was hotter and buggier in the woods (as should be expected), but we moved MUCH faster. We camped at Pleasant River West Brook #8. Not great river access, but we could get down there to cool off. Great site with a porter potty nearby. We saw moose in the evening on the way back to camp. It was a great experience overall and I will definitely go back. It was cool to hike part of the AT in the process. When fording the river at the beginning, it was super low because of low rainfall the last week or so. I can see how dangerous it could be if it rained much more as the current was strong. The trail was dry for the most part and I just can’t sing this trail’s praises enough! It is a popular trail and we hiked among about 15 others as we went along until we hit the swimming hole at Map Point #7. I think many turned back at this point, but we continued onto Map Point #8 and only saw two or three others for the rest of the afternoon. Give yourself PLENTY of time and water to do this trail. We were out there for 8+ hours, going down every viewpoint trail and swimming as long as we wanted to cool down. It was great and I was glad we were camping nearby so that we didn’t have to rush anywhere.