Great Pond Mountain is a 2.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Orland, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hatchery Road off Rte 1. Small dam right there by the road. Go to the Federal Fish Hatchery @ Craig Brook. Visit the hatchery visitor center or drive straight ahead on the dirt road. Road goes right, stay right past the first gate you see. There is some hiking info on the board there. The trail head is jsut before the orange post/gate when the road turns private. Road is wide for parking. Trail is unmaked (8/11/10) but just before gate on the left looks like a dry stream bed. Starts out kind of steep, rate it moderate but gradual rise when you get up in elevation.

great trail. there is a cave tunnel on the ledge facing craigs pond on the ledge if your on top of the summit and you look down towards the trail you come up on it is the ledge next to it on the left there is a wooden bence and it is in front of it slightly to the left look for the crack in the ledge you can shimmy down into it and walk threw a tunnel about 20 feet and come out the other side of the tunnel

I would rate it easy-moderate. Like someone else said it is a mountain. But we love this trail. The views at the top are fantastic. My wife had open heart surgery 2 years ago. We are here for the season so we started our hiking by training on this trail. 4 months later I think she can hike just about anything.

Flying solo with 4 kids and a dog. It isn’t a flat trail by any means but enjoyable. Like others have said it gets steeper towards the top but the views are amazing!

Favorite hike in region. Great for children. Nice views from top. We often stop to pick blueberries half-way. Nice open areas on top to have lunch.

Had a great time up the mountain. Cardio on the way up, Strength training on the way down. Love this hike in our back yard.

One of my favorite places to hike. beautiful and quiet with lots of wildlife.

I hiked this trail with my 3 year old and my 2 year old was in a carrier. My 3 year old loved it! This was his first hike and he did so well. Trail was fairly easy to walk on, the last .9 miles is a gradual incline to the top.

Easy to moderate trail that is well marked with metal blazes, painted rocks and cairns. Beautiful views from the top.

Easy hike, nice views near top. I would call latter part a bit more moderate effort though.

beautiful trail! Have done it 2x now and the view will not disappoint!

Nice short hike. Close to home which makes it easy to get to after work!

nice 1 hour walk for kids and pets!

great spot

Thursday, August 31, 2017

My 2 sons and I climbed this today. We really liked it. I've lived in Orrington my whole life and never knew there where trails here. So excited to have found these.

Thursday, August 24, 2017

Beautiful views

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Nice little hike not too hard good view at the top! I'd say go for it!

Thursday, July 27, 2017

Easy, and quick. I hike this weekly, while wearing 2 kids in carriers.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Beautiful weather for the hike, incredible views at the top with not a cloud in the sky! Trail is steep, but clean and well marked.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Great easy hike. Almost the entire path seems to be paved with a sidewalk of granite. At the top there is an abundance of delicious wild blueberries. Went in early July so that seems to be the time to hit it if you want to try the blueberries.

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Nice easy hike! Hiked up with our two dogs, 15 year old and 8 year old! Beautiful views from the top!!

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Great trial! Beautiful and wide open at the top.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Did this on February 19, 2017. We had just received a lot of snow in the prior week so everything was deeply covered in snow. That being said, I cannot remark on the trails other than to say the trail markers were clearly visible on the trees. However, the view from the summit offered a very nice panoramic. I think this is deserving of another visit under better conditions.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Fun short hike with a rewarding view.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Make no mistake, it is a mountain. that being said, the trails were well kept and well marked. The view was stunning and well worth the hike up! I would recommend this to anyone!

Monday, August 29, 2016

Great views from the summit and all around. Lots of wildlife to stumble upon and catch photos of =) Very clean and well maintained trails with fool proof directions on maneuvering the mountain. Definitely worth the early morning wake up!!

Thursday, August 18, 2016

A bit hard to figure out where the summit is exactly, but it's a great, easy hike!

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Great for a 2-3 hike!
Its been 3 yrs since I last hiked the Wilderness area..
Lots of trail improvements and additions

Friday, July 08, 2016