Gulf Hagas Trail

Gulf Hagas Trail is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Greenville, Maine that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Brownville Junction, ME: Travel SR 11 north for approximately 5.5 miles. The road will fork; you will bear left. A sign to the Iron Works designates the route. Travel this gravel road 6.8 miles to the Iron Works. Cross over the West Branch bridge and make a right at the first road. Travel 3.5 miles to the fork, bear left and cross another bridge over West Branch. Travel several miles until you cross the West Branch a third time. You will see a small pull-off on the left. The trail begins here.

One of my favorite hikes ever.

Love it; hubby and I have gone repeatedly. Unless your dog is VERY nimble and sure on their feet, you may want to keep them home; lots of holes and places they could hurt themselves.

I am overweight and just starting to hike again. The hike to Screw Auger Falls was perfect for me as it was challenging but not overwhelming. As I get in better shape I look forward to doing some of the longer hikes in this beautiful area of Maine.

Good trail. Well marked. Lovely views of the falls. Although rated hard, I didn’t find this trail to be too tough. I was able to complete it in 5ish hours. I also saw a moose on KI Works road on the way to the parking area.

Beautiful hike with tons to see! Trail in some areas are difficult to follow so highly recommend a map, but hands down would do this over and over again! Don’t forget to bring a pair of water shoes!

Loved every second of this hike! Breathtaking views! I highly recommend visiting!

I love this hike, totally New England. Love easy access to streams along the hike that you can just post up and have lunch next too. Would do again and again

A beautiful hike,came in from Greenville side,there’s a check point and it was 18$ for my friend and I , very easy to find trail head due to all the signs leading to it,however, even with a map we thought we’d be confident at first and did not need one,we ended up getting side tracked on a trail for 2 miles up to Lyford pond camps (whoops) realized,looked at map and returned to where the trail head was, encountered snakes rabbits birds and little roads ,the rim trail was rough Terrian in my personal opinion especially with how long it is ,was kind of disappointed that the signs were not better displayed ,I turned back at lower falls because none of the signs said screw augar but when I looked up online and map it said screw augar was after lower falls , so definitely bring a map if it’s your first time. We were concerned about if we would have to cross the river at some point but I never had that problem on this hike from the way I went in.Absolutely insane views and gorgeous land ,will be back again

Amazing hike, beautiful falls this map however doesn’t show the cut off trail that goes around the backside of the mountain. This it’s good to know, it’s easier ground to walk the final stretch when you’re tired.

Spectacular hike of amazing waterfalls in virtually untouched country. I’m a hiker, and this is one of my favorite hikes. Trail is well blazed. It is classified as difficult, but mostly a moderate trail. The only downside is the gnats.

Excellent hike, Rim trail was rough terrain, though the view was well worth it. My 13 year old daughter hiked alongside me and loved it as well.

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Nice hike. First half along the gorge was likely more rugged due to heavy rain the night before. Tour of Katadhin Iron Works and a moose sighting was a bonus!

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Amazing, worth the pain and sweat!

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Very nice, long hike, with spectacular views of the gulf. Albeit high season, not as trafficked as expected. By afternoon we were almost alone in the back part of the trail. Last bit that is not in the Alltrails trail is worth it if you have some more energy. Not as difficult terrain as previously.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

We did this as a day hike out from little lyford on snowshoes. Conditions were icy and at times we were a little nervous about getting through certain areas with my mom and our dog. That being said we all made it back safely. As you can see in the pictures at times a few of us needed a helping hand. Can't wait to do again in the summer!

Thursday, July 06, 2017

The river at the start of the trail was the most difficult to navigate. Very slow to cross and I saw many people struggle. The rest of the trail was well marked with a few "viewpoints" that were worth the view.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Doing this hike for the 2nd time this Sunday.Whose game?

Monday, July 03, 2017

Hiked this several times in the '90's.
First time back since then.
I was surprised how many others were there, especially at the river crossings.
Never been in summer before, which was nice, although the views were less expansive in places.
This is harder than it looks on a map, but well worth it imo.
We only went as far as buttermilk falls and then looped back on the higher, dryer trail back to screw auger falls.
Highly recommend this hike. Give yourself more time than you think you'll need, as there are so many places to explore along the way.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

The Grand Canyon of Maine. beautiful stops along the trail, well marked trails. it's not easy, but it's not very difficult either. make a whole day out of it. I have hiked this trail dozens of times and I still keep coming back. Good for kids, dogs, adults, etc.

Friday, June 02, 2017

This place is beautiful! Gorgeous waterfalls, ample wildlife, and pretty scenery. It's long, but not too vertical. Not great for those lacking full mobility, especially in the spring. There are multiple stream crossings that require removing your shoes. Also, invest in good bug repellent!

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Did a wonderful hike in October. It was beautiful and the weather was perfect!

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Beautiful hike and the Rim trail is a must do, be sure to have a map or an understanding of the trails. Got lost towards the end and ended up lost in the dark. Thanks god for the very kind Appalachian hiker that found us lost and guided us almost a mile to where we could find our way. Did an 11 mile hike and would go again but plan better. Absolutely gorgeous and scenic. Loved it!!

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

What a phenomenal, scenic hike and swim. These are some of the coolest waterfalls I've ever seen, and swimming in them on a hot day was amazing. The trail is rated hard, but only constitutes that for a few sections of scramble. Upper body strength and stable footing is required to get back OUT of a few of the falls, but beyond that, a totally pleasant, moderate hike.

Will definitely be back with friends.

Thursday, August 04, 2016

Nice challenging trail!

Saturday, July 09, 2016

My 8 year old said "this is too easy". We were worried to bring the kids because other reviews said it was a really difficult hike and kids would have trouble. Views were less than spectacular. Don't waste the $12 per adult to take this walk in the woods.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Amazing trail. Rim trail follows along the edge of the gorge leading to one amazing view after another of the many waterfalls and drop offs. This trail is a must!

Monday, May 30, 2016

Amazing. Good, cold, and refreshing swimming at the end.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Awesome

Friday, July 03, 2015

Great trail

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Absolutely beautiful hike! Well worth the 9 hours drive for me. The trail was well maintained, clearly marked, and had amazing views! I thought the $2 map was a waste of money considering there are so many signs not to mention you can print the map for free online, see link. Already planning my next trip up there!