Gulf Hagas Trail

Gulf Hagas Trail is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Greenville, Maine that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Brownville Junction, ME: Travel SR 11 north for approximately 5.5 miles. The road will fork; you will bear left. A sign to the Iron Works designates the route. Travel this gravel road 6.8 miles to the Iron Works. Cross over the West Branch bridge and make a right at the first road. Travel 3.5 miles to the fork, bear left and cross another bridge over West Branch. Travel several miles until you cross the West Branch a third time. You will see a small pull-off on the left. The trail begins here.

Excellent hike, Rim trail was rough terrain, though the view was well worth it. My 13 year old daughter hiked alongside me and loved it as well.

Nice hike. First half along the gorge was likely more rugged due to heavy rain the night before. Tour of Katadhin Iron Works and a moose sighting was a bonus!

Amazing, worth the pain and sweat!

Very nice, long hike, with spectacular views of the gulf. Albeit high season, not as trafficked as expected. By afternoon we were almost alone in the back part of the trail. Last bit that is not in the Alltrails trail is worth it if you have some more energy. Not as difficult terrain as previously.

We did this as a day hike out from little lyford on snowshoes. Conditions were icy and at times we were a little nervous about getting through certain areas with my mom and our dog. That being said we all made it back safely. As you can see in the pictures at times a few of us needed a helping hand. Can't wait to do again in the summer!

The river at the start of the trail was the most difficult to navigate. Very slow to cross and I saw many people struggle. The rest of the trail was well marked with a few "viewpoints" that were worth the view.

Doing this hike for the 2nd time this Sunday.Whose game?

Hiked this several times in the '90's.
First time back since then.
I was surprised how many others were there, especially at the river crossings.
Never been in summer before, which was nice, although the views were less expansive in places.
This is harder than it looks on a map, but well worth it imo.
We only went as far as buttermilk falls and then looped back on the higher, dryer trail back to screw auger falls.
Highly recommend this hike. Give yourself more time than you think you'll need, as there are so many places to explore along the way.

The Grand Canyon of Maine. beautiful stops along the trail, well marked trails. it's not easy, but it's not very difficult either. make a whole day out of it. I have hiked this trail dozens of times and I still keep coming back. Good for kids, dogs, adults, etc.

This place is beautiful! Gorgeous waterfalls, ample wildlife, and pretty scenery. It's long, but not too vertical. Not great for those lacking full mobility, especially in the spring. There are multiple stream crossings that require removing your shoes. Also, invest in good bug repellent!

Did a wonderful hike in October. It was beautiful and the weather was perfect!

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Beautiful hike and the Rim trail is a must do, be sure to have a map or an understanding of the trails. Got lost towards the end and ended up lost in the dark. Thanks god for the very kind Appalachian hiker that found us lost and guided us almost a mile to where we could find our way. Did an 11 mile hike and would go again but plan better. Absolutely gorgeous and scenic. Loved it!!

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

What a phenomenal, scenic hike and swim. These are some of the coolest waterfalls I've ever seen, and swimming in them on a hot day was amazing. The trail is rated hard, but only constitutes that for a few sections of scramble. Upper body strength and stable footing is required to get back OUT of a few of the falls, but beyond that, a totally pleasant, moderate hike.

Will definitely be back with friends.

Thursday, August 04, 2016

Nice challenging trail!

Saturday, July 09, 2016

My 8 year old said "this is too easy". We were worried to bring the kids because other reviews said it was a really difficult hike and kids would have trouble. Views were less than spectacular. Don't waste the $12 per adult to take this walk in the woods.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Amazing trail. Rim trail follows along the edge of the gorge leading to one amazing view after another of the many waterfalls and drop offs. This trail is a must!

Monday, May 30, 2016

Amazing. Good, cold, and refreshing swimming at the end.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Awesome

Friday, July 03, 2015

Great trail

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Absolutely beautiful hike! Well worth the 9 hours drive for me. The trail was well maintained, clearly marked, and had amazing views! I thought the $2 map was a waste of money considering there are so many signs not to mention you can print the map for free online, see link. Already planning my next trip up there!

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Great hike! Would agree this is a moderate hike- Challenging on the way up, with varying terrain, but a rather easy climb down. Somewhat of a drive to get to the trail-head (it took us just over 2 hours from the east side of Moosehead Lake), but the trail has Beautiful scenery that continues to get better as you climb! It makes the drive and hike well worthwhile. We did have to remove our shoes to cross water at 3 separate places, so be prepared! I would not recommend this for children or dogs.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

We hiked this backward as to get the falls on the way back. I wouldn't say this is a difficult hike unless you go after it has rained and/or when there is snow. It is moderate. It was a great hike! The falls especially billings falls are great! I would not recommend taking children because it is slippery and close to the edge. The water is a bit cold when we went (5.24.14). I would say bring a pair of tevas and either leave them after the first crossing or carry them outside. If you don't have great balance or are going barefoot across the river I would get a walking stick to stabilize yourself. I saw 2 people lose their shoes because they were barefoot and carrying their shoes in their hand. (I would suggest not carrying your shoes in your hand but throw them around your neck or tie them to your bag tightly!) It is definitely a hike you have to do in Maine!

Sunday, June 16, 2013

First time hiking in a long while and let me tell you this trail is anything but easy. It's moderate to strenuous, but extremely worth it and enjoyable. There are great viewpoints and little critters to see along the way :) We were told it was a 6hour hike, but you could probably do it in 5 if you don't stop to see all the scenery, but where's the fun in that?!

My boyfriend and I had to cross two rivers to get to the first checkpoint, so be prepared to get wet! We had a few opportunities to jump into a waterfall but we didn't bring extra clothes.

I'm from California and a lot of the trails I hike are just dirt and some boulders. It was good to have new terrain. This trail was real fun and challenging for me.

Sunday, September 02, 2012

Please be advised many sites say six or so miles. This is correct, however one must hike 1.5 miles on the AT to get to the 6 mile loop and then pick up the AT once more on the way out.
One of the viewpoints wasn't signed well and we missed it. Screw Auger, Buttermilk and the Stair Falls were the best in my opinion. Of youre going to skip anything, make it the lower jaw. It's the steepest viewpoint and the farthest away from the main trail with the smallest waterfall. The lower jaw is more just water passing through rocks, no waterfall.
There are three "crossings" where you can take a side trail to other side of the loop to head out if you're tired or sore.
You will need to ford the river soon after leaving the parking lot. Highly recommend water shoes/flip flops/trekking poles for this as the rocks are VERY slippery! There is a way to get in on the other end of the trail. Stay on the dirt road for an additional 6 miles and go to the head of the falls. You can hike in at the opposite end. The water today (not much rain recently and Sept. 1) was a little over our hiking boots, not quite mid calf.
There is a privy in the parking lot nearest the Iron Works. We did not use, so cannot tell you condition.
Lastly, can enter area either from Greenville or Brownville. Regardless of entry, there are little ranger stations where use fees are collected. As of Sept. 2012, it's $6 each Maine residents and $10 each out of state. Maps are $2.
All in all a GREAT HIKE! In comparison to Moxie Falls, Moxie's are far higher and dramatic. However, this area isn't as heavily used and is less disturbed. In comparison to Smalls Falls, these falls are similar to the smaller Smalls Falls. However, Gulf of Hagas has a beautiful slate filled gorge with marble/quartz ribbons throughout. A must see, if only once.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Great for couples. Swimming holes at most of the five falls, with Screw Auger and Buttermilk being the biggest. Recommend checking out every single overlook. Look for veins of white quartz running laterally on your side and right across the canyon.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

That's a awesome place. I wish if i could reach there now!!! But i will obviously travel there within 2012. Hope i can enjoy the wildlife at there. And i'll feature a cover on this place. Thanks and keep updating the nice places.

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Absolutely awesome trail. Views are breathtaking. Trail has a mix of easiness and a small bit of climbing. My 8 yr. old had no trouble. Loved crossing the stream near end of trail. I will return at least twice every year. Once in the summer and in the fall.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

This is a moderately strenuous hike. Bring water shoes for the first part unless you like soggy feet for the remaining 6 miles. We were well prepared and enjoyed the many waterfalls including Scew Auger Falls. Quite a few spots where you have to scamble up and down. Toward the end of the trail there is a nice spot to picnic with 2 waterways joining together at the top of the rim. It was Beautiful and secluded. It was stunning walking through the hermitage of original early generation timber in the beginning and end of the trail. The gravel road to get to the trailhead was a bit long and rocky, but it's worth the slow drive in! I recommend this trail. It was fun and great for picture taking.