Gulf Hagas Trail

Gulf Hagas Trail is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Greenville, Maine that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Brownville Junction, ME: Travel SR 11 north for approximately 5.5 miles. The road will fork; you will bear left. A sign to the Iron Works designates the route. Travel this gravel road 6.8 miles to the Iron Works. Cross over the West Branch bridge and make a right at the first road. Travel 3.5 miles to the fork, bear left and cross another bridge over West Branch. Travel several miles until you cross the West Branch a third time. You will see a small pull-off on the left. The trail begins here.

Did a wonderful hike in October. It was beautiful and the weather was perfect!

Beautiful hike and the Rim trail is a must do, be sure to have a map or an understanding of the trails. Got lost towards the end and ended up lost in the dark. Thanks god for the very kind Appalachian hiker that found us lost and guided us almost a mile to where we could find our way. Did an 11 mile hike and would go again but plan better. Absolutely gorgeous and scenic. Loved it!!

What a phenomenal, scenic hike and swim. These are some of the coolest waterfalls I've ever seen, and swimming in them on a hot day was amazing. The trail is rated hard, but only constitutes that for a few sections of scramble. Upper body strength and stable footing is required to get back OUT of a few of the falls, but beyond that, a totally pleasant, moderate hike.

Will definitely be back with friends.

Nice challenging trail!

My 8 year old said "this is too easy". We were worried to bring the kids because other reviews said it was a really difficult hike and kids would have trouble. Views were less than spectacular. Don't waste the $12 per adult to take this walk in the woods.

Amazing trail. Rim trail follows along the edge of the gorge leading to one amazing view after another of the many waterfalls and drop offs. This trail is a must!

Amazing. Good, cold, and refreshing swimming at the end.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Awesome

Monday, July 13, 2015

Friday, July 03, 2015

Great trail

Friday, June 19, 2015

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Absolutely beautiful hike! Well worth the 9 hours drive for me. The trail was well maintained, clearly marked, and had amazing views! I thought the $2 map was a waste of money considering there are so many signs not to mention you can print the map for free online, see link. Already planning my next trip up there!

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Great hike! Would agree this is a moderate hike- Challenging on the way up, with varying terrain, but a rather easy climb down. Somewhat of a drive to get to the trail-head (it took us just over 2 hours from the east side of Moosehead Lake), but the trail has Beautiful scenery that continues to get better as you climb! It makes the drive and hike well worthwhile. We did have to remove our shoes to cross water at 3 separate places, so be prepared! I would not recommend this for children or dogs.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

We hiked this backward as to get the falls on the way back. I wouldn't say this is a difficult hike unless you go after it has rained and/or when there is snow. It is moderate. It was a great hike! The falls especially billings falls are great! I would not recommend taking children because it is slippery and close to the edge. The water is a bit cold when we went (5.24.14). I would say bring a pair of tevas and either leave them after the first crossing or carry them outside. If you don't have great balance or are going barefoot across the river I would get a walking stick to stabilize yourself. I saw 2 people lose their shoes because they were barefoot and carrying their shoes in their hand. (I would suggest not carrying your shoes in your hand but throw them around your neck or tie them to your bag tightly!) It is definitely a hike you have to do in Maine!